New radio stations for Newcastle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Jaybonzi #21

• 423 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:09 PM

When NBN3 ceases these frequncies will become avalable B)

Edited by Jaybonzi, 11 January 2005 - 05:30 PM.

OFFLINE   dk32 #22

• 2,783 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:09 PM

This is the ABC Radio coverage map for Local Radio 95.7 and Radio National 98.3 operating from Gan Gan Hill at Nelson Bay.

http://www2b.abc.net...smissionid=5475

When NBN3 ceases these frequncies will become avalable 

I can't see ANY of those frequencies ever being available in Newcastle (at high power), because

88.5 - is used by 2RRR Ryde Sydney.
If 102.1 JJJ and 106.1 ABC FM can be heard in Sydney, I dare say any high power service for Newcastle could also & it would be likely to interfere with these (low power) suburban stations in their areas.
89.3 - is used by 2GLF Liverpool, Sydney. As above.
90.1 - Is used by 2NBC Southern Sydney. As above
90.9 - has already been allocated as high power service 150kw to ABC News Radio Illawarra. Other high power Wollongong ABC services on 95.7, 97.3, 98.9 can in heard in Newcastle on a good day - there is the potential for interference on this frequency in the Ncle area (for instance, high power digital TV service WIN Ch 36 from Wollongong is apparently causing reception problems for NBN high power digital Ch. 36 in some parts of Newcastle)..
91.7 - adjacent frequency 91.9 has been allocated to JJJ Port Stephens
92.0 - as above
100.5 - has been allocated to ABC Local Radio in Dungog.

OFFLINE   tm77 #23

• 34 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:48 AM

You know, the other day, I was watching Prime Television from the Mid North Coast. I live in northern Wollongong :o ! There seems to have been a few "good days" recently. Incedentally, when this happens, I struggle to receive my local station (i98fm on 98.1) due to fairly severe interference from 98.1 Gosford (Newsradio I think). The interference is bad enough at normal times let alone on "good days" ;) . IMO NewsRadio Gosford should be moved from their frequency (98.1) as there are too many stations on that frequency in too small an area (Musswellbrook, Gosford and Wollongong/Illawarra). I can't see any reason why 95.9mhz couldn't be used in Gosford.

You know, I can't even receive Wollongong Analogue or digital TV stations where I live, and yet I can receive NBN Digital on CH 36 and analogue (CH 59 I think) on good days.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #24

• 8,501 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

You know, the other day, I was watching Prime Television from the Mid North Coast. I live in northern Wollongong  :o ! There seems to have been a few "good days" recently. Incedentally, when this happens, I struggle to receive my local station (i98fm on 98.1) due to fairly severe interference from 98.1 Gosford (Newsradio I think). The interference is bad enough at normal times let alone on "good days"  ;) . IMO NewsRadio Gosford should be moved from their frequency (98.1) as there are too many stations on that frequency in too small an area (Musswellbrook, Gosford and Wollongong/Illawarra). I can't see any reason why 95.9mhz couldn't be used in Gosford.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is mostly due to NBN not clearing off the VHF-3 frequency in Newcastle sometime after aggregation occured there.

You know, I can't even receive Wollongong Analogue or digital TV stations where I live, and yet I can receive NBN Digital on CH 36 and analogue (CH 59 I think) on good days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whereabouts in Northern Wollongong do you live? I'm just curious considering your situation.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   dk32 #25

• 2,783 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:06 PM

I can't see any reason why 95.9mhz couldn't be used in Gosford

Only that 2CCC uses 96.3 at Gosford.... they would be too close together.. stations serving the same market are supposed to 0.8 mhz apart..

And unfortunately I think we are stuck with the 98.1 problem.. I have here too.. sometimes all 3 stations are jammed on that freq.

Perhaps 100.5 would be the best bet until NBN switches off VHF 3.

That's interesting, as WIN digital in the Illawarra is also Ch 36..
I've heard of people in southern Sydney having this problem with their WIN digital reception, but I didn't think it would affect Wollongong at all...

