New radio stations for Newcastle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #1

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

will there be any more radio stations for newcastle in the next copple of years.
(Aba is trying to kick NBN off VHF :rolleyes: )

OFFLINE   Big Dan #2

• 18,468 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:37 PM

will there be any more radio stations for newcastle in the next copple of years.
(Aba is trying to kick NBN off VHF  :rolleyes: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so...the market isn't there for 3 commercial FM stations...and why does the ABA want NBN to move off VHF channel 3? I've read somewhere that the ABA wasn't going to move any stations off their original channels unless they were interfering with other digital signals. Who would be using channel 3 for digital that close to Newcastle?
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   dk32 #3

• 2,504 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:40 PM

hi jay,

firstly, i don't think so...

1. There are no suitable frequencies available.
2. Newcastle has 4 commercial radio stations, same as Canberra, and 1 more than the Gold Coast (all about the same size markets). I doubt Ncle could sustain a 5th station, and in any case, it would be unlikely to add diversity to the Ncle market.
3. I think it will be a few years yet before the ABA eventually gets around to revising all of the radio licence area plans.

I also think Ncle needs a 3rd community licence more than it needs a 5th commercial licence. Canberra, Gold C and even Central Coast each have 4, Ncle only has 2.

Finally, the ABA tried to get NBN to move to UHF 12 years ago (around the time aggregation started), but it lost a court case trying to force NBN to vacate Channel 3.

It seems like we will have to wait until analogue TV ceases (2011 at the earliest) before ANYTHING much happens anyway (NBN digital is on UHF).

OFFLINE   Big Dan #4

• 18,468 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:46 PM

Finally, the ABA tried to get NBN to move to UHF 12 years ago (around the time aggregation started), but it lost a court case trying to force NBN to vacate Channel 3.

It seems like we will have to wait until analogue TV ceases (2011 at the earliest) before ANYTHING much happens anyway (NBN digital is on UHF).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why was the ABA trying to do that (to let another FM broadcaster in?)? Why did NBN try to fight it?

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #5

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:56 PM

Why was the ABA trying to do that (to let another FM broadcaster in?)? Why did NBN try to fight it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well all i know is now they are trying to do it again because then am station can swich to FM in port stevens. It would also mean more frequancies which may atract new radio stations. NBN Digital is on UHF so it would make sence to move anologe to UHF to like all the other stations.

OFFLINE   dk32 #6

• 2,504 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:59 PM

Yes, the ABA wanted to make more FM frequencies available for radio (NBN's VHF 3 signals makes the FM frequencies from 88 to 92 mhz unusable around here).

NBN basically fought it (I guess) to maintain its' position.
(I guess they didn't want to risk losing viewers to Prime and NRTV).
* They also argued that it was unfair in that neither Prime or NRTV were being asked to vacate VHF frequencies in their markets.
* There was the issue of cost (apparently it would have cost $3 mil to move NBN to UHF analogue).

I think the courts got this decision wrong.. I don't see why NBN would have been unfairly disadvantaged by moving to UHF. It didn't seem to have done WIN Wollongong any harm...

It should have been "in the public interest" for NBN to move so that these frequencies could be cleared to allow the Newcastle public to have access to more radio stations.

We now have a somewhat ridiculous situation (where I am) of often having THREE stations all jammed on 98.1 for instance (Power FM from Muswellbrook, News Radio Gosford and i98 Wollongong).

94.9, 95.7, 96.3, 96.5, and 97.3 are other frequencies that often suffer from 'jamming'.

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #7

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

Yes, the ABA wanted to make more FM frequencies available for radio (NBN's VHF 3 signals makes the FM frequencies from 88 to 92 mhz unusable around here).

NBN basically fought it (I guess) to maintain its' position.
(I guess they didn't want to risk losing viewers to Prime and NRTV).
* They also argued that it was unfair in that neither Prime or NRTV were being asked to vacate VHF frequencies in their markets.
* There was the issue of cost (apparently it would have cost $3 mil to move NBN to UHF analogue).

I think the courts got this decision wrong.. I don't see why NBN would have been unfairly disadvantaged by moving to UHF. It didn't seem to have done WIN Wollongong any harm...

It should have been "in the public interest" for NBN to move so that these frequencies could be cleared to allow the Newcastle public to have access to more radio stations.

We now have a somewhat ridiculous situation (where I am) of often having THREE stations all jammed on 98.1 for instance (Power FM from Muswellbrook, News Radio Gosford and i98 Wollongong).

94.9, 95.7, 96.3, 96.5, and 97.3 are other frequencies that often suffer from 'jamming'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NBN interfears radio in port stevens and newcastle the aba are trying to get them to move to UHF so the ABC can go fm there would also be room for new stations read this it's interesting

http://www.aba.gov.a...cuments/ABC.pdf

Edited by Jaybonzi, 09 January 2005 - 09:08 PM.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #8

• 18,468 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:06 PM

Fair call then...from the looks of things, NBN's trying to delay the inevitable...I can't see why they couldn't move to the UHF band at the time of aggreation. They haven't mentioned the "Channel 3" since 1990 at least, IIRC.

Was the same move tried in the Upper Hunter, where three transmitters (NBN 10 Rossgole Lookout Upper Hunter, NBN 10 Banderra Downs Merriwa and NBN 1 Mount Helen Murrirundi) relay NBN on VHF?

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #9

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:10 PM

Fair call then...from the looks of things, NBN's trying to delay the inevitable...I can't see why they couldn't move to the UHF band at the time of aggreation. They haven't mentioned the "Channel 3" since 1990 at least, IIRC.

