Digital Radio

• Please log in to reply
1502 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   crankymedia #21

• 589 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

A story from yesterday's The Australian is saying that regional radio operators have welcomed the confirmation of spectrum being released for the introduction of digital radio in rural regions. The article also mentions that a number of regional radio operators, particularly in 'quasi-metropolitan' radio markets such as Gold Coast & Wollongong, already have digital facilities but has no timeframe for their use.

What it means is that some stations have digital desks, the whole transmission path, even a digital STL but then into an analogue transmitter for AM/FM.

I'm proposing that these following major regions in NSW would have these following digital stations:

Central Coast - Koffee (DMG)
Newcastle - Radar Radio (Austereo), Gorilla (BOG), Zoo Super Digi (BOG)
Wollongong - MyIllawarra Digital (based on MyPerth & MyCanberra Digital - Grant Broadcasters), and/or Hot Country (Grant Broadcasters)

I question why these stations would waste money on programming to fragment markets that endure so much overlap as it is. Would be simple to get cheap deals from cap city operators with existing digital stations.

OFFLINE   hatdj #22

• 844 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

It Will be interesting to See How well it works out here cuz i reccon it will stuggle to give the coverage of the FM signal unless the Transmitter is 1 Megawatt in power or better :scratchchin:

OFFLINE   Mark #23

• 16,087 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

and what plans do you have for it hat? Just the replicate of 2SM's digitals?

OFFLINE   hatdj #24

• 844 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

and what plans do you have for it hat? Just the replicate of 2SM's digitals?

I'd say we would be Low on the list concidering that the band is full of VHF TV stations in this part of the wold & there the other issue with both Moree & Gunnedah licence area's being broadcast from the same point so what happens with the signal pattern & who has acess to it is anyones guess :embarrassed:

OFFLINE   Mark #25

• 16,087 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

I'd say we would be Low on the list concidering that the band is full of VHF TV stations in this part of the wold & there the other issue with both Moree & Gunnedah licence area's being broadcast from the same point so what happens with the signal pattern & who has acess to it is anyones guess :embarrassed:

typical... bush misses out again.

I'm hoping Zoo Super Digi comes here to Newcastle, love it. Listening to it now.

OFFLINE   hatdj #26

• 844 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

typical... bush misses out again.

I'm hoping Zoo Super Digi comes here to Newcastle, love it. Listening to it now.

I think There's Still speculation that some regional area's might have DRM+ Plus For Digital "It's being trialed in the NT"

OFFLINE   Mark #27

• 16,087 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

Louise, care to comment? ;)

OFFLINE   hatdj #28

• 844 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

Louise, care to comment? ;)

Err No, DRM+ AM & HF Tests out of The Alice & Tennant Creek

OFFLINE   mal #29

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

A story from yesterday's The Australian is saying that regional radio operators have welcomed the confirmation of spectrum being released for the introduction of digital radio in rural regions. The article also mentions that a number of regional radio operators, particularly in 'quasi-metropolitan' radio markets such as Gold Coast & Wollongong, already have digital facilities but has no timeframe for their use.
See full article here: http://www.theaustra...6-1225942950821

I'm guessing that Digital Radio will benefit regional listeners a bit more than metropolitan listeners, considering the low number of 'analog' radio stations available. Looking at Canberra for instance (the first regional market to switch on DAB+, albeit as a trial), Digital Radio has seen the addition of 'unique' music stations such as MyCanberra Digital, Radar Radio & SBS Chill, which can be considered to be quite a step-up.

I'm proposing that these following major regions in NSW would have these following digital stations:

Central Coast - Koffee (DMG)
Newcastle - Radar Radio (Austereo), Gorilla (BOG), Zoo Super Digi (BOG)
Wollongong - MyIllawarra Digital (based on MyPerth & MyCanberra Digital - Grant Broadcasters), and/or Hot Country (Grant Broadcasters)

Don't know what WIN would do if/when they launch their digital-only stations to supplement i98. Maybe a 80s/90s-based retro format? :scratchchin:

I would think that it would be a good move to pump out a Nova into the central coast to go up agenst sea fm (even if it's automation (like what ARN do with the edge)

That or novanation.

OFFLINE   crankymedia #30

• 589 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:22 AM

I think There's Still speculation that some regional area's might have DRM+ Plus For Digital "It's being trialed in the NT"

Yes, the new HF TXs are DRM enabled: http://www.contelec....RM_Brochure.pdf

But, the ABC has to make a policy decision to enable this, as of a few mths ago, BA advise this has not happened.

The Darwin digital radio trial is using the same technology as in the 5 main capitals.

OFFLINE   Mark #31

• 16,087 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:10 AM

Err No, DRM+ AM & HF Tests out of The Alice & Tennant Creek

ahhh, so Louise has the same tech as the caps - thanks mate, learn something new every day :))

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #32

• 8,257 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

I would think that it would be a good move to pump out a Nova into the central coast to go up agenst sea fm (even if it's automation (like what ARN do with the edge)

That or novanation.

That would seem more likely than having Koffee, even though I think Koffee's format would be more appropriate for the Central Coast, as not any of the local commercial FM stations have a real adult music format (2GO is more of a rock station than a adult music station these days, in order to compete with Star).
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   mal #33

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:49 AM

Well I went out and got a digital radio (one that I could connect to my roof antenna, plugged it in switched it on and YAY I get Perth DAB+

Nothing really exciting about this except I'm in Bunbury a good 180km from Perth. What is even more strange is that I can't pick up the analog FMs but digital is fine.

We do have a big antenna on the roof to pick up Perth tv so I thought I would give digital radio a go, I'm very surprised and happy it's working!!

Currently listening to rockfest on mainstage! Love it!

Edited by mal, 09 November 2010 - 12:52 AM.

OFFLINE   mechsta #34

• 334 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:56 AM

Well I went out and got a digital radio (one that I could connect to my roof antenna, plugged it in switched it on and YAY I get Perth DAB+

Nothing really exciting about this except I'm in Bunbury a good 180km from Perth. What is even more strange is that I can't pick up the analog FMs but digital is fine.

We do have a big antenna on the roof to pick up Perth tv so I thought I would give digital radio a go, I'm very surprised and happy it's working!!

Wow, you've done well considering that DAB+ transmits on vertical polarisation. I've had DAB+ in Charlestown, Warners Bay, Hampton (Jenolan Caves Plain), Mt Gibraltar and Gerringong. All well outside the Sydney licence areas and well outside ACMA's predicted coverage area.

OFFLINE   crankymedia #35

• 589 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

That's because DAB+ is between 202-206MHz, between ch 9 and 10.

So your aerial is optimised for it.

FM is down at 88-108 and ch2 from Perth is lower than that.

Swivel your Bunbury 3/5 antenna to Perth & you may get FM between them.

Give jamie.chaux@austereo.com.au an e-mail and tell him how much you enjoy Mainstage, he'd love it.

OFFLINE   mal #36

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

-

Edited by mal, 09 November 2010 - 07:52 PM.

OFFLINE   mal #37

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Well loved rockfest on it lol, that's all I really heard.

:)

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #38

• News Contributor

• 10,029 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:18 AM

Great reception! Re no FM: if you have a masthead amplifier, they often have an "FM trap" to stop reception of FM stations as a strong local signal may interfere with TV reception.

OFFLINE   mal #39

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

Ah fair enough!

OFFLINE   Squee! #40

• Forum Moderator

• 10,927 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

ABC DAB Stations were off air in Perth for at least half an hour this afternoon... was a bit annoying :\