Pacific Star Network

• Please log in to reply
817 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mike #81

• 18,464 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

Yeah I would have thought they could merge SEN into the new station. You get some talented sports anchors (could have a Sports Show from 8pm-12am to combat Nightline) and AFL on Weekends. While keeping the music station on air.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #82

• 8,331 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:20 PM

Those in the Fairfax sales department are most likely laughing their heads off now, as they have the number 1 talk station (with a footy call) in Melbourne - 3AW... AND now will have the only Golden Oldies/Easy Listening station in town.

This move does not make any sense!

It's the same situation in Sydney, except with a different owner, with Macquarie Radio Network having the number 1 talk station (with an NRL call team) in Sydney - 2GB, as well as having the only Golden Oldies/Easy Listening station in town. Fairfax-owned 2UE is seen by many Sydney radio listeners as an inferior talk station to 2GB.

Yep, the Melbourne commercial radio market will be very similar to the Sydney commercial radio market, as far as the ratio of commercial talk & music stations in the market are concerned. By that, I mean that in both cities, 64% of the 11 commercial radio stations are music stations, while the remaining 37% of the 11 commercial radio stations are talk-based stations.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   Mark #83

• 16,177 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

Fairfax-owned 2UE is seen by many Sydney radio listeners as an inferior talk station to 2GB.

yet those with an IQ above 100 would consider it to be the superior.

Edited by Michael Westen, 11 February 2010 - 06:22 PM.

OFFLINE   pickles #84

• 186 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

is 3mp going to be radio live

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #85

• Forum Administrator

• 11,265 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

is 3mp going to be radio live

what do you mean?

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #86

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,277 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

Confirmed on radioinfo.com.au - 3MP will be re-branded (yes a new name/call sign) in the 2nd quarter of 2010 and be the new talk station for Melbourne.

Good Call, Bad Call... BAD CALL.

1) 3MP does NOT have the football broadcast rights - A talk station without a football call in Melbourne is a dead station walking.

2) This gives Magic 1278 a LOCK on the Golden Oldies/Easy Listening market.

Those in the Fairfax sales department are most likely laughing their heads off now, as they have the number 1 talk station (with a footy call) in Melbourne - 3AW... AND now will have the only Golden Oldies/Easy Listening station in town.

This move does not make any sense!

CrowdedHouse (going WTF?)

You've hit the nail on the head CrowdedHouse. They've handed Fairfax not one, but two free kicks in the same move. It seems they've looked at the ratings figures and said "let's replace the lower rating station" without thinking it through. Instead now, they'll be trying to grow a station with ~3% and no footy coverage, when they could have turned a station with ~5% share and footy coverage into a real talk competitor.

Still, I can't complain. I love SEN and never listen to 3MP, so I'm glad it's staying :D But even with my favouritism, I can see it makes no sense
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   CrowdedHouse #87

• 439 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

You've hit the nail on the head CrowdedHouse. They've handed Fairfax not one, but two free kicks in the same move. It seems they've looked at the ratings figures and said "let's replace the lower rating station" without thinking it through. Instead now, they'll be trying to grow a station with ~3% and no footy coverage, when they could have turned a station with ~5% share and footy coverage into a real talk competitor.

Still, I can't complain. I love SEN and never listen to 3MP, so I'm glad it's staying :D But even with my favouritism, I can see it makes no sense

LOL - Same here - love listening to SEN, but for them it would have made good sense to turn SEN back in Talk 3AK.

Especially with one or two of their former presenters - I liked listening to Brett De Hoedt and Gavin Wood.

Here's an idea - get someone like Gavin Wood to do an overnight show live from the USA - makes sense - news events happening there at that time, and could give it an Australian view. Plus with the net these days, there would be no expensive international studio to studio hook up.

Expect to hear 3MP fans kicking up a stink soon.

OFFLINE   Mark #88

• 16,177 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

4 words here from me, and Pete, I would have thought you'd know this so I'm a bit surprised : never underestimate John Singleton.

OFFLINE   Moe #89

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:08 AM

Either a community station or a narrowcaster has the 3GB call sign and considering there is no heratige for the brand in Melbourne, there's no real point trying to pinch it. I'd expect some letters referencing either the talk format (3TL?) or Melbourne (3MB?).

