• Please log in to reply
817 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Lepatron #1

• Retired Admin

• 8,863 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

SEN 1323 has launched in Adelaide.
It has the same programming as the Melbourne SEN 1116 except Adelaide personalities have been added to the programs - including Marlk Bickley to the breakfast show, Mark Aiston to the Morning Show and Matthew Primus as a special commentator.

Also they will have a Soccer show with former 5DN soccer host Dom Rinaldo (who will be happy to keep his job after 5DN closed down to make way for SEN) and also a stand alone Adelaide program with Aiston, Bickley and Primus each Saturday morning.

The news SEN Melb and Adelaide will now be sourced from ARN's Adelaide HQ, which is where Mix1023 is also based. SEN Melbourne was using news from Southern Cross Network News.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Big Dan #2

• 18,602 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:14 PM

SEN 1323 has launched in Adelaide.
It has the same programming as the Melbourne SEN 1116 except Adelaide personalities have been added to the programs - including Marlk Bickley to the breakfast show, Mark Aiston to the Morning Show and Matthew Primus as a special commentator.

Also they will have a Soccer show with former 5DN soccer host Dom Rinaldo (who will be happy to keep his job after 5DN closed down to make way for SEN) and also a stand alone Adelaide program with Aiston, Bickley and Primus each Saturday morning.

The news SEN Melb and Adelaide will now be sourced from ARN's Adelaide HQ, which is where Mix1023 is also based. SEN Melbourne was using news from Southern Cross Network News.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Adelaide is a big soccer city...good move from SEN to keep a soccer show on the station. Does SEN Melbourne have one?

Also, any plans for a Sydney one? Maybe they could take over 2SM and give it a boost somewhat.
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Lepatron #3

• Retired Admin

• 8,863 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:36 PM

Adelaide is a big soccer city...good move from SEN to keep a soccer show on the station. Does SEN Melbourne have one?

Also, any plans for a Sydney one? Maybe they could take over 2SM and give it a boost somewhat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Melbourne SEN will take the Adelaide soccer show.

As for Sydney I can't see how it would work as a networked station because there is so much emphasis on AFL.... they'd have to have so much local programming and that may not be cost effective.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Big Dan #4

• 18,602 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:38 PM

Melbourne SEN will take the Adelaide soccer show.

As for Sydney I can't see how it would work as a networked station because there is so much emphasis on AFL.... they'd have to have so much local programming and that may not be cost effective.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some elements could be networked...I can see your point, but it'd be worth a try.

OFFLINE   pickles #5

• 186 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:39 AM

just read in the hearld sun southern cross br has helped bail out sen by buying a shareholding in the station

OFFLINE   Big Dan #6

• 18,602 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

just read in the hearld sun southern cross br has helped bail out sen  by buying a shareholding in the station

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't that contravene ABA rules?

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #7

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:02 PM

Wouldn't that contravene ABA rules?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends on the percentage... I think it's allowed if it's under 15%

OFFLINE   aussieguy05 #8

• 11 posts since
  • March 2005

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:15 PM

I've heard that SEN are taking the 2GB rugby leause call. Well done to them.

ONLINE   TV_Expert #9

• 8,408 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:32 PM

I've heard that SEN are taking the 2GB rugby leause call. Well done to them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a nice niche for Melbourne radio. ABC Radio, 3AW & Nine in Melbourne are so pre-occupied with AFL that they don't have NRL to fit in on their schedules.
Not even its own NRL team, the Melbourne Storm, gets any recognition on Melbourne radio, nor on Nine Melbourne. :))

The only ways to get NRL coverage in Melbourne is through Fox Sports & SEN.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   pickles #10

• 186 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:04 PM

pacific star network has had a trading halt could it take up its option to buy sen.

OFFLINE   sun #11

• 21 posts since
  • April 2003

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

For all the sports lovers in Adelaide...

Sports radio station SEN sounds like it's in trouble!!!

On local ABC 891, former 5DN radio announcer Jeremy Cordeaux will be on air to talk a bit about it.

According to latest goss, some sports announcers never rocked up for work because they haven't been paid for a while. Also, there's talk of putting SEN in voluntary administration.

In Adelaide, SEN replaced 5DN, but has failed to capture a large enough audience- a smaller share than 5DN actually.

Does anyone know more about this? Or heard anything from the various announcers on SEN?

OFFLINE   Bergoine #12

• 1,379 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:56 PM

If SEN goes down will 5DN make a return? Clearly they had better ratings. No AM music station in Adelaide at present. 5DN would work, Adelaide people couldnt give a damn about whats happening in Melbourne. They only want local sports stories.

OFFLINE   tvpatrol #13

• 36 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:48 PM

Apparantely 5DN will return - with Jeremy Cordeaux as the owner/manager and an announcer.

You will also find the classic hits format is gone. It will be a direct competition to 5AA.

Jeremy Cordeaux will take over the lease from SEN that is owned by ARN.

