tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   crankymedia #3

• 627 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

Discuss 97.3 here

Fix up the sub-heading here, ARN managed, but 50% DMG shareholding. Reverse is the case in Perth with Nova.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #4

• 8,407 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

According to today's SMH The Guide, ARN programming boss, Peter Yiamarelos has been told by the new chief executive, Ciaran Davis, to make fixing Mix a priority, after last week's ratings results revealed that Mix 106.5's brash attempt to take on 2DayFM this year with a younger-sounding team & playlist isn't making any headway with listeners (no surprises there :rolleyes:). The article is also hinting that management could consider moving Ant & Becks over from drive to the breakfast slot, in which they would provide an alternative to the FM breakfast boy-girl teams.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   dylanf #5

• 115 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

According to today's SMH The Guide, ARN programming boss, Peter Yiamarelos has been told by the new chief executive, Ciaran Davis, to make fixing Mix a priority, after last week's ratings results revealed that Mix 106.5's brash attempt to take on 2DayFM this year with a younger-sounding team & playlist isn't making any headway with listeners (no surprises there :rolleyes:). The article is also hinting that management could consider moving Ant & Becks over from drive to the breakfast slot, in which they would provide an alternative to the FM breakfast boy-girl teams.

What else did the article say about what management want mix to be?
Do you think they will change the music or just the programming?
If they move ant and becks to breakfast i wonder who will host drive?

Edited by dylanf, 18 May 2010 - 05:01 PM.

OFFLINE   Moe #6

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

So because trying to copy 2Day didn't work they are going to try something that failed on 2MMM in moving a national drive to breakfast?

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #7

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I always think it's a little crazy when a radio station such as Mix1065 changes their music quite dramatically but do not worry about changing:
- the station's slogan (Sydney's Fresh Mix)
- the station's programming (Six in the Mix)
- the station's logo
When the Austereo stations were relaunched to counter the Nova network they changed their:
- slogan (No.1 Hit Music)
- programming (Ad free 50s)
- logo (the blue dots)
When Mix changed its music it no doubt lost some listeners. To connect with newer listeners you think they would refresh themselves with a new slogan, programming and logo.

On a related topic (of promoting Mix)does anyone remember when radio stations would give away cash if you had their sticker on your car? Remember when it seemed like every car in Sydney had:
- the 2UW "Sydney: Australia's No.1 City" or
- the blue Triple M with Dr Dan (Stereo 105)
stickers on their cars?
It made it seem like everyone was listening to 1107 or FM105.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #8

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,285 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

Yep, reminds me of Triple M's relaunch at the start of last year. OK, let's change the music and add a new drive show for two days a week, but otherwise keep exactly the same branding. Then act surprised when the ratings fall
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator

OFFLINE   Sub #9

• 1,381 posts since
  • June 2008

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:59 PM

I always think it's a little crazy when a radio station such as Mix1065 changes their music quite dramatically but do not worry about changing:
- the station's slogan (Sydney's Fresh Mix)
- the station's programming (Six in the Mix)
- the station's logo

...When Mix changed its music it no doubt lost some listeners. To connect with newer listeners you think they would refresh themselves with a new slogan, programming and logo.

Mix did change their slogan from "Sydney. Feel Good." to "Sydney's Fresh Mix". Also, the Melbourne & Sydney Mix logos have been changed and 'freshened up' slightly from the rest of the network. You can see this very subtle change by visiting http://www.mix1065.com.au or http://www.mix1011.com.au and comparing it to http://www.mix1023.com.au . As I said, it was a subtle change to their logo (and slogan) but I too agree more of a change could be needed if the new format is to survive.

OFFLINE   dylanf #10

• 115 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Does anybody know what the mix network are doing over the non ratings period starting next week

OFFLINE   mattrobts #11

• 4,518 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Former 96fm Perth presenter Gavin Miller is presenting on Mix 1011 this afternoon.

Edited by mattrobts, 08 June 2010 - 01:08 PM.

OFFLINE   dk32 #12

• 2,644 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

I think MIX (Sydney in particular) has an image problem with the (image conscious) younger audience, because of it's 'Love God' factor and the fact that it has been a long time 80s and easy mix type station.

