Wollongong Radio

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #1

• 8,416 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

Looking at i98's website & C91.3's Wikipedia page just then, both stations now air "Saturday Night Party Hits" at 9pm-Midnight Saturdays, playing all the party favourites from the 70s to today & is presented by Tony M.
In the Wollongong market, it goes head-to-head with a similar program (but automated) on Wave FM, while in the Campbelltown market, it goes up against WS-FM's "Jukebox Saturday Night", which is more or less similar to i98/C91.3's program. For listeners in Sydney (as well as in Campbelltown), this program would provide a decent alternative to the offerings on among the Sydney commercial music radio stations.

Looking at their Now Playing/Recently Played feature on both their websites this afternoon, i98/C91.3 seems to be playing slightly more 80s music on a typical hour, probably as a reaction to MIX 106.5 becoming more of a 2Day clone.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   tiger_tim #2

• 643 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Looking at i98's website & C91.3's Wikipedia page just then, both stations now air "Saturday Night Party Hits" at 9pm-Midnight Saturdays, playing all the party favourites from the 70s to today & is presented by Tony M.

The same guy that does HITstory? Do they air on any other stations, because HITstory definately has the sound of one of those weekend networked music magazines

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #3

• 8,416 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

The same guy that does HITstory?

Yes.

Do they air on any other stations, because HITstory definately has the sound of one of those weekend networked music magazines

Well, the only other station the program is heard on is i98's sister station in Campbelltown, C91.3.

Even though it's not mentioned on the sub-title of this thread, I guess C91.3 can be discussed on this thread, even though it serves the Campbelltown market, not Wollongong. This is due to the fact that they share quite a lot of programming with i98, particularly on weeknights & weekends. Also, its music playlist is shared between both stations most of the time, even when local programming is on for each station.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #4

• 8,416 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

Looking at the ad on this week's Campbelltown local newspaper, Macarthur Chronicle, C91.3 in Campbelltown is now airing "Rob Doorey's At Work Network" at 9-10am weekdays, which means that the "Ten From Then", which airs on the same timeslot, is now heard only on i98.

Speaking of i98, looking at their "Recently Played" feature on their website just now, they've played "Panama" by Van Halen sometime in the last 15-20 minutes. I guess one could say that i98 plays a better variety of music than Wave FM at present, even though i98's format is more CHR-skewed. :)

OFFLINE   matt86 #5

• 162 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

Speaking of i98, looking at their "Recently Played" feature on their website just now, they've played "Panama" by Van Halen sometime in the last 15-20 minutes. I guess one could say that i98 plays a better variety of music than Wave FM at present, even though i98's format is more CHR-skewed. :)

A few weeks back I heard both i98 and Wave play Van Halen - Dreams at the same time, one only a few seconds ahead of the other

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #6

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

A few weeks back I heard both i98 and Wave play Van Halen - Dreams at the same time, one only a few seconds ahead of the other

Are you sure one wasn't a few seconds behind instead?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong

OFFLINE   matt86 #7

• 162 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Are you sure one wasn't a few seconds behind instead?

Might have been :scratchchin:

OFFLINE   PZ. #8

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,735 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

C91.3 might have been somewhere in between :stirthepot:

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #9

• 8,416 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

Interesting. Normally, Wave & i98 playing the same song at the same time would normally apply to more recent songs, not 80s songs. :blink:
Speaking of which, last Saturday at around 4:10pm, both Wave & i98 were playing the latest Powderfinger song at around the same time.

What this says is that for a stand-alone region of nearly 300,000 people, it's quite ridiculous that the region's only two commercial radio stations are actually sounding similar to one another, all in the name for ratings. :no:
At least the Sydney stations can be heard into many parts of the region quite well, so that rock music radio fanatics can listen to 2MMM or Classic Rock instead, while older music radio listeners can listen to WS-FM or 2CH instead. ;)

Edited by TV_Expert, 17 June 2010 - 07:21 PM.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #10

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

Whatever happened to the talk that Wave was changing its positioner? "Very soon" seemed to be mentioned,& that was well over a month ago. :scratchchin:
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #11

• 8,416 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

Whatever happened to the talk that Wave was changing its positioner? "Very soon" seemed to be mentioned,& that was well over a month ago. :scratchchin:

Yeah, I tuned to Wave FM briefly this morning, and they were still using the "Radio That Rocks" positioner.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #12

• 8,416 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

According to an ad in my local Campbelltown newspaper that I've received this morning, the "Ten From Then" on C91.3 is now on-air sometime during Lyndal Rogers' 12-3pm slot instead of the 9-10am slot (due to their "At Work Network"), where i98 still airs the "Ten From Then" on its original slot.