OFFLINE   Splashmo #14

• 11,390 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:52 PM

Sports network in trouble
Jane Schulze
26may05

THE radio careers of some of Australia's top sporting stars are under a cloud with sports radio network SEN believed to be seeking voluntary administration.

Management last night was locked in a meeting, but The Australian understands the privately owned business has been struggling under large operating losses.
SEN, or the Sports Entertainment Network, employs high-profile presenters such as former AFL players Dermott Brereton, Billy Brownless and Tim Watson.

Richmond star Kevin Bartlett and swimmer Nicole Livingstone are also among SEN's presenters.

SEN has adopted a unique business model, leasing the radio signal of the former 3AK radio station in Melbourne from Pacific Star Network, and the Australian Radio Network's 5DN station in Adelaide, both of which have been rebadged as SEN.

It was launched in Melbourne in January last year, becoming the first radio station to provide sports-focused radio programs, before starting in Adelaide this year.

But despite a buoyant radio advertising market SEN has faced an uncertain revenue base after its ratings failed to ignite.

source: The Australian

I was looking up 5DN's possible return to Adelaide when I found this.

Edited by splashmo, 29 May 2005 - 05:53 PM.

OFFLINE   Bergoine #15

• 1,379 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:29 PM

Apparantely 5DN will return - with Jeremy Cordeaux as the owner/manager and an announcer.

You will also find the classic hits format is gone. It will be a direct competition to 5AA.

Jeremy Cordeaux will take over the lease from SEN that is owned by ARN.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Adelaide is too small for 2 talkback channels. Brisbane and Perth are bigger but only have one commercial talkback station. Southern Cross should buy 5DN and affiliate it with AW etc and take the footy from next year if they are going down that path.

OFFLINE   tvpatrol #16

• 36 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:44 PM

Adelaide is too small for 2 talkback channels. Brisbane and Perth are bigger but only have one commercial talkback station. Southern Cross should buy 5DN and affiliate it with AW etc and take the footy from next year if they are going down that path.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't have thought Adelaide's too small. 5AA is the higest rating Adelaide station - ahead of all FM stations. If you work on the theory that Adelaide isn't big enough for more than one talkback station, then there isn't much room for more than one music station.

OFFLINE   Bergoine #17

• 1,379 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:10 AM

I wouldn't have thought Adelaide's too small. 5AA is the higest rating Adelaide station - ahead of all FM stations. If you work on the theory that Adelaide isn't big enough for more than one talkback station, then there isn't much room for more than one music station.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sydney is the only other place with more than one talkback station. 5AA is the leader, it will be hard to beat. 5DN should stick to music because there isnt an AM station with music. They should team up with 6IX, 4KQ etc.

OFFLINE   dk32 #18

• 2,658 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

I have read elsewhere that SEN have been placed in voluntary administration.

There was also apparently a report on 7 News Melbourne tonight, stating that an announcement regarding keeping SEN on air would be made by the end of this week (w/e 3 June).

I can only assume that SEN in Adelaide are also in voluntary administration also..?

ONLINE   TV_Expert #19

• 8,408 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (tvpatrol @ May 29 2005, 11:44 PM)

Let's compare with other cities, regarding how commercial stations in each city has a music & talk format:

Sydney
Talk: 3 (2GB, 2UE, 2SM)
Music: 6 (Nova, WS-FM, 2Day, 2MMM, MIX, 2CH)
Sport: 1 (2KY)

Melbourne
Talk: 2 (3AW, 3AK when or if SEN dissolves)
Music: 7 (Nova, MIX, Fox, Gold 104, 3MMM, Magic, 3MP)
Sport: 1 (Sport 927)

Brisbane
Talk: 1 (4BC)
Music: 6 (97.3FM, 4MMM, B105, Nova, 4KQ, 4BH)
Sport: 1 (4TAB)

Perth
Talk: 1 (6PR)
Music: 5 (92.9, Nova, Mix, 96fm, 6iX)

Adelaide
Talk: 2 (5AA, 5DN when or if SEN dissolves)
Music: 4 (Nova, MIX, 5MMM, SA-FM)

Of the capital city stations, Adelaide has the least amount of commercial radio stations which has a music format. Even Newcastle has the same amount of commercial radio stations that has a music format. eek.gif
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   dk32 #20

• 2,658 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:59 PM

Of the capital city stations, Adelaide has the least amount of commercial radio stations which has a music format. Even Newcastle has the same amount of commercial radio stations that has a music format.

I wouldn't quite put 2HD in the category of music format...

It is probably 50% talk/sport, 50% music.. they take John Laws, 2GB's NRL coverage and 2SM's talk programs at night among other things.

So make it 3.5 music stations. cheerful.gif

Mind you, if 5DN returns, I doubt it will go back to a 100% talk format either..
Maybe some talk, but I'd reckon a predominantly music format would be more likely... easy listening maybe?? (if not classic hits again).