I think while a frequency swap would be ideal, they shouldn't so they don't ruin SEN at the same time as killing MP. Still hope it lives on digital.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #90

• Forum Administrator

• 11,265 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

Either a community station or a narrowcaster has the 3GB call sign and considering there is no heratige for the brand in Melbourne, there's no real point trying to pinch it. I'd expect some letters referencing either the talk format (3TL?) or Melbourne (3MB?).

I think while a frequency swap would be ideal, they shouldn't so they don't ruin SEN at the same time as killing MP. Still hope it lives on digital.

maybe they'll just keep the MP call-letters and create a new on-air branding, like 3AK did with Talk 1116 and later SEN, and what 3UZ did with Sport 927, and 3EE to Magic. etc

But whatever 3MP does, it's going to have a monster struggle against 3AW. Especially given it's at the opposite end of the dial and good luck trying to persuade AW listeners to move their dial from 693 to a weaker signal (in some parts) on 1377 :P

OFFLINE   pickles #91

• 186 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

i mean macquarie own brand live news

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #92

• Forum Administrator

• 11,265 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:06 AM

i mean macquarie own brand live news

Apparently they will have their own newsroom yes

OFFLINE   Mark #93

• 16,177 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

Live News was the failed news website 2GB and 2CH ran last year.

Melbourne First 1377 3MP has a good flow, even though MP won't be used.

Also suggestions it will be programmed a 12/12 split with Sydney. From that I would suggest failure. Anything other than a local 5am to 8pm schedule would be suicidal. After 8pm with the lifestyle programs like Ross Greenwood's Money, that would be fine.

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #94

• 5,277 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

4 words here from me, and Pete, I would have thought you'd know this so I'm a bit surprised : never underestimate John Singleton.

Well, a few words from us south of the border too: Never underestimate how fickle Melburnians can be!
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator

OFFLINE   Mark #95

• 16,177 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

fickle? I would have gone fucked, but maybe that's just me ;)

OFFLINE   Rob_melb_au #96

• 21 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:17 AM

Melbourne is crying out for a mainstream left-wing talk station though - we aren't all conservatives

My thoughts on the new 3MP:

I think Jon Faine at 3LO is a mainstream left-wing commentator and I can't imagine too many ABC listeners switching to a commercial left-wing station (with a choice of no ads it would be a huge ask). As pointed out by others, 3CR 3RRR and 3PBS cater to the non-mainstream parties. Therefore more logic supports rightwing talk - and Steve Price is definitely more along those lines.

However, when 3AK was under President Kennett (of the Mighty Hawthorn Football Club - ok maybe you can guess which footy team whom I barrack for), there was plenty of high-profile right-wingers at the station to try and rest the commercial talk crown from 3AW, so it is tough, but not impossible. What 3AK lacked at the time was money and promotion - two things Singo does have a grip on. The other challenge is to get a few more personalities, as you cannot be dependent upon one (in fact the old 3AW slogan of *personality radio* is quite right - one personality leaves and there is another in the wings). The selection and enticement will be interesting and I hope they don't go for too much recycling (eg John Blackman who is currently at 3GG Warragul) In terms of the footy not being on "3xx", I would be curious to know if it is possible to relay/simulcast with SEN and of course, expect to see cross-promotion between SEN and 3xx. In essence a bit like the cross promotions between 7Two and Seven.

I reckon 3MP easy music will be retained as a digital radio only option. The message will need to go out hard and fast to the current 3MP listeners that "easy music" lives on - just buy a digital radio receiver.

The challenge with the signal on 1377 is not easily resolvable. Personally, I think 3MP's mistake was to be included as a Melbourne station. I think they always should have retained the positioning that they were a Mornington Pennisula stations and lobbied for a secondary licence similar to how 2KA in the Blue Mountains scored 96ONEfm. Anyhow too late now. With the studios moved to Richmond, 3MP has essentially sent a message to Melbourne's SE of we're not committed to you. Ditching the callsign 3MP is essential to complete the severing, but the location of the 1377 transmitter is I suspect not relocatable. Therefore I think the best option is to try and do a deal with either of the narrowcasters 3XY or 3RG or community station 3KND to swap transmitter and signal. Quite ironically, if they did the 3KND swap we would have a talk station on 1503 - in fact then you could change SENs formal call sign to 3SN and call the new talks station 1503 3AK..sort of déja vu!

