NBN News

• Please log in to reply
644 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   crankymedia #1

• 638 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

Biggest story of the year, probably a few years for the NSW Far North Coast, Richmond/Tweed TV region with the Lennox Head waterspout. How did NBN go at covering this story?

Anyone working/watching the bulletin have any thoughts? Self reviews very welcome, disguise them if you feel like.

OFFLINE   dk32 #2

• 2,716 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

Biggest story of the year, probably a few years for the NSW Far North Coast, Richmond/Tweed TV region with the Lennox Head waterspout. How did NBN go at covering this story?

Anyone working/watching the bulletin have any thoughts? Self reviews very welcome, disguise them if you feel like.

Didn't see last night's news unfortunately...

Tonight though, the first two reports here in Newcastle were both on the Lennox Heads cleanup.
Both reports were done by the two reporters at NBN's Lismore bureau (Sharlene King and Jonathon Lea).

In relation to the sub-heading of this thread... "Newcastle and Northern NSW's finest"...

Here in Newcastle, it's the only choice for local news.
On the far north coast, NBN wins the 6pm ratings against Prime News, largely because of Prime's inability to produce more than 1 or 2 reports from that region for what is meant to be a Taree-Murwillumbah bulletin (where Taree and Port Macquarie news dominate the bulletin). I have little doubt that if Prime had a bulletin that was dedicated to the old NRTV market of Kempsey - Murwillumbah, it would win the timeslot in the Lismore and Coffs Harbour regions.

The 'finest' bulletin (according to the ratings) in Taree-Port Macquarie and throughout the North West Slopes / New England is Prime News.

One of NBN's long standing problems has been the middle (Northern NSW wide) 15 mins of bulletin.
I think they make some poor choices content wise.
Tonight for instance, they aired a Gold Coast report on a Merrimac schoolkid being chosen to sign the national anthem at the 2nd State Of Origin match in Brisbane.
Totallly irrelevant to everywhere but the Gold Coast.
And every night this week, they have been airing specials on the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Newcastle, which is fine for the Newcastle market, but irrelevant to everyone else.

Much of this issue comes back to NBN's lack of local news, which only acocunts for 7 mins near the top of newshour, plus another 6 mins for local sport & weather at around 6:48pm.

OFFLINE   Mark #3

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

NBN were first on the ground in Lennox Heads, their reporters covered everything in the first 10 mins of the bulletin including live phoners. NBN obtained exclusive footage of the spout coming onto land, which Nine News took and branded as "First On Nine."

OFFLINE   Mark #4

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

My Home My News - Jim Callinan

My Home My News - Warren Smith

OFFLINE   Mark #5

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

My Home My News - Port Macquarie

OFFLINE   Mark #6

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

My Home My News - Mike Rabbitt

OFFLINE   Mark #7

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

My Home My News - Tamworth #1

My Home My News - Tamworth #2

OFFLINE   dk32 #8

• 2,716 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for those videos, Michael.

(how did you manage to get them from different NBN markets??
It's always interesting to see what approach NBN takes with their promos in their lower rating markets like Tamworth and Port Macquarie where Prime is numero uno compared to Newcastle where there is no competition).

I don't think these promos are as good as some of the ones NBN have done in the past...
No problems with the visuals, music or camerawork, it's just what is said on-screen could have been scripted better.
It just doesn't sound as convincing as it could have been...

OFFLINE   Mark #9

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

I got them from an NBN YouTube account! :)

OFFLINE   Mark #10

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

NBN has a "Trust the Experience of Laurie Oakes" promo at present, utilising Ray, Tash and Peter Harvey.

The endboard is NBN News' standard one with Ray's VO "this election, see it first on NBN News"

OFFLINE   Mark #11

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

http://www.mediaspy....d-news-for-nbn/

OFFLINE   TV King #12

• 849 posts since
  • September 2004

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

http://www.mediaspy....d-news-for-nbn/

I can definitely vouch that NBN Gold Coast was sitting in black. Wasn't just a problem in Newcastle.

OFFLINE   IanG #13

• 1,325 posts since
  • October 2008

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

I can definitely vouch that NBN Gold Coast was sitting in black. Wasn't just a problem in Newcastle.

A friend of mine staying up at Singleton told me they were having the same problem. So it must've been the same all over.
"To The Memory of Ian Craig, The Legacy of Des Hoistead and the ghost of 2KY" - Tommy from Campbelltown

OFFLINE   Mark #14

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

NBN News tomorrow night will premiere new weather graphics and systems. They just did a quick preview and they look superb.

Apparently they are using new state of the art systems that can predict and show weather events in minute detail.

OFFLINE   Mark #15

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:43 PM

will do my best and get some vids up tomorrow night/Tuesday morning.

OFFLINE   Mark #16

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:43 AM

I don't know whether to laugh or cry: all TV guides have NBN News going HD as of tonight.

Have they not heard about GO! moving to HD????

OFFLINE   lexington #17

• 1,434 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

Have they not heard about GO! moving to HD????

GO! isn't moving to HD....

OFFLINE   Aurora #18

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 6,034 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

That's happened several times of the past four or five years Mark. It usually lasts for around one week. There was a week a few years ago when each breakaway NBN program (from Nine that is) I remember had HD listed next to all of them (including the home shopping).

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   Mark #19

• 16,343 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

GO! isn't moving to HD....

the rumours from the last few weeks suggest it is. So thanks for that update - the new one must be going HD instead :)

OFFLINE   lexington #20

• 1,434 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

the rumours from the last few weeks suggest it is. So thanks for that update - the new one must be going HD instead :)

all i know is the new channel coming on top of Nine and GO!