Was the same move tried in the Upper Hunter, where three transmitters (NBN 10 Rossgole Lookout Upper Hunter, NBN 10 Banderra Downs Merriwa and NBN 1 Mount Helen Murrirundi) relay NBN on VHF?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure might say in the PDF file i have linked above its current to.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #10

• 18,468 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:23 PM

Not sure might say in the PDF file i have linked above its current to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just read it...it looks like it is only relating to reception problems in the Newcastle-Port Stephens area.

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #11

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:29 PM

I've just read it...it looks like it is only relating to reception problems in the Newcastle-Port Stephens area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes but 2HD and ABC are trying to get on FM and 3 of the 5 proposed need NBN off VHF read these aswell :rolleyes: http://www.aba.gov.a...astle_Nov04.pdf

http://www.aba.gov.a...astle_Nov04.pdf

OFFLINE   Big Dan #12

• 18,468 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:33 PM

Yes but 2HD and ABC are trying to get on FM and 3 of the 5 proposed need NBN off VHF read these aswell  :rolleyes: http://www.aba.gov.a...astle_Nov04.pdf

http://www.aba.gov.a...astle_Nov04.pdf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can understand why the ABC want to get on FM, but why 2HD? 2HD seems fine on AM, I'd say they could use the same arguement that NBN uses to stay on channel 3.

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #13

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:34 PM

I can understand why the ABC want to get on FM, but why 2HD? 2HD seems fine on AM, I'd say they could use the same arguement that NBN uses to stay on channel 3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know why :rolleyes:

OFFLINE   dk32 #14

• 2,504 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:53 PM

2HD reception suffers most noticeably around Nelson/Shoal Bay areas, and 2HD are in fact the ones who want a FM translator to rectify reception deficiencies in that region.

Whatever happens, 2HD will continue to use 1143 AM for it's main Newcastle, Lake Macq coverage (that is NOT in question).

Interestingly, KOFM/NXFM are both up in arms about the 2HD FM translator as the signal from Gan Gan Hill near Nelson Bay, 'overspills' into Newcastle to some extent (KO/NX are both claiming that it amounts to something of an 'FM conversion' ie. 2HD now in some respects have an FM signal which can heard in Newcastle (on 97.5)).

KO/NX want 2HD to have an AM translator in that area or to use day/night switching ie. increase power on 1143 AM in the day time to resolve the reception problems.

Given that JJJ is getting an FM frequency for Port Stephens (91.9), will KO, NX and possibly NEW as well now ask for one too?

NBN interfears radio in port stevens and newcastle the aba are trying to get them to move to UHF so the ABC can go fm there would also be room for new stations read this it's interesting

Seems like it will be at least 2011 before ABC can switch on translators in Port Stephens for JJJ (91.9) and ABC Classic FM (92.7) until NBN analogue VHF Channel 3 ceases.

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #15

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:39 AM

2HD reception suffers most noticeably around Nelson/Shoal Bay areas, and 2HD are in fact the ones who want a FM translator to rectify reception deficiencies in that region.

Whatever happens, 2HD will continue to use 1143 AM for it's main Newcastle, Lake Macq coverage (that is NOT in question).

Interestingly, KOFM/NXFM are both up in arms about the 2HD FM translator as the signal from Gan Gan Hill near Nelson Bay, 'overspills' into Newcastle to some extent (KO/NX are both claiming that it amounts to something of an 'FM conversion' ie. 2HD now in some respects have an FM signal which can heard in Newcastle (on 97.5)).

KO/NX want 2HD to have an AM translator in that area or to use day/night switching ie. increase power on 1143 AM in the day time to resolve the reception problems.

Given that JJJ is getting an FM frequency for Port Stephens (91.9), will KO, NX and possibly NEW as well now ask for one too?
Seems like it will be at least 2011 before ABC can switch on translators in Port Stephens for JJJ (91.9) and ABC Classic FM (92.7) until NBN analogue VHF Channel 3 ceases.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think KO or NX will because their already FM. Also KO and NX can be herd in the car as far away as buladelah where 2hd and jjj can't.

OFFLINE   dk32 #16

• 2,504 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:08 PM

JJJ is also FM and operates at 80kw, compared to only 20kw for KO and NX. So I'd be VERY surprised if anyone can get KO or NX but can't get (102.1) JJJ.

So if JJJ can mount a case for a FM repeater in Port Stephens, I'm sure KO, NX (and NEW) could as well.

Bulahdelah actually gets pretty good Newcastle AM/FM/TV reception, mostly because the immediate terrain to their south is pretty flat.. unlike Nelson/Shoal Bay, where signals from Newcastle are blocked by the hills around Gan Gan, just south of Nelson Bay...

OFFLINE   Big Dan #17

• 18,468 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:14 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think all the Newcastle radio stations, the ABA and NBN need to sit down and sort this out for the benefit of the viewers and listeners...this is getting into the realms of the ridiculous...

I don't think KO or NX will because their already FM. Also KO and NX can be herd in the car as far away as buladelah where 2hd and jjj can't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

KO and NX can also be heard as far up as Scone in the Upper Hunter! :rolleyes:

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #18

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:31 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there a transmision power map for gangan transmiter on the net. to show how far the reception travels.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #19

• 18,468 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:36 PM

Is there a transmision power map for gangan transmiter on the net. to show how far the reception travels.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try the ABC's site...I think they've got maps that show the extent of the signal...

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #20

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:47 PM

Try the ABC's site...I think they've got maps that show the extent of the signal...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just looked but it's not under gan gan or port stevens. :rolleyes: