NBN News

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   dk32 #41

• 2,728 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

NBN had a LIVE cross tonight to reporter Kate Mitchell, who has been covering David Beckham's arrival in Newcastle.
She was stationed outside a Newcastle hotel where a throng of people was waiting for the arrival of Beckham and co for a function.
It was the lead story tonight on NBN right across Northern NSW.

It was a quite lengthy coverage, but it would have seemed like a bit of overkill for viewers north of Newcastle.
Much of it would have been better suited to the local window only.

Anyhow, it's good to see NBN doing live crosses (if only occasionally) and their access to Nine's reporters for intros to some stories helps to break up the pure studio delivery of reports.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #42

• 18,696 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

NBN had a LIVE cross tonight to reporter Kate Mitchell, who has been covering David Beckham's arrival in Newcastle.
She was stationed outside a Newcastle hotel where a throng of people was waiting for the arrival of Beckham and co for a function.
It was the lead story tonight on NBN right across Northern NSW.

It was a quite lengthy coverage, but it would have seemed like a bit of overkill for viewers north of Newcastle.
Much of it would have been better suited to the local window only.

Anyhow, it's good to see NBN doing live crosses (if only occasionally) and their access to Nine's reporters for intros to some stories helps to break up the pure studio delivery of reports.

Kate's a local NBN reporter...not a Nine Sydney reporter.
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   dk32 #43

• 2,728 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

Kate's a local NBN reporter...not a Nine Sydney reporter.

Yes, I know.. I didn't mean to infer that Kate was a Nine reporter... apologies if my post was confusing...

OFFLINE   Big Dan #44

• 18,696 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

NBN are running tributes to Ray throughout this week...and they've put them up on YouTube...

Check out the hair and fashion! :P

OFFLINE   Big Dan #45

• 18,696 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

Part 3 - prawn scoffer, dodgy with directions, athlete(!?!?), model...and a dingo-related blooper...

OFFLINE   Mark #46

• 16,355 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

outstanding 10 min tribute to Ray Dinneen tonight, including from Peter Overton, Lisa and Karl and at the end of it his family and news staff behind the desk.

If NBN or Dan don't post a video, I'll do so later tonight.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #47

• 18,696 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

outstanding 10 min tribute to Ray Dinneen tonight, including from Peter Overton, Lisa and Karl and at the end of it his family and news staff behind the desk.

If NBN or Dan don't post a video, I'll do so later tonight.

Go your hardest, I'm capped and I have to get up early tomorrow to head down to Newie for Xmas shopping, so I don't think I'd be able to. I got it recorded, and can export it to a USB stick, but I'd be up to all hours doing it. :P

As for the tribute...very nicely done.

BTW...here's part 4 from yesterday...

OFFLINE   Mark #48

• 16,355 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:51 AM

OFFLINE   dk32 #49

• 2,728 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

Yes, I thought Friday night's 'tribute' was mostly well done too..
Just a couple of things.

1. I found the choice of Peter Overton for a farewell message was a bit strange, given that he is rarely seen on NBN these days (not since 60 minutes anyway).
Perhaps a message from another network personality like Tracy Grimshaw at ACA would have been more suitable.

2. The Newcastle-centric selection of NBN's own reports used in terms of the 'big' news stories presented by Ray over the years.
They didn't use anything like the Lennox Head storms or Coffs Harbour floods for instance - even the Knights 97 NRL Grand Final win got another run (again).

It was also a bit unfortunate that Ray chose to retire on a night when NBN had only a 30 min bulletin because of the cricket.
The tribute caused the bulletin to run overtime by 5-10 mins, cutting into the live cricket action.

Edited by dk32, 18 December 2010 - 03:18 PM.

OFFLINE   The Sifon #50

• 5,928 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:24 PM

1. I found the choice of Peter Overton for a farewell message was a bit strange, given that he is rarely seen on NBN these days (not since 60 minutes anyway).
Perhaps a message from another network personality like Tracy Grimshaw at ACA would have been more suitable.

Yeah Overton was strange. Chris Bath would've been way more appropriate for obvious reasons. Was there any message from her?

Edited by The Sifon, 22 December 2010 - 02:26 PM.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #51

• 18,696 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

Yeah Overton was strange. Chris Bath would've been way more appropriate for obvious reasons. Was there any message from her?