We have the same problem here in Newcastle (Charlestown area). As all 5 digital channels here (36, 37, 38, 51, 53) are the same frequency as the 5 Illawarra digital channels, we have a lot of problems with 'blocked' signals at this time of the year.

NBN's main analogue signal is on VHF 3 (as already mentioned earlier in this thread). I'd be surprised that if you could get that in Nth Wollongong, partly because (as far as I'm aware) WIN still uses Ch 3 in North Wollongong (from Brokers Nose).

Ch 59 is WIN analogue in the Illawarra.

OFFLINE   tm77 #26

• 34 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

Perhaps 100.5 would be the best bet until NBN switches off VHF 3.
That's interesting, as WIN digital in the Illawarra is also Ch 36..
I've heard of people in southern Sydney having this problem with their WIN digital reception, but I didn't think it would affect Wollongong at all...

We have the same problem here in Newcastle (Charlestown area). As all 5 digital channels here (36, 37, 38, 51, 53) are the same frequency as the 5 Illawarra digital channels, we have a lot of problems with 'blocked' signals at this time of the year.

NBN's main analogue signal is on VHF 3 (as already mentioned earlier in this thread). I'd be surprised that if you could get that in Nth Wollongong, partly because (as far as I'm aware) WIN still uses Ch 3 in North Wollongong (from Brokers Nose).

Ch 59 is WIN analogue in the Illawarra.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) Oops... I was thinking about the WIN freqency as I wrote that. I meant CH 3!

I live in the Helensburgh area, and the terrain towards Sydney & Gosford is rather flat compared to the terrain towards the Knight's Hill transmitter (all the more reason to not use the same frequencies in Gosford as are used in the Illawarra, I would have thought :o .) and may partly explain my inability to pick up the Illawarra TV signals.

WIN3 Brokers Nose only operates at a low ERP (500w towards Sydney) so NBN3 is easily receivable on good days. WIN3 have also been allocated CH.41 UHF I believe.

Perhaps 100.5 would be the best bet until NBN switches off VHF 3

Yes, I thought of that frequency as well, but hasn't that been allocated for Dungog service? What about 99.5 at 200w? There's a possibility of adjacent channel interference to community stations in Sutherland and Bankstown, so perhaps not. The sooner NBN switches off channel 3 the better I say :P .

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #27

• 8,501 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:28 PM

I live in the Helensburgh area, and the terrain towards Sydney & Gosford is rather flat compared to the terrain towards the Knight's Hill transmitter (all the more reason to not use the same frequencies in Gosford as are used in the Illawarra, I would have thought  ;) .)  and may partly explain my inability to pick up the Illawarra TV signals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That explains why in a summer day that as I travelled up the F6 from Wollongong, i98FM is being interfered with ABC Newsradio from Gosford between Helensburgh & Waterfall. The strange thing is that I was still within i98FM's licence area when I got that interference. I understand that people around Helensburgh get TV reception from Sydney better than from Wollongong from the antennas I saw whilst travelling around Helensburgh (I'm a regular traveller to the Illawarra region), despite Helensburgh being in the Southern NSW TV licence area rather than Sydney.
AFAIK, 96.5 Wave FM is Wollongong's only commercial radio station that doesn't have co-channel interference from another station in Helensburgh during "good days" of signals from the north. The nearest station from the north broadcasting on 96.5 is 2CHR Cessnock/Maitland which broadcasts at 500 W in a southerly direction from its transmitter at Bimbadeen Lookout, 390m above sea level, SW of Cessnock).
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   tm77 #28

• 34 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:50 AM

That explains why in a summer day that as I travelled up the F6 from Wollongong, i98FM is being interfered with ABC Newsradio from Gosford between Helensburgh & Waterfall. The strange thing is that I was still within i98FM's licence area when I got that interference. I understand that people around Helensburgh get TV reception from Sydney better than from Wollongong from the antennas I saw whilst travelling around Helensburgh (I'm a regular traveller to the Illawarra region), despite Helensburgh being in the Southern NSW TV licence area rather than Sydney.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is correct. It's because Helensburgh residents recieve a MUCH stronger signal from Sydney that our antennas are pointed in that direction.

