Olympic broadcasting

London Olympic News Sports Sports News Olympic Games 2012 London Olyimpic Games 2012

• Please log in to reply
1199 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   jimbo #841

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

9 don't have the rights to 2016 do they? Please tell me they don't?!

Nah 7 have them. Theyll do sooo much better!

(sarcasm, rights are still to be awarded)

OFFLINE   NewsKing #842

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,664 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Nah 7 have them. Theyll do sooo much better!

(sarcasm, rights are still to be awarded)

If it wasnt a matter of great importance then it would be funny.

OFFLINE   cmo #843

• 5,865 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

Seven were just as bad, if not worse than NIne. Its very hard for any network when they can't multi-channel. Hopefully the next rights holder can run the games on all three of their channels. I can't see why that would limit their revenue and it would win a lot of viewers.

OFFLINE   jimbo #844

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

If it wasnt a matter of great importance then it would be funny.

Yes really is of great importance. I mean, being denied the ability to watch a medal ceremony really is an issue of life and death :o

OFFLINE   Squee! #845

• Forum Moderator

• 10,927 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Considering they will run at a net loss, I wouldn't be surprised if Nine don't worry about the next lot of rights - however with the anti siphoning stupidity out of the way by then (hopefully) been able to carry more then one feed at a time might result in a windfall for whichever network wins the rights.

For the record - IMO, Nines coverage is no worse (yet no better, but a lot of their pitfalls are simply limitations due to anti-siphoning regulations and/or coverage dictated by advertisers) then Sevens. Having no supplementary coverage on SBS though is a bit of a pain in the arse though.

OFFLINE   Matlock #846

• News Contributor

• 5,961 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Here's a funny pic I found on the internet...
Posted Image

OFFLINE   NewsKing #847

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,664 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Yes really is of great importance. I mean, being denied the ability to watch a medal ceremony really is an issue of life and death :o

I've missed more than a bloody medal ceremony. I'm telling you that.

OFFLINE   the spy #848

• 122 posts since
  • October 2008

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

Just give it to the ABC ;)

OFFLINE   The Sifon #849

• 5,537 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

Just give it to the ABC ;)

No thanks. Despite Nine's crappy coverage, the ABC would be a whole new level of crap. Just look at the rubbish delayed SD coverage they will serve up for the Paralympics.

Edited by The Sifon, 08 August 2012 - 07:08 PM.

OFFLINE   NewsKing #850

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,664 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Seven were just as bad, if not worse than NIne. Its very hard for any network when they can't multi-channel. Hopefully the next rights holder can run the games on all three of their channels. I can't see why that would limit their revenue and it would win a lot of viewers.

You seriously believe that?

Yes Beijing wasn't top notch. But they showed they are very capable. Especially with Sydney 2000. That is one of the greatest television events I have ever witnessed.

OFFLINE   cmo #851

• 5,865 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

Athens and Beijing were shit. Terrible coverage from,a terrible network. They were as woeful as nine.

Sydney was goodish but they did miss the start of the 200m freestyle for women. They came back from an ad 10 sec into the event. They also aired many events on delay.

OFFLINE   greysfan #852

• 2,016 posts since
  • July 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

Ok take Foxtel out of the equation for a moment with what i am about to say. Regarding FTA coverage of the Olympics Sydney was brilliantly done by Seven and with what they did in Beijing it was acceptable. Athens was appalling. However comparing Nine to Seven, Seven was and imo still is the better broadcaster of the Olympics out of the 2. There is no "feel" when you watch Nine's coverage, at least Seven gave you the feel of the Olympics. Thats what does it for me. The set alone is a ripoff of the Today set if you ask me. Plus comparing it to all the other sets around the world it isn't up to standard at all. The whole Channel Nine team is just flat as a tack. The presenters are lame and the commentators Nine have personally picked and i say personally, not the joint commentary team with Foxtel, are horrible. The Giann Rooney interviews were not great at all and whats worse is they have cricketers commentating the diving for gods sake.

Regarding whats being shown, Seven and Nine are on par with that. I won't debate that but Nine fails again because even though it was a joint effort Seven gave SBS coverage too, something Nine could have done to offset some costs involved surely. (although not sure on all the rules)

Personally i hope Seven get them back for the next games because those stupid rules will be out of the way and i feel we may see 4 channels possibly up to even 8 by 2016 when it comes around to Rio. That is a long time between now and then and laws can change rapidly especially since it will be 3 years since analogue will have been turned off.

I also believe that Foxtel should now be involved in all Olympics from here on in. Their coverage has been next to none although i still believe they could do even better. Their are LIVE events on not being shown and instead we are getting repeat football, hockey and boxing matches which could easily be saved for the daytime. There has been instances where there is up to 15 live sports on, which obviously means they can't show everything and i get that but at the time FOXTEL is showing replays on half the channels. I am not fussy all i am saying is there is even further room for improvement. I guess we will find out soon enough i suppose.

Thats my 2c worth anyway.

OFFLINE   newtaste #853

• News Contributor

• 5,045 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

If the Australians aren't really trying to do their best in this yachting race, why is this any different to the Chinese not trying in the shuttlecock? Surely the Australians should be trying to win.

OFFLINE   Matlock #854

• News Contributor

• 5,961 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

If the Australians aren't really trying to do their best in this yachting race, why is this any different to the Chinese not trying in the shuttlecock? Surely the Australians should be trying to win.

Not sure about yachting, but shuttlecock-gate was surrounding the Chinese and a few other countries giving each other an advantage through the round-robin system.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #855

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 10,807 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

The Aussies have already got an unbeatable lead, all they had to do was to compete in the final race and they would win gold. They finished the race in fifth place.

OFFLINE   newtaste #856

• News Contributor

• 5,045 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

The BBC graphics, on Nine.

Posted Image

ONLINE   TV Cynic #857

• News Contributor

• 10,029 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

The BBC graphics, on Nine.

Of course this was not live but a recording.

The BBC commentator says "and all Australians will be watching now.." as the Australian pair came into shore - except only on Foxtel as 9 inexplicably cuts away from thge yachting before this and shows adverts and promotions for upcoming events then discusses basketball. Minutes later the BBC interviews the Aussies and again 9 still does not cross to the yachting and shows equestrian and Big Brother adverts.

Apparently Karl, in his capacity as expert on all things sport, was upset with the pole vaulters this evening and called the proceedings farcical.

OFFLINE   Tom W #858

• 1,006 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

There is no "feel" when you watch Nine's coverage, at least Seven gave you the feel of the Olympics. Thats what does it for me.

Despite my inherent bias, I completely agree. I wonder how much my lesser-excitement about these games is caused by the broadcaster, broadcasting, location, life-situation or other factors. But the Olympics in the past on Seven have always been memorable moments of my life.

Also, I said it last time about Seven and I'll say it again now - how the hell are we supposed to know if the event being broadcast is being broadcast live or not!? There is no bug! WHY!?

I was at my friends who had Foxtel tonight and he showed me how perfectly presented it was if an event was being shown live - by the title of the broadcast and a bug at the top right!

Ridiculous!

Edited by Tom W, 09 August 2012 - 06:06 AM.

OFFLINE   icat #859

• 7,129 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

I miss SBS doing some of the Olympic events.
Nine reasons to watch Titus Pollo on Rome.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   newtaste #860

• News Contributor

• 5,045 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

The IOC to wait until after the NRL rights are decided before starting negotiations with Australian networks for the 2014 and 2016 rights.

http://m.theaustrali...3-1226446271250