Nope...I'd dare say the "she-is-working-for-the-enemy" thing would be the thing preventing Chris from appearing in Ray's last bulletin.

Although, I have heard around the traps that the two didn't really get along in their day...or something like that, don't take it as gospel.

OFFLINE   crankymedia #52

• 638 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:58 AM

Pity Ray wasn't still around reading, would've been great to link first hand experiences from Newcastle to Christchurch.

And horror of all horrors, NBN took the TCN feed of rolling news instead of anchors in Newcastle throwing to an overseas feed.

You do remember the good ol days, only 2001 when NBN were still doing their own late news and handled the Sep 11 bombings.

Edited by crankymedia, 23 February 2011 - 02:01 AM.

OFFLINE   Con #53

• 1,711 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

Pity Ray wasn't still around reading, would've been great to link first hand experiences from Newcastle to Christchurch.

And horror of all horrors, NBN took the TCN feed of rolling news instead of anchors in Newcastle throwing to an overseas feed.

Everybody got the same feed except for 6pm timeslot. You do not hear us south of the border complaining. The economics will not add up. How is it the horror of all horrors?

OFFLINE   Big Dan #54

• 18,696 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

NBN are currently streaming the Knights members meeting at www.nbnnews.com.au

OFFLINE   Big Dan #55

• 18,696 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

A lot of sound issues with the stream, I've given up as my brother and sister-in-law seem to think that downloading 10-15GB torrents is funny before he leaves for holidays and as a result, I am more than likely capped, less than a week into the new billing month.

OFFLINE   dk32 #56

• 2,728 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

I don't think there would have been much benefit of having Ray on deck, the Christchurch quake was A LOT worse than the Newcastle 1989 one.

And I don't see the point of having Newcastle anchors crossing to an overseas feed for rolling coverage.
Apart from having a more recognisable face introdue the cross, it's not going to add 'value' to the viewer experience.

Given the number of rolling Nine Network news coverages we've seen on NBN with various disasters particularly in recent times, I think NBN need to realise that they need to find a way to make the NBN & Nine News brands gel better. It would make the rolling coverages seem more integrated with the local news product and make such a transition from one to the other seem smoother and more integrated.

I would co-brand the NBN News product eg. brand it as "NBN Nine News" and use the Cool Hand Luke theme and graphics package, which would mean the switch from local to Nine News's coverage or vice versa is much smoother and more seamless.

NBN News at 6pm even seems like it's in denial that the Nine News brand even exists, given the different theme music/graphics package and how much care they take are to not let any "Nine News" signoffs go to air (it RARELY happens) and even replace it (in some cases) with a pre-recorded "NBN News" signoff.

It just looks awkward having two conflicting news 'looks' when so much of Nine News's content ends up on NBN's News anyway...(more than half of NBN's news content originates from Nine).

OFFLINE   Mr Wade #57

• 1,143 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

Does anyone happen to have a recent NBN News Opener by any chance?

OFFLINE   Mark #58

• 16,355 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Melissa Mallet from QTQ9 did a pre-recorded standup for NBN last night - we get a few from Sydney and the Gold Coast, haven't seen a QTQ one before.

Also agree with the NBN Nine News brand.

OFFLINE   dk32 #59

• 2,728 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

Melissa Mallet from QTQ9 did a pre-recorded standup for NBN last night - we get a few from Sydney and the Gold Coast, haven't seen a QTQ one before.

Also agree with the NBN Nine News brand.

Funny how they only do them from Sydney/Gold Coast - and rarely from Newcastle (let alone anywhere else in Northern NSW). :laugh:

Edited by dk32, 02 March 2011 - 06:11 PM.

OFFLINE   dk32 #60

• 2,728 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:53 AM

Does anyone know what's happened to Mike Rabbitt - haven't seen him present the sports news on NBN for a while now....

Also noticed that NBN are still running their 'voice of experience' news promos. Which is somewhat ironic now given that Ray Dinneen has retired and that the current news presenting/local reporting crew are all relatively inexperienced...

Apart from Mike, Natasha Beyersdorf is now probably NBN's most "senior" news personality and she has only been presenting consistently for the last 3-4 years (since Melinda Smith stepped down from the weeknight presenters' role).

Both anchors (Paul Lobb and Natasha) have been filing news reports as well as presenting lately too.
Most nights NBN Newcastle have had only 1 or 2 news reporters on duty to file reports (which probably explains the above).