AFAIK, 96.5 Wave FM is Wollongong's only commercial radio station that doesn't have co-channel interference from another station in Helensburgh during "good days" of signals from the north. The nearest station from the north broadcasting on 96.5 is 2CHR Cessnock/Maitland which broadcasts at 500 W in a southerly direction from its transmitter at Bimbadeen Lookout, 390m above sea level, SW of Cessnock).

That's also correct. This also partly explains the sporadic ratings in the area over the last 3 years particularly for I98 and to a lesser extent Power FM (see below):

.....................Apr01..Nov01...Apr02..Nov02..Apr03...Nov03...Apr04...Nov04
i98 FM...........29.1......29.7......28.4......20.6......19.9......22.8......27.6...
Wave FM......15.8.......16.0.....16.3......21.6......22.0......20.1......22.3......24
ABC Illa.........9.8........10.2......10.3......12.1......12.5......12.7......10.3..
Triple J..........5.7.........5.9........5.9........5.6........5.7........4.7........4.
PowerFM......6.1.........6.2........6.0........5.1........3.5........3.9........
Source: ACNeilsen

Edited by tm77, 18 February 2005 - 09:29 AM.

OFFLINE   dk32 #29

• 2,783 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:55 PM

The Helensburgh/Waterfall region (I would have thought) would be such a small part of the Wollongong radio survey region, that News Radio's signal would have very little impact on i98's overall performance in the survey results.

For example, i98's performance's in Nov (when ducting may have an effect on 98.1) don't appear to be any worse than April's (a month less conducive to ducting) from 02 to 04.

As far as alternative frequencies for News Radio at Gosford go, 99.5 is too close to 99.7 Rhema FM in Newcastle (10kw).

100.5 at Gosford is probably far enough away from Dungong for co-channelling to not be an issue (and Dungong has a hill immediately to the south of it which makes receiving even Newcastle FM radio signals tricky.. partly explains why they have an ABC Local Radio translator on 100.5!).

OFFLINE   hoppo #30

• 173 posts since
  • March 2004

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:38 PM

100.5 at Gosford is probably far enough away from Dungong for co-channelling to not be an issue (and Dungog has a hill immediately to the south of it which makes receiving even Newcastle FM radio signals tricky.. partly explains why they have an ABC Local Radio translator on 100.5!).

Yeah, although I can get Star as clear as bell when in the Dungog area on car radio, I'd assume Newsradio would have a much lower signal strength than Star, so I'd assume no problem...

98.1 really is a problem though in summer in Newcastle, drifting through the three stations on that frequency in close proximity (News CC, Power UH and i98); hell I was getting i98 on my car radio 100k's NORTH of Newcastle!

OFFLINE   Bergoine #31

• 1,382 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:17 PM

The weirdest thing happened last night, although nothing to do with Newcastle.
I found on the FM band the GWN signal which is on VHF 3 was interfearing with Perth radio stations, the ABC signal was doing the same. That area has 3 FM stations which were overlapping the Perth ones and it was really annoying. I could get JJJ on 5 different frequencies and ABC Classic on 4. Last night the weather was cloudy which was unusual, because this normally happens on a hot day. And the transmitter for these frequencies are well over 250kms away! So Im asking, does is this similar to what happens on NBN3 in Sydney? What is the cause of this???

OFFLINE   Moe #32

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:56 PM

The weirdest thing happened last night, although nothing to do with Newcastle.
I found on the FM band the GWN signal which is on VHF 3 was interfearing with Perth radio stations, the ABC signal was doing the same. That area has 3 FM stations which were overlapping the Perth ones and it was really annoying. I could get JJJ on 5 different frequencies and ABC Classic on 4. Last night the weather was cloudy which was unusual, because this normally happens on a hot day. And the transmitter for these frequencies are well over 250kms away! So Im asking, does is this similar to what happens on NBN3 in Sydney? What is the cause of this???

