Olympic broadcasting

London Olympic News Sports Sports News Olympic Games 2012 London Olyimpic Games 2012

• Please log in to reply
1232 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Captain Cupcake #41

• 260 posts since
  • August 2010

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

I reckon Nine will use 2 channels for Olympic coverage (Nine and GEM), with GO! being used to carry regular Nine programming.

OFFLINE   Aurora #42

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 5,999 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

with GO! being used to carry regular Nine programming.

What's the sense in doing that? Just have a two-week break. It's not like Nine have a tight schedule.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   jimbo #43

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:27 AM

Nine should still use 1 of the multi channels to keep regular programming going, though. It would be good if stuff like The Footy Show's & 60 Minutes kept airing.

ONLINE   TV Cynic #44

• News Contributor

• 11,213 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

Now that we have had a taste of HD sport on GEM what are the choices for the Olympic coverage. These are the possibilities that I can think of:

Olympics on -
  • Nine only – either no change to GEM programming or some modification to include some Nine normal programs e.g C classification
  • Nine + HD simulcast on GEM (90% of the time or more, except for a few small deviations like not taking news)
  • Nine + HD GEM with separate program
  • Nine + HD simulcast on GEM + GO with another event
  • Nine + GEM + GO all separate events.

OFFLINE   Aurora #45

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 5,999 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:35 AM

They'll probably end up keeping The Footy Show and the NRL in their normal timeslots but pre-empting most of their other prime-time stuff for the fortnight. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Foxtel solely does the multi-channelling, like what they did during the Winter Games.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #46

• 4,146 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:44 AM

I still can't believe they are staying with that hideous 2012 logo.

OFFLINE   Matlock #47

• News Contributor

• 6,169 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

Now that we have had a taste of HD sport on GEM what are the choices for the Olympic coverage. These are the possibilities that I can think of:

Olympics on -

• Nine only – either no change to GEM programming or some modification to include some Nine normal programs e.g C classification
  • Nine + HD simulcast on GEM (90% of the time or more, except for a few small deviations like not taking news)
  • Nine + HD GEM with separate program
  • Nine + HD simulcast on GEM + GO with another event
  • Nine + GEM + GO all separate events.

I'm hoping either option 4 or 5. Nine might unveil their plans at their 2012 launch in November.

I still can't believe they are staying with that hideous 2012 logo.

Who? Nine or the London Olympics?

OFFLINE   Jarrod #48

• 6,868 posts since
  • August 2006

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

I think we will be seeing a lot of Karl Stefanovic during the games. Im picking him as main studio anchor.

OFFLINE   Matlock #49

• News Contributor

• 6,169 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

I think we will be seeing a lot of Karl Stefanovic during the games. Im picking him as main studio anchor.

He's better than Eddie at least.

ONLINE   TV Cynic #50

• News Contributor

• 11,213 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

I'm hoping either option 4 or 5. Nine might unveil their plans at their 2012 launch in November.

I'm expecting 1 or 2.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #51

• 4,146 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

Who? Nine or the London Olympics?

http://www.attituded...-is-a-disgrace/

ONLINE   TV Cynic #52

• News Contributor

• 11,213 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

Last Olympic coverage on 7 was widely criticised and viewers were "a little bemused by Yum Cha, still tittering at the strange asides heard during the Opening Ceremony and furious at delayed coverage of numerous events. " as reported.

One area of discontent arose when they pre-empted the coverage to show an AFL match. I wonder if the same thing will happen on Friday nights in particular for 9. I would think they would be contracted to show the NRLs two games.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #53

• 4,146 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:56 AM

Also in Beijing Seven Perth didn't even show the breakfast program.. not even on the multi-channels from memory.

OFFLINE   stmookeyj #54

• 1,630 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:57 AM

They'll look for some sort of exemption either way to show either on a multi-channel I'm sure, just not sure which one. Mind you the NRL games are on in the morning, when there's not much apart from swimming/track and field heats and the odd equestrian or rowing event. More things are on in the afternoon and evening which would be around midnight and beyond.

OFFLINE   daneswan36 #55

• 390 posts since
  • April 2011

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

Also in Beijing Seven Perth didn't even show the breakfast program.. not even on the multi-channels from memory.

Thank Goodness for Perth we didn't get this piece of crap...

OFFLINE   Travis #56

• 3,889 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Are you sure? I remember seeing it in Perth. And Multichannels weren't around back then.

ONLINE   TV Cynic #57

• News Contributor

• 11,213 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

They'll look for some sort of exemption either way to show either on a multi-channel I'm sure, just not sure which one. Mind you the NRL games are on in the morning, when there's not much apart from swimming/track and field heats and the odd equestrian or rowing event. More things are on in the afternoon and evening which would be around midnight and beyond.

There isn't much live that will be shown in primetime - it going to be pretty much highlights of what happened the night and morning before. You would think that most finals will be around 5 - 7 am. Might get a couple of live hockey games,heats, start of the marathon.

OFFLINE   daneswan36 #58

• 390 posts since
  • April 2011

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

What to expect from Channel 9's Olympic Games Coverage:
1. Standard Definition broadcast of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and most events
2. Marathon not be shown in full- just the start and finish
3. Coles ad to come on every 10 mins during the broadcast
4. 400 hours of Coverage on Channel 9 - mostly Eddie blabbering and highlights.
5. Someone please create a "Channel 9 London 2012 drinking game" on Facebook to have a laugh with this horrendous Olympic Coverage the rest of Australia is going to expect :D

OFFLINE   jimbo #59

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

What to expect from Channel 9's Olympic Games Coverage:
1. Standard Definition broadcast of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and most events
2. Marathon not be shown in full- just the start and finish
3. Coles ad to come on every 10 mins during the broadcast
4. 400 hours of Coverage on Channel 9 - mostly Eddie blabbering and highlights.
5. Someone please create a "Channel 9 London 2012 drinking game" on Facebook to have a laugh with this horrendous Olympic Coverage the rest of Australia is going to expect :D

And the funny thing is, even if all those things DID happen, 9's coverage would probably STILL be better than 7's attempt at Beijing.

ONLINE   TV Cynic #60

• News Contributor

• 11,213 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:32 AM

And the funny thing is, even if all those things DID happen, 9's coverage would probably STILL be better than 7's attempt at Beijing.

Lest we forget Yum Cha.