Digital Radio

• Please log in to reply
1516 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   TJ. #1

• Site Administrator

• 10,720 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

Today marks the first anniversary of the digital radio launch at full capacity into the five metropolitan markets of Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

http://www.mediaspy....-digital-radio/

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #2

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

The ABC will celebrate the life and work of Jimi Hendrix later this month, launching a digital radio station to mark the 40th anniversary of his death.

http://www.mediaspy....-7th-september/

OFFLINE   crankymedia #3

• 589 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

There must be more discussion about digital radio than this. Why split the threads? Was working fine as it was.

OFFLINE   jimmy63 #4

• 80 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

3MBS and 3CR are broadcasting on digital as Test1 and Test2.

OFFLINE   mal #5

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

Oh wow, are they the first community stations to be broadcasting on the DAB+ platform?

OFFLINE   7HD #6

• 996 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

Oh wow, are they the first community stations to be broadcasting on the DAB+ platform?

I can't wait for SYN and 3RRR being on DAB+, but overall I'm becoming even more satisfied with the offerings on DAB+.
Almost been a year since I converted from FM to DAB+ and never been back since.

OFFLINE   mal #7

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

SYN afaik hasn't got alot of cash so going digital at this stage I would think is too much of a stretch. I would love them to go digital though.

OFFLINE   newtaste #8

• News Contributor

• 5,074 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Hope 103.2 in Sydney has been testing Inspire Digital as Test 2 for the past week or so.

OFFLINE   billybob_chider #9

• 1,414 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:07 PM

Yes, I'm afraid Sydney beat Melbourne to the punch on this occasion. But, you still have better radio stations than us, so it doesn't really matter :P. 3RRR going nationwide on digital would be a start.

OFFLINE   talmikiff #10

• 9 posts since
  • August 2010

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

Has anyone got any info on these two that are now showing on my radio in Brisbane.

OFFLINE   talmikiff #11

• 9 posts since
  • August 2010

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

Has anyone got any info on these two that are now showing on my radio in Brisbane.

I do apologise for putting in the wrong area my first post don't you know.

OFFLINE   Sub #12

• 1,374 posts since
  • June 2008

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

Hope 103.2 in Sydney has been testing Inspire Digital as Test 2 for the past week or so.

Here's the site for more info:
http://www.inspiredigitalradio.com

OFFLINE   jimmy63 #13

• 80 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

....but Melbourne's stations are real community stations that have been around for many years, not made up religious propaganda crap:-)

OFFLINE   newtaste #14

• News Contributor

• 5,074 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

....but Melbourne's stations are real community stations that have been around for many years, not made up religious propaganda crap:-)

Hope 103.2 started on 5 March 1979. Been around for 31 years.

OFFLINE   jimmy63 #15

• 80 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

It's still right wing religious propaganda crap! And Hope 103.2 is NOT being simulcast in Sydney, something called Inspire is. All it would inspire me to do is reject these religious zealots even more:-)The airwaves should not be polluted with this rubbish! Where's the wiccan or devil worship station? :-)

OFFLINE   newtaste #16

• News Contributor

• 5,074 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

It's still right wing religious propaganda crap! And Hope 103.2 is NOT being simulcast in Sydney, something called Inspire is. All it would inspire me to do is reject these religious zealots even more:-)The airwaves should not be polluted with this rubbish! Where's the wiccan or devil worship station? :-)

I'm guessing you have never heard Hope 103.2, as 75% of the music played is non-religious mainstream music. And I know Inspire is on digital and not Hope - I posted that here.

If you want to start a devil worship radio station go right ahead, what's stopping you?

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #17

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

Devil worship? WTF?

If you aren't interested in Hope 103.2 do what I do-don't listen.Works out well IMO.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong

OFFLINE   billybob_chider #18

• 1,414 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

Hope 103.2 seem to play a lot of Howard Jones for some unknown reason, and not just "What Is Love" either. I've heard "Like To Get To Know You Well" and "No One Is To Blame" in recent times whilst flicking past.

OFFLINE   jimmy63 #19

• 80 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Devil worship? WTF?

If you aren't interested in Hope 103.2 do what I do-don't listen.Works out well IMO.

Well I guess that tells me:-) Don't get so serious guys:-) The devil worship was a JOKE. I've no intention of listening to Hope FM or in my case, Light FM as I live in Melbourne. Just don't like religious radio stations and don't see any need for them. Don't need smug, holier than thou announcers telling me how they found Jesus! THEY are my enemy:-)
Anyway this all started only because I posted that 2 community stations were testing in Melbourne. Someone decided to make a "thing" of it by reminding us that Inspire has been testing in Sydney for a few weeks. Personally I don't care to much! Community radio doesn't turn me on much:-) BUT there are some people who are vitally interested in it, so therefore I was giving them the info.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #20

• 8,277 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

A story from yesterday's The Australian is saying that regional radio operators have welcomed the confirmation of spectrum being released for the introduction of digital radio in rural regions. The article also mentions that a number of regional radio operators, particularly in 'quasi-metropolitan' radio markets such as Gold Coast & Wollongong, already have digital facilities but has no timeframe for their use.
See full article here: http://www.theaustra...6-1225942950821

I'm guessing that Digital Radio will benefit regional listeners a bit more than metropolitan listeners, considering the low number of 'analog' radio stations available. Looking at Canberra for instance (the first regional market to switch on DAB+, albeit as a trial), Digital Radio has seen the addition of 'unique' music stations such as MyCanberra Digital, Radar Radio & SBS Chill, which can be considered to be quite a step-up.

I'm proposing that these following major regions in NSW would have these following digital stations:

Central Coast - Koffee (DMG)
Newcastle - Radar Radio (Austereo), Gorilla (BOG), Zoo Super Digi (BOG)
Wollongong - MyIllawarra Digital (based on MyPerth & MyCanberra Digital - Grant Broadcasters), and/or Hot Country (Grant Broadcasters)

Don't know what WIN would do if/when they launch their digital-only stations to supplement i98. Maybe a 80s/90s-based retro format? :scratchchin:
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!