Networks merging with affiliates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mark #61

• 16,227 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

fair enough. Although do you reckon Nine is getting enough profit to justify the $250m or whatever it was that they paid for it?

I would doubt it.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #62

• 18,546 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

IIRC, wasn't Nine's purchase of NBN a way to piss off WIN when they were renegotiating the affiliation deal? I also seem to recall it was at the same time WIN and Nine were going for STW-9 as well?
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #63

• Forum Administrator

• 11,314 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

IIRC, wasn't Nine's purchase of NBN a way to piss off WIN when they were renegotiating the affiliation deal? I also seem to recall it was at the same time WIN and Nine were going for STW-9 as well?

that's why i said:

although Nine's motives for buying NBN were different

it wasn't a purchase to seek a profit as such, but rather to put a spanner in WIN's works

OFFLINE   Big Dan #64

• 18,546 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

True, true...

Here's one to ponder (sort of the reverse of this thread)...do you fine folk reckon Nine would ever do a swap for NBN, and maybe NTD, for STW and NWS? That would put Nine equal with Ten (as in owning all 5 metro stations), and would be one less than Seven (given they own STQ)?

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #65

• Forum Administrator

• 11,314 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

True, true...

Here's one to ponder (sort of the reverse of this thread)...do you fine folk reckon Nine would ever do a swap for NBN, and maybe NTD, for STW and NWS? That would put Nine equal with Ten (as in owning all 5 metro stations), and would be one less than Seven (given they own STQ)?

I doubt WIN would give up NWS/STW too easily, they'll make Nine pay through the nose as well as hand over NTD/NBN :tongue:

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #66

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,278 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

That idea sounds like one of those ideas that makes so much sense and would be so beneficial to the viewing public that it could never happen. You could guarantee that WIN would demand full, if not excessive compensation, for the loss of NWS/STW, even if it did in a way add the final missing jewels to their crown
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #67

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

Bruce Gordon says that he's interested in purchasing the Nine Network's East Coast stations.

Bruce Gordon, the owner of WIN Corporation, says that he would be interested in purchasing the Nine Network's East Coast stations if the Commonwealth scrapped rules that restrict the audience reach of broadcasters.

http://www.mediaspy....in-buying-nine/

By the way, to respond to regionaltv's post on the previous page about whether the possibility of rules changes is just some far-off speculation: it don't think it is. Stephen Conroy's been vocal (in media circles, anyway) about wanting to get rid of the reach rules for months now - I recall reporting on it a few months ago, but he's been talking about it since last year and making the case. When he says he's going to put it into the convergent media review, he's not doing that because he's vague on the idea and wants a better indication: I would say that the Government will press quite hard to remove them if it were re-elected on 21 August (which is a line-ball thing).

OFFLINE   antzzz #68

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

Win to take over Nine - well given Nine's situation, it wouldn't surprise me... Who knows, it could actually signal a new lease of life for the network!
Do you like Australian grown grapes?
If so, how would you rather purchase fresh grapes from a supermarket? Vote Now!

OFFLINE   newtaste #69

• News Contributor

• 5,215 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:04 AM

No doubt that Gordon can afford to buy Nine. This is Gordon's part of Bermuda. He owns this headland at Wreck Bay.

http://maps.google.c...ode=&q= bermuda

OFFLINE   MATTB #70

• 3,022 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

i think it would be good if Gordon brought 9 but i would hope that he didn't mess around with the renaming of news,ect
Matt.B

OFFLINE   Lex #71

• Writer

• 3,371 posts since
  • November 2007

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

If Gordon did buy Nine what would the positives and negatives be for the network? Would Gordon be anything like Packer was in ensuring the news was of high quality for example?

OFFLINE   Mike #72

• 18,494 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

I wonder if we'd see WIN Melbourne :blink:

OFFLINE   MATTB #73

• 3,022 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

I wonder if we'd see WIN Melbourne :blink:

even know i already live in WIN land, i hope they don't make Melbourne viewers suffer but WIN would be better off renaming such as WIN Sydney, WIN Melbourne, WIN Brisbane, ect It would save alot of time in areas such as logo coverups, ect
Matt.B

OFFLINE   MATTB #74

• 3,022 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

If Gordon did buy Nine what would the positives and negatives be for the network? Would Gordon be anything like Packer was in ensuring the news was of high quality for example?

yeh, unless they keep running news as they currently do just under new branding i think it would be alright but I would hope if Gordon did by 9 that he would keep up to date with things like on-air presentations, quality news, ect.
IMO:
Positives: none/ having a new feel.
Negatives: Re-branding, programming, I would hope the quality would be better then what WIN in regional areas get currently such as no full HD.
Matt.B

OFFLINE   southernguy #75

• 1,383 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

even know i already live in WIN land, i hope they don't make Melbourne viewers suffer but WIN would be better off renaming such as WIN Sydney, WIN Melbourne, WIN Brisbane, ect It would save alot of time in areas such as logo coverups, ect

I think he would rebrand the regionals to Nine if he own the lot ?
southernguy

OFFLINE   MATTB #76

• 3,022 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

I think he would rebrand the regionals to Nine if he own the lot ?

mayb, i just thought he may want to use his branding over 9's but then again he didn't use WIN branding in Perth and Adelaide

Edited by MATTB, 03 August 2010 - 02:51 PM.

Matt.B

OFFLINE   fletch #77

• 532 posts since
  • January 2010

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

if i owned all of it id pick a name win or 9 and i would go with 9 would be more efficient, if he bought 9 i dont think he would hate 9 anymore. who know's how this man thinks

OFFLINE   MATTB #78

• 3,022 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

interesting to see if he would remove the balls
Matt.B

OFFLINE   Big Dan #79

• 18,546 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

Bruce Gordon says that he's interested in purchasing the Nine Network's East Coast stations.

http://www.mediaspy....in-buying-nine/

By the way, to respond to regionaltv's post on the previous page about whether the possibility of rules changes is just some far-off speculation: it don't think it is. Stephen Conroy's been vocal (in media circles, anyway) about wanting to get rid of the reach rules for months now - I recall reporting on it a few months ago, but he's been talking about it since last year and making the case. When he says he's going to put it into the convergent media review, he's not doing that because he's vague on the idea and wants a better indication: I would say that the Government will press quite hard to remove them if it were re-elected on 21 August (which is a line-ball thing).

That's quite the curveball - I'd reckon he could pull it off. Playout wise, I'd say he could move it to MediaHub, and have all the Nine stations come out of there. Branding...maybe he could have two brands - Nine for the metros, and WIN for the regionals (NBN and NTD would probably be rebranded to WIN - worth placing a fiver on that if it did go ahead).

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #80

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,278 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

There is absolutely no way "Nine" could ever justify changing its name, let alone changing its name to the name of a regional station in WIN. You'd either have Nine for Metro and WIN for the regionals, or you'd have Nine Victoria, Nine NSW etc (much like Seven Queensland). Either way the regionals would be independently branded (at least slightly)

But anyone who thinks that, even now Mr Packer has left the building, PBL would just roll over and give Nine to Bruce is sorely mistaken. What did Alan Bond pay for Nine back in the 80s? Because you'd probably see that increased by a large factor if it was to be sold again.
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org