Was it a muggy day?
On a muggy day a week ago i got tv from tasmania and TNT9 (southern cross) caused some interference on GTV9, I also got pretty clear WIN reception on UHF. Although this dindnt affect the radio, i watched some 9 shows on WIN.
The funny thing is the next day which was about the same i was getting WIN, Prime and SX10 from either colac or ballarat.

As for newcastle radio, do they really need another station, and NBN moving would probably not let any new stations in on FM because there are ones there already from surrounding places. I also find it hard to believe that there is so few frequencies that there are 3 on 98.1. Newsradio doesnt need to be on fm at all and would be better if they just had a high powered AM one same for abc local radio.
Another thing is whether there is a avaliable UHF freq to move some channels on to.

OFFLINE   dk32 #33

• 2,783 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 26 February 2005 - 10:16 PM

http://home.cogeco.c.../tropo_aus.html

The above website has a good explanation on why FM/TV reception is better on some days than others and predictions on what conditions are likely to be over the next few days..

It also has maps for previous days, and it shows that 'ducting' conditions for improved reception at 6pm yesterday in the Perth region as being 'very strong'.

Given that Perth is only about 180kms north of Bunbury, near where the GWN Channel 3 and ABC 5 transmitters for South West WA are located, this is entirely possible... I'm in Newcastle and have often received FM radio stations from up to 600kms away on good days (and TV stations from up to about 300 km away)..

I'm guessing that the Triple J stations that you heard in the Perth region were on 94.1 (Bunbury), 98.1 (York), 98.9 (Geraldton) ?, 99.3 for the local Perth signal.. I don't know what the 5th one you would have received is though.. perhaps 98.7 Kalgoorlie?

Newsradio doesnt need to be on fm at all and would be better if they just had a high powered AM one same for abc local radio.
Another thing is whether there is a avaliable UHF freq to move some channels on to.

True, same goes for Radio National, which operates on the FM band in many regional areas, however, I understand that FM radio is cheaper to set up and operate as well (given that they don't need a large parcel of land on which to erect an AM transmitter).

And yes, there are a shortage of spare usable FM and TV frequencies available in the Newcastle to Wollongong area... When analogue TV is switched off, this should ease considerably however.. 2011 is the earliest we can hope for in regional areas, probably longer.

OFFLINE   Bergoine #34

• 1,382 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:18 PM

I'm guessing that the Triple J stations that you heard in the Perth region were on 94.1 (Bunbury), 98.1 (York), 98.9 (Geraldton) ?, 99.3 for the local Perth signal.. I don't know what the 5th one you would have received is though.. perhaps 98.7 Kalgoorlie?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes all of them were received, except Kalgoorlie. We have the same problem with 98.1 as Newcastle. Sometimes we get JJJ, ABC classic, and 98FM from Geraldton. They always alternate, sometimes the sound is mixed between two stations. Even when we get GWN, the reception is terrible, does this have anything to do with them being on the FM band, 91.75FM? GWN from Geraldton is excellent, 400ks away. Also ABC from Bunbury's FM band is on 107.7 and interfears with community station 107.9FM. I was listening to it and wondering why it wasnt in stereo. Then i found out i was listening to Rage! This is very annoying!!

Edited by Bergoine, 27 February 2005 - 04:23 PM.

OFFLINE   dryfry #35

• 280 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:10 AM

Thank the ABA for the silly arrangements for Perth FM.
The local Fremantle station should have stayed on 100.1 and the ABA should have just allowed the then AM broadcasters 6 NR and 6 AR to increase their power on 927 and 1170 Khz.
There are some tourist and community radio services in Perth which are within the channel 3 bandwidth.But we are outside of GWN's coverage so we must cop the interefence...

OFFLINE   dk32 #36

• 2,783 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:22 PM

Even when we get GWN, the reception is terrible, does this have anything to do with them being on the FM band, 91.75FM?

Yes, I imagine that the community radio stations, such as Twin Cities FM on 89.7 at Wanneroo, 91.3 PCR at Fremantle, 92.1 RTR in Perth are the main reasons for the poor GWN 3 reception in Perth.

