Winners and Losers

• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   seanie #1

• 2,444 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

Seven channels SATC

CHANNEL Seven has signed former McLeod's Daughters star Michala Banas and All Saints favourite Virginia Gay for a female-skewed drama series.

The series, with the current working title of Winners And Losers, is said to be a tightly written piece akin to Sex and the City.

A source close to the production said the pilot would be filmed in Melbourne this week.

One male name rumoured to be attached to the series is the aforementioned McDonough. Is his return to reality TV (Dancing With The Stars) already paying dividends?

source

ONLINE   Mr. J #2

• 9,315 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Micheala Banas is great, virginia gay is not someone i would have imagined would suit a sex&the city type show but we'll see.

i wonder what this means for the other development; walsh street shootings. it started production before this and to my knowledge hasn't had a pilot order yet. if there was a choice between the 2 winners and losers would be the easy choice.

Edited by Jerome, 23 May 2010 - 11:44 AM.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #3

• 20,038 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

if there was a choice between the 2 winners and losers would be the easy choice.

I agree. We need something new and different in Australian drama, even if its inspired by US television.

OFFLINE   TJ. #4

• 10,723 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

It is good to see something new and creative from networks with this and Ten's Offspring looking promising.

OFFLINE   antzzz #5

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

Sounds like that drama Seven had with Lisa McCune and that ranga that was based in Melbourne.... they were lawyers or something? Only lasted 1 season back in the very early '00s...??
Do you like Australian grown grapes?
If so, how would you rather purchase fresh grapes from a supermarket? Vote Now!

OFFLINE   Ryan #6

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,174 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

Marshall Law
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   jimbo #7

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

Another really imaginative name for a drama! :crazy:

OFFLINE   craig77 #8

• 858 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Sounds like that drama Seven had with Lisa McCune and that ranga that was based in Melbourne.... they were lawyers or something? Only lasted 1 season back in the very early '00s...??

Alison Whyte is the 'ranga' in question..

OFFLINE   InTheWild #9

• 4,270 posts since
  • March 2008

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

I am all for new Aussie drama. Hope it is successful. From what I have heard it sounds more like Lipstick Jungle (which was pretty much a more subdued version of SATC). Will be good to have new Aus offering on Seven after the tennis rather than same old same old.

OFFLINE   J Bar #10

• 15,054 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

Another really imaginative name for a drama! :crazy:

It's right up there with Rescue Special Ops and Cops LAC. :P
J Bar

ONLINE   Mr. J #11

• 9,315 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

Another really imaginative name for a drama! Posted Image

It's right up there with Rescue Special Ops and Cops LAC. Posted Image

it's not that bad, it's not hardly a ch9 title like "2 Womens' Love Lives". the article says it is the working title anyway.

OFFLINE   TJ. #12

• 10,723 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

And anyway it says "working title" so it may not be final.

OFFLINE   jimbo #13

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

It's right up there with Rescue Special Ops and Cops LAC. :P

which is obviously what I was referring to...

OFFLINE   Leostar #14

• 4,758 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Finally something different and Melbourne based that isn't a cop drama!
Love Viginia and Michala :)

One male name rumoured to be attached to the series is the aforementioned Blair McDonough

Hmmm....

Edited by Matts BB, 25 May 2010 - 05:21 PM.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #15

• News Contributor

• 4,496 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

Finally something different and Melbourne based that isn't a cop drama!
Love Viginia and Michala :)

Hmmm....

Clearly what they want is someone with reasonable acting ability / good looks. Why they may be looking at McDonough though beats me.

OFFLINE   yola10go #16

• 10 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

I was lucky enough to have received an online survey and have viewed the 42 minute pilot for this on the weekend.

In summary, its about 4 old female school friends who meet up again after 10 years at their "all girls" high school reunion. These 4 women were the nerds/ugly ones or the "losers" at school. They are all reluctant to go to the reunion since they know the pretty/popular girls would be their to judge them etc. The 4 women all get on well and after a few drinks, decide to gang up and embarrass the main popular girl (Michala Banas) at the reunion as revenge for being teased at school etc.

So there starts the special bond that is rekindled for these 4 women. They end up leaving the reunion have a big night out together having lots of fun. The next morning all hungover they go to a newsagent and decide to buy a lotto ticket together. And guess what? They win $8 million dollars! Thats where the episode ends.

It's quite a different style of comedy/drama to the usual Australian series, which I liked. Its similar to Lipstick Jungle but more based around the friendships than just the "I'm a successful independant sexual women" theme. The acting was good but a bit over the top and immature to make it more of a light hearted comedy drama. The only question is where do they take the storyline to now? It could become quite far fetched.

Edited by yola10go, 05 July 2010 - 10:26 AM.

OFFLINE   seanie #17

• 2,444 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

Sounds interesting, but like you say it could get quite far fetched. I think the biggest issue with Listick Jungle was the extremely unlikable characters, if Winners And Losers is like that then I can't see it resonating with viewers.

OFFLINE   yola10go #18

• 10 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Sounds interesting, but like you say it could get quite far fetched. I think the biggest issue with Listick Jungle was the extremely unlikable characters, if Winners And Losers is like that then I can't see it resonating with viewers.

The characters were okay, though more episodes needed to form an opinion. However they have gone for the "blonde, red head, brunette" formula!

Virgina Gaye (ex All Saints) is the successful city business girl. She is very carefree in this a lot different to her All Saints role.

Melanie Vallejo (ex Packed to the Rafters/Dare Ice Coffee Ads) is the party girl/unemployeed sleeps around type.

Red head girl, (Ive seen her before but don't know her name) is the serious type, not sure of anything else about her character but she is dating Blair McDonough.

Overweight "Ugly Betty" type girl (never seen her before on TV but very good actor) is the IT support girl, still lives at home with parents concious of her looks etc.

There was a bit of sex and drug taking in this pilot so I would say it could be a 9:30pm timeslot, but I fail to see how the mid-30s age bracket could warm to the characters since none of the girls were married or had kids and a bit immature for their age. Also it felt like a teen movie like Hating Alison Ashely or Looking for Alabrandi.

Edited by yola10go, 05 July 2010 - 11:47 AM.

OFFLINE   BJT #19

• 3,660 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

So has this show got the go ahead? could we see maybe a start this year?

OFFLINE   jimbo #20

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

So has this show got the go ahead? could we see maybe a start this year?

No and No.