Anyway just some thoughts. Enjoy!

Edited by Rob_melb_au, 14 February 2010 - 11:31 AM.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #97

• Forum Administrator

• 11,265 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

when 3AK was under President Kennett

I don't think 3AK was ever under the control of Mr Kennett. He was drive-time announcer, and IIRC was a minority shareholder in the station. I don't think he ever pulled the strings at the station. It might have been a better station if he did.

In terms of the footy not being on "3xx", I would be curious to know if it is possible to relay/simulcast with SEN and of course, expect to see cross-promotion between SEN and 3xx. In essence a bit like the cross promotions between 7Two and Seven.

ACMA, if they could be bothered, probably wouldn't look too kindly on SEN and 3MP sharing program content and the other stations would probably force ACMA into action as they did when 3MP was simulcasting across both 1377 and 693 frequencies. But times are different now, so it's hard to tell. I don't know if there is anything hidden in their licence conditions that state whether or not they can simulcast program content.

I reckon 3MP easy music will be retained as a digital radio only option. The message will need to go out hard and fast to the current 3MP listeners that "easy music" lives on - just buy a digital radio receiver.

The problem is, the same listeners can just as easy get the same music by moving the dial up slightly to 1278

The challenge with the signal on 1377 is not easily resolvable. Personally, I think 3MP's mistake was to be included as a Melbourne station. I think they always should have retained the positioning that they were a Mornington Pennisula stations and lobbied for a secondary licence similar to how 2KA in the Blue Mountains scored 96ONEfm.

2KA did not get ONE FM as a secondary licence. 2KA converted to FM to become ONE FM. They relinquished their AM position.

With the studios moved to Richmond, 3MP has essentially sent a message to Melbourne's SE of we're not committed to you. Ditching the callsign 3MP is essential to complete the severing, but the location of the 1377 transmitter is I suspect not relocatable. Therefore I think the best option is to try and do a deal with either of the narrowcasters 3XY or 3RG or community station 3KND to swap transmitter and signal.

I can't quite see 3XY, 3RG or 3KND relinquishing their positions, based in the northern suburbs, to go to 1377 which is focused on the SE and bayside suburbs. Those narrowcasters would be talking to a lot of their listeners in Melbourne's north and west and 1377 just doesn't reach there that well. But I suppose anyone can be bought if the price is right.

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #98

• 5,277 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

fickle? I would have gone fucked, but maybe that's just me ;)

Seems to be a recurring theme with those North of the border. Must be something to do with brain damage from all the butting heads they do in that rugby game they play :duck:

As for signal, I checked out the signal of both 1116 and 1377 driving in through Pakenham today, and surprisingly 1116 was clearer out that way, even though the TX is further away. Seems strange, but I think that guarantees one thing, this new station will take 1116

And I doubt they'd simulcast the AFL on the two stations, it'd just kill SEN's strongest programming. Basically, if they wanted footy on the new station, they should have scrapped SEN. But maybe they can appeal to the anti-football league on weekends (all 3 of them :D )
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator

OFFLINE   Mark #99

• 16,177 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

Crikey today claiming Andrew Bolt has left 3AW to join 3MP.

Yesterday, Bolt posted this blog in advance of the 3AW no-show, sparking rampant speculation in the comment string that 3MP would emerge as Bolt's new home. He said:

"Apologies to 3AW listeners for my non-appearance this morning on the 3AW spot I’ve filled for so many years. I’ve loved working with Ross and John, but plan to do something rather more ambitious -- something I am certain will appeal to many blog readers.

I’ll let you know more when I can."

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #100

• Forum Administrator

• 11,265 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

Yesterday, Bolt posted this blog in advance of the 3AW no-show, sparking rampant speculation in the comment string that 3MP would emerge as Bolt's new home. He said:

figured there had to be some reason for his no-show on 3AW it but must have been at short notice because if Bolt can't make it they usually get someone else to fill in so must have just been sprung on AW at the last minute?