"Love Song Dedications" would NOT sit well with MIX's target audience in Syd/Melb, who would no doubt desert MIX in droves in the evening slot, even though it rates well with the older listeners
I'd reckon much of the overall 5.4% audience share for the over 40's for MIX Sydney comes from that program alone.

If MIX REALLY wants the younger audience, I think they need a complete re-brand (ditch the MIX name) and ditch 'The Love God'.

OFFLINE   Mark #13

• 16,291 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

or they could stop being awful woefully-inadequate rip-offs of the Today Network and go back and get those disenfranchised 35+ female listeners and apologise and promise never to leave them again.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #14

• 8,407 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

or they could stop being awful woefully-inadequate rip-offs of the Today Network and go back and get those disenfranchised 35+ female listeners and apologise and promise never to leave them again.

In an ideal world, that would be the best solution for MIX in Sydney/Melbourne to do. But of course, sadly, in today's world of cannibalisation between commercial FM operators in metro markets of Australia being pushed to the max (and therefore decreasing the musical variety between the 6 commercial FM stations that Sydney/Melbourne have), that's unlikely to happen. :(
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   Mike #15

• 18,526 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

I agree, if they want to go after younger listeners it needs an overhaul, they are still playing daggy music, a lot of the time songs FOX have played to death by then, their Love God Show and the even their name doesn't say much about the station.

Is it new music? Or a mix? No a cool name either.

OFFLINE   Snake #16

• 50 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

I think MIX (Sydney in particular) has an image problem with the (image conscious) younger audience, because of it's 'Love God' factor and the fact that it has been a long time 80s and easy mix type station.

"Love Song Dedications" would NOT sit well with MIX's target audience in Syd/Melb, who would no doubt desert MIX in droves in the evening slot, even though it rates well with the older listeners
I'd reckon much of the overall 5.4% audience share for the over 40's for MIX Sydney comes from that program alone.

If MIX REALLY wants the younger audience, I think they need a complete re-brand (ditch the MIX name) and ditch 'The Love God'.

Way off with Love Song Dedications.

It shouldn't fit in theory, but it actually does. Wether you love the show or you think it's a joke - you still listen. No 1 25 - 39 Female time and time again.

MIX wouldn't be able to do Hot 30 better, so Love Songs works for them. The reason it's successful is most likely Richard Mercer. When he finishes with the show, it will be interesting to see what Mix offer up.

Edited by Snake, 11 June 2010 - 11:21 PM.

OFFLINE   tiger_tim #17

• 643 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

MIX wouldn't be able to do Hot 30 better, so Love Songs works for them. The reason it's successful is most likely Richard Mercer. When he finishes with the show, it will be interesting to see what Mix offer up.

Paul Murray as The Love Muscle? :laugh:

OFFLINE   ewahwoowah #18

• 3 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:10 AM

While the night show on Mix might sound alright and it's number 1 females 25-39, the reality is very few advertisers will book it, and even if it is put on a schedule, the rate is so cheap and contributes such a small percentage of their overall revenue. However, if they did want to compete against the Today network, they should have changed it last year when they decided to compete with Austereo with their Mix brand. Unfortunately for ARN, MIX as a brand is old and the night show is as reflective of the MIX brand as any show. They've had a bit each way really, palyed younger music during the day, "youthed" their talent, but not changed the brand name, and kept the old show on at night. I agree with dk32, if they want to compete, ditch the MIX name and reformat every time slot to be reflective of whatever the new brand becomes.

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #19

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,285 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, we blokes watched the same thing happen at Triple M last year. They wanted to go young and reformat, but only half did it. So while some elements were new and refreshing, others such as the brand were still as old and dated as ever, and in the end the whole episode proved to be a disaster that Triple M have now conveniently tried to forget
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator

OFFLINE   Snake #20

• 50 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

While the night show on Mix might sound alright and it's number 1 females 25-39, the reality is very few advertisers will book it, and even if it is put on a schedule, the rate is so cheap and contributes such a small percentage of their overall revenue.

Yes - nights mean nothing really for stations cause the numbers of listeners are so low - so my earlier point of rating well really goes hand in hand with your point of advertisers - doesn't mean much really.

Simply - I'm just a fan of the show myself personally.

Edited by Snake, 13 June 2010 - 11:52 PM.