OFFLINE   bestonboard #13

• 53 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:14 PM

Okay so I was a little ahead of myself, but it took a while to get everything ready for the positioner rerun.

In case you haven't heard, Wave is back to 'playing whatever we feel like.' Told you it was familiar.

OFFLINE   mal #14

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Lol that's original :P

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #15

• 8,416 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

In case you haven't heard, Wave is back to 'playing whatever we feel like.' Told you it was familiar.

I thought so too when I flicked over to Wave FM briefly over the last couple of days & then compared it with what i98 was playing at that time. At around 2:30pm on Monday, Wave was playing "Hot n Cold" by Katy Perry, whilst i98 was playing "Bulletproof" by La Roux, both of which are commonly heard on each other's stations. Then just after 10pm on Tuesday, Wave was playing "Mr Mysterious" by Vanessa Amorosi, while i98 played "Funhouse" by Pink.

What this says to me is that after their ill-fated "Radio That Rocks" phase (without having a Nielsen radio ratings survey during that phase), Wave have gone back to what they're doing best for the last 4 years: being pretty much a carbon copy of i98.

Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the ABC & Sydney stations when in Wollongong & the Illawarra region, because Wave & i98's music formats both being pretty much the same to one another doesn't really appeal to me (I'm not really into 'Hit Music' radio), yet I'm only nearly 24 years of age. Personally, when in Wollongong & the Illawarra region, I would listen (in no particular order) to Classic Rock, Triple M, WS-FM, 2EC (through 765AM from Bega in areas right next to the coastline), ABC Illawarra & Triple J first before bothering with either Wave or i98.

It is truly a sad state of affairs on what Wave & i98 have been reduced to, considering that they were sounding quite good around 5 to 15 years ago, when they both had a rather distinct music format from one another, with Wave having a "Hits & Memories" format, while i98 had a "Today's Best Music" format.

Edited by TV_Expert, 15 July 2010 - 09:38 AM.

OFFLINE   Sub #16

• 1,381 posts since
  • June 2008

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

It would have been better if WaveFM had used "Illawarra's Widest Variety of Music".

OFFLINE   Mark #17

• 16,310 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

or even things like "Maximum Music Variety" or a gem like "Love the great songs, stay for the bad ones to end" :)

OFFLINE   bestonboard #18

• 53 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

But unfortunately none of those work. Their music variety lacks, their music library is way too small. There are so many songs they COULD be playing, but choose not to. They stick to what they know their loyals like, but don't take risks in any way to try to get more of an audience - and I think taking risks is what makes radio great. Shame really.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #19

• 8,416 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Their music variety lacks, their music library is way too small. There are so many songs they COULD be playing, but choose not to. They stick to what they know their loyals like, but don't take risks in any way to try to get more of an audience - and I think taking risks is what makes radio great. Shame really.

Exactly my thoughts, regarding Wave FM. It used to be quite a good station up to about 5 years ago, but has since gradually gone downhill, all in the name of competing heavily with i98 instead of trying to stand out further from its main competitor. :sad:

On another note, looking at their Now Playing/Just Played feature on their respective websites, it seems that i98 & C91.3 have reinstated their own music logs. This means that outside of networked programming (eg. "After Hours" with Stolzy at 6-10pm weeknights), each of those stations has a completely different music logs, despite still having similar music formats to one another.

Edited by TV_Expert, 15 July 2010 - 10:48 PM.

OFFLINE   tiger_tim #20

• 643 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

Driving home from work at approx. 11.15pm, I heard some sort of music show on i98fm (it didn't appear to be airing on C91.3FM) - two guys discussing bands and members. Nothing about it on the website