Interesting that you mention that GWN 11 Geraldton has a good signal into Perth on such days.. I thought it may suffer excessive interference from Digital Channel 10 (which also uses VHF 11).

I can recall that the ABA asked GWN to vacate Channel 11 in the York/Mawson/Northam area so it could be used by TEN for digital in Perth.

There are some tourist and community radio services in Perth which are within the channel 3 bandwidth.But we are outside of GWN's coverage so we must cop the interefence...

The ABA requires broadcasters to "protect the reception of radio stations within their own licence area"... However, given that this interference seems to only occur during 'ducting' conditions, I assume the ABA's policy refers to 'normal' atmospheric conditions only.

OFFLINE   Bergoine #37

• 1,382 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:00 AM

Yes, I imagine that the community radio stations, such as Twin Cities FM on 89.7 at Wanneroo, 91.3 PCR at Fremantle, 92.1 RTR in Perth are the main reasons for the poor GWN 3 reception in Perth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Twin cities is north of Perth so the reception interfearance is minimal. Perhaps Radio Fremantle should of moved to 89.7 seeing and Twin cities on 107.9 seeing as Wanneroo is further from Bunbury than Freo is.

OFFLINE   IanG #38

• 1,339 posts since
  • October 2008

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Yeah the whole argument about radio stations going over to the FM band and TV Stations going over to UHF has been going on for about 20 years. In the mid 90s 2KO and 2NX went over to the FM band.

Also when they put up the newer NBN and ABC transmitters they were put on the UHF Band. (Merewether and Kotara)
Hence why when I tuned my Video and TV I was getting multiple signals. I got about 3 ABCs and 2 NBNs

Edited by IanG, 20 April 2009 - 06:31 PM.

"To The Memory of Ian Craig, The Legacy of Des Hoistead and the ghost of 2KY" - Tommy from Campbelltown

OFFLINE   dk32 #39

• 2,783 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (IanG @ Apr 20 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah the whole argument about radio stations going over to the FM band and TV Stations going over to UHF has been going on for about 20 years. In the mid 90s 2KO and 2NX went over to the FM band.

Also when they put up the newer NBN and ABC transmitters they were put on the UHF Band. (Merewether and Kotara)
Hence why when I tuned my Video and TV I was getting multiple signals. I got about 3 ABCs and 2 NBNs

When NBN3 is switched off, I'd like to see them move some of the Lower Hunter / Central Coast community & low power ABC stations to vacant frequencies in the 88-92 mhz to reduce some of the 'mush' that we currently get on some frequencies with more than 1 station eg. CHR Cessnock/Maitland, Lake Macquarie FM, News Radio Gosford, Rhema Gosford, 2CCC Gosford.

OFFLINE   dk32 #40

• 2,783 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

Further to my post above, this is what I'd do with the Newcastle region FM radio Spectrum post NBN3 analogue switch off....

New Services (as approved by the ACMA)

91.9 JJJ Port Stephens
92.7 ABC Classic FM Port Stephens

Suggested New Services (as suggested by moi biggrin.gif )

93.5 NEW FM Port Stephens
94.3 NX FM Port Stephens
96.7 KO FM Port Stephens

Reassigned services

88.1 CHR Cessnock/Maitland (now 96.5)
88.9 Lake Macquarie FM (now 97.3)
89.5 2CCC Gosford (now 96.3)
90.7 Radio Rhema Gosford (now 94.9)
91.7 News Radio Gosford (now 98.1)

And whilst I'm at it, I'd give the following Upper Hunter services new frequencies

88.5 ABC Upper Hunter (now 105.7)
89.3 News Radio Upper Hunter (now 104.9)
91.1 Power FM (now 98.1)

(note. SBS Radio for Upper Hunter has been approved for 90.1)

This is all purely associated with eliminating co-channel interference on these frequencies here in Newcastle.
With the exception of 'tropo' conditions (and also the News Radio Gosford situation), it will not make any real difference to reception of these stations within their home markets.. cheerful.gif