Can of Worms

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
320 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   go_russ_go #21

• 1,019 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

J To me it seems a show that would be right at home on the ABC, or perhaps daytime or even late evening. Its a good cross between Q & A and Talkin' 'bout Your Generation.

Except it's going to primetime on the "youth network".
Thanks for your "guarded" comments, Aslan. Given you think it's more ABC then 10, do you think it can survive?

OFFLINE   Aslan #22

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

It has potential and I would like for it to survive, whether Australians agree with me or not is a different story. It certainly got everyone in the audience talking, especially with regards to the topics in question. I think prior to it's screening, if they screen the pilot that is, they should get one of the guests that was on to do a spot on the 7pm Project to get some talk about the show. This guest literally was almost in tears and you could here a pin drop in the room it was that deep.
Do that sexy thing you do with your tongue. Yeah. Talk intelligently and at length. Reow

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #23

• 20,012 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

You tried Aslan, you really did, but it's obvious the format is not a hit.

OFFLINE   CJM #24

• 2,793 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

You tried Aslan, you really did, but it's obvious the format is not a hit.

How is it obvious?

OFFLINE   Aslan #25

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

Its also very reminicent of the 7pm Project.

Reuder, perhaps its not for the average mediocre Australian who prefers dumbed down television. These are people talking about issues which could come up, and very much have an affect on our everyday lives. People can relate to them. I think it incredibly naive to write something off before it even goes to air, or you know more about it then what has been sent out in press releases.

I think channel tens promos have been really good for it thus far.

Edited by Aslan, 17 June 2011 - 03:51 PM.

Do that sexy thing you do with your tongue. Yeah. Talk intelligently and at length. Reow

OFFLINE   fox1 #26

• 4,673 posts since
  • April 2003

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

OK - it has even aired and I will put my neck on the line and say this is doomed.
*Dicko. Unlikeable. No idea what his "Q score" is but it would be up/down there with K Stevanovich and Kochie (and even 9's programmer wouldn't be stupid enough to let them host primetime - please don't bring up IQ tests etc). Dicko is in the same league as Ben Elton. Loud-mouth Pom who won't wash with Aussie audiences. Especially 10's youth demo. No warmth = no viewers. *Panel show. How many panel shows can we have? This seems to be a specialty of Denton's company. Find a host and build a panel show around them. Subject matter to be determined closer to broadcast date. Not exciting or original. Is this 7.00 Report with an audience? Does 7.30 have an audience anyway? So it's 7.00 with a different host. Only way it may succeed is if it's controversial and gets some press. Q & A on the ABC has the genre sewn up - albeit with a political spin. So ... DOA after 3 weeks. 10 might let it lurch on for a few weeks after that. Anyone else brave enough to join me out on this limb. I went there with Live from Planet Earth and Between The Lines. I'm going there with 9's Jamie Durie show too.

Dicko is plenty likeable. Aussies love a straight-shooter, and he's smart. He's not a cold personality.
"channel 10. first in news and current affairs!"

OFFLINE   Aslan #27

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Dicko is plenty likeable. Aussies love a straight-shooter, and he's smart. He's not a cold personality.

I agree he is very likable indeed. I found him to bring a sense of balance to the show in terms of seriousness and lightheartedness.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #28

• News Contributor

• 4,493 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:23 AM

Its also very reminicent of the 7pm Project.

Reuder, perhaps its not for the average mediocre Australian who prefers dumbed down television. These are people talking about issues which could come up, and very much have an affect on our everyday lives. People can relate to them. I think it incredibly naive to write something off before it even goes to air, or you know more about it then what has been sent out in press releases.

If it's anything like '7PM' then it's not exactly groundbreaking TV that challenges the national condition. I'm interested to see how this plays out and whether the series does more to build it's own 'controversy' than actually be a series looking to do as you say - focus on people speaking about the issues.

OFFLINE   J Bar #29

• 14,506 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

I really can't see this working on Ten. After initial curiosity, I expect to see ratings of Georeg Negus or Hungry Beast proportions.

Edited by J Bar, 20 June 2011 - 12:10 PM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   go_russ_go #30

• 1,019 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

The only one I've seen was about whether someone should dress at Adolph Hitler at a fancy dress party? Wasn't this a storm in a teacup when Prince Harry did it a decade ago? Hardly groundbreaking stuff. And not a reason for me to switch on.
And I still don't like Dicko.

OFFLINE   jimbo #31

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

This sounds good, looking forward to it. Dicko's an entertaining guy and the sort of questions they've put out there are interesting and deep.

OFFLINE   newtaste #32

• News Contributor

• 5,084 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Should a married celebrity contestant on DWTS publically admit he was turned on by his dancing partner and wished he had had an affair?

Dicko could answer this, because he said this!

OFFLINE   MillerT1 #33

• 1,320 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

New MediaWeek Podcast with Dicko about Can of Worms.

He says the show is about a week and a half away.

OFFLINE   Aslan #34

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

New MediaWeek Podcast with Dicko about Can of Worms.

He says the show is about a week and a half away.

That's interesting. I wonder how they are gonna fit filming it all in. I mean, filming starts early July. Unless they air the pilot the the first week of July then film 1 week back.

OFFLINE   MillerT1 #35

• 1,320 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

That's interesting. I wonder how they are gonna fit filming it all in. I mean, filming starts early July. Unless they air the pilot the the first week of July then film 1 week back.

I think he said in the podcast that the show will be filmed "As Live" the night before it goes to air.

OFFLINE   quiksilverJB #36

• 199 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:15 AM

Listening to Dicko on the mediaweek podcast, i'm almost certain it's going to 8:30pm Wednesdays. They are using Offspring to keep the timeslot warm for two weeks. I'm looking forward to it. Dicko was very charismatic and passionate when speaking about his project.

OFFLINE   Samuel123 #37

• 1,583 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

The first taping is Sunday July 3rd, and it will air in that week. The timeslot is still embargoed, but I can tell you it's definately not 8:30pm Wednesday.

OFFLINE   ryno #38

• 473 posts since
  • December 2009

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

The first taping is Sunday July 3rd, and it will air in that week. The timeslot is still embargoed, but I can tell you it's definately not 8:30pm Wednesday.

im predicting monday 9:30 since house finishes this week
life throws you curve balls its how u deal with it that matters

OFFLINE   Aslan #39

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

im predicting monday 9:30 since house finishes this week

As far as I'm aware it's an 8:30 slot as that's what Dicko was saying while recording the promo. The first week will also have a special 9pm Friday screening with twitter comments on screen

OFFLINE   tiger_tim #40

• 643 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

Well, he said it would be airing the night after they tape, so it would have to be airing Mondays