771 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mark #181

• 16,405 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:17 AM

& at #5 the 33k 2VLY :laugh:

more POWER to them Hat ;)

Even Power sounds better than NX and that's saying something!

OFFLINE   Radio_Expert #182

• 676 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

Its a shame that KO and NX can't provide high bitrate (128k or above) internet streaming to as an alternative the crud that the transmitters are pumping out. And when will Caralis put his radio stations online?

OFFLINE   dk32 #183

• 2,782 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

Caralis does have a few of his stations streaming..

2TM/92.9 Tamworth, 2AD / FM100.3 Armidale, 2MO Gunnedah, NOW FM Moree, 2NZ Inverell, 2PK Parkes are amongst those that do.

But oddly enough, most of the larger stations, notably Newcastle, Dubbo and Lismore are not....
Also odd that in some markets, only either the AM or FM station does streaming eg. 2PK but not ROK FM

OFFLINE   CrowdedHouse #184

• 439 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

Actually DK32, you're incorrect with 2PK Parkes.

Though there is links on the site, when it's working, they just stream 2SM only (it's in the fine print on their site)

OFFLINE   dk32 #185

• 2,782 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

ah, thanks for that Crowded House ...i've never actually tried it!

OFFLINE   IanG #186

• 1,339 posts since
  • October 2008

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

Wonder who "He" is that they keep crapping on about on NX-FM
"To The Memory of Ian Craig, The Legacy of Des Hoistead and the ghost of 2KY" - Tommy from Campbelltown

OFFLINE   Mark #187

• 16,405 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:29 AM

probably just the tired old "Fugitive" format that used to run on all the Hit Music stations and on KO in Newcastle.

OFFLINE   dano33 #188

• 168 posts since
  • June 2008

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

New FM had Rick Dees top 40 on tonight. Just so I've got this straight. It's 80's in the morning, Newcastle's hottest songs in the afternoon, love songs on weekday nights and Rick Dees top 40 on Sunday nights.. All over the shop I reckon! Just wish they would pick something and stick to it!

OFFLINE   dk32 #189

• 2,782 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

I couldn't agree more, dano33.. New FM IS all over the place..

I do long for the 'glory days' of NEW (1989-1992 was when it was at its' peak I reckon)..

The beginning of the end came in '92 with conversion of KO and NX to FM (which levelled the playing field), NEW was overtaken by NX in the ratings not long after KO/NX were bought by Austereo in '97, and the final straw came when Bill Caralis bought 2HD/NEW in '99... it's been all downhill (pretty much) since..

OFFLINE   IanG #190

• 1,339 posts since
  • October 2008

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

I couldn't agree more, dano33.. New FM IS all over the place.. I do long for the 'glory days' of NEW (1989-1992 was when it was at its' peak I reckon).. The beginning of the end came in '92 with conversion of KO and NX to FM (which levelled the playing field), NEW was overtaken by NX in the ratings not long after KO/NX were bought by Austereo in '97, and the final straw came when Bill Caralis bought 2HD/NEW in '99... it's been all downhill (pretty much) since..

Can't argue with that. Been like aggrigation for radio.
"To The Memory of Ian Craig, The Legacy of Des Hoistead and the ghost of 2KY" - Tommy from Campbelltown

OFFLINE   timmy #191

• 99 posts since
  • November 2007

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

it shits me too tears how they know it isnt working but continue going down the same path that they are i dont understand it
it needs to go back to being newcastles best rock new fm website is shit they dont have streaming capabilities most stations do by now

and ko need to go back to there format as well

OFFLINE   dano33 #192

• 168 posts since
  • June 2008

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Where did sarge come from that has joined Sarah and Steve this year?
Also, there is a new tv add for New fm. I caught it last night. No sign of it on YouTube, so no link

OFFLINE   matt86 #193

• 166 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

As requested in the Newcastle ratings #3 thread, I have done an audio air check of the Newcastle FM stations of Triple J, NXFM, NEWFM & KOFM all broadcast from Mt Sugarloaf.

The air check was done to compare audio quality of the stations mentioned, the file is 33MB (sorry guys about the size). It's in .flac format as I wanted it to be as close to off air as possible, so used a compressed lossless format, you may need additional codecs if playing in Windows Media player.

It was recorded this morning straight off air using a Pioneer HiFi, recorded onto my Mac using Audacity, the sound hasn't been fiddled with at all, it's straight off air.
Due to the heat, Triple J has some multi-path distortion in it today, but you still get the general audio quality.

Mark, I don't think it will be too hard for you to figure out, but would be interested in others thoughts about the audio quality & the order of the stations.
Each station has about 1 minute of audio, total file about 4 minutes, to give you a good listen & feel for the sound quality.

Newcastle FM Radio Audio Quality Air Checks - http://www.freespace...lehosting/68749

That link is now gone but very interesting subject to raise GlennP. I know from listening off-air in the car when up that way that KO and especially NX audio sound like shit. Either someone has set up some really whacky processing or there is something wrong in the airchain. NX is distorted and has no top end all (probably the "dullest" commercial station in the country). JJJ and New are head and shoulders above KO/NX. Would be interesting to look at them on the mod meter. Not sure if anyone up that way here has access to that kind of gear.

As for Power fm there Hatdj, they have the opposite problem to NX last i heard them - lack of processing (not too dissimilar to Nowra)

OFFLINE   mal #194

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Where did sarge come from that has joined Sarah and Steve this year?
Also, there is a new tv add for New fm. I caught it last night. No sign of it on YouTube, so no link

She was at.Nova 937 and 919 before networking took her gig

OFFLINE   Mark #195

• 16,405 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

here's one out of left field that I didn't see coming - Alex Flack, who people would remember from the brilliantly under-resourced but highly talented and kicked-in-the-arse-by-the-fuckwits-at-DMG and ex Star Gosford, has been appointed as EP of the David and Tanya breakfast show on KOFM.

OFFLINE   mal #196

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

here's one out of left field that I didn't see coming - Alex Flack, who people would remember from the brilliantly under-resourced but highly talented and kicked-in-the-arse-by-the-fuckwits-at-DMG and ex Star Gosford, has been appointed as EP of the David and Tanya breakfast show on KOFM.

Good on him, surprised? Yes! But glad to hear that he has a gig after the summer drive!

OFFLINE   Mark #197

• 16,405 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Good on him, surprised? Yes! But glad to hear that he has a gig after the summer drive!

he's a good young man and has heaps of talent, so it's good to see that he's got a gig.

OFFLINE   mal #198

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

he's a good young man and has heaps of talent, so it's good to see that he's got a gig.

Yeah, I met Rod & Flack first in '07 and glad to hear both doing well!

OFFLINE   Time & Temp #199

• 221 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:01 AM

Good to see The Flack back working full time in radio although I still think he should be on air on one of the Sea's, Hot's or Star's with a female co-host anchor. He sounded great over summer on Gold-FM.

OFFLINE   Mark #200

• 16,405 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Dave Gleeson's Rock of Ages starts midday on KO from Tuesday. Dave's thrilled to be back in his hometown on his favourite radio station. KO will be taking the LocalWorks version.