Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
223 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   On Air #181

• the bost mod here

• 5,948 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

From Michael Pell, Sunrise's EP: "Bringing @natalie_barr and crew back from Japan. The situation is now just too dangerous and unpredictable."

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #182

• 934 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

Ten reporting 164 Australians unaccounted for. Nine reporting "almost 700"...

Edit: Nine just gave revised figures, clarifying that Foreign Affairs are reporting 149 Australians unaccounted for in the disaster zone, with 703 uncontactable throughout Japan...

Edited by Dr. Keats, 15 March 2011 - 04:10 PM.

OFFLINE   cmo #183

• 5,946 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

Matt Doran from Ten News having problems getting out of Sendai. Many media crews trying to get out.
He did a Live cross via Skype and said that he is having difficulties getting fuel.
It's a real fluid situation at the moment.

OFFLINE   fox1 #184

• 4,674 posts since
  • April 2003

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

From Michael Pell, Sunrise's EP: "Bringing @natalie_barr and crew back from Japan. The situation is now just too dangerous and unpredictable."

not trying to be funny but I wonder what her counterpart Ann Curry is doing?
"channel 10. first in news and current affairs!"

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #185

• 20,013 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

I think Andrew Bolt should volunteer himself to head over and prove just how safe this nuclear disaster really is.

OFFLINE   SA TV #186

• 8,295 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

I think the media are victims of the fear they've created... Officials say the plant isn't going into meltdown and it's under control, so bringing all the reporters home is an overreaction I think...
(yes, I'll eat my words if it all hits the fan)

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #187

• 934 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

I wouldn't be placing too much faith in the honesty of the officials. They know what sort of effect news of a major nuclear catastrophe will cause; so they're hardly likely to come out and say "Yeah, basically, we're all gunna die". They'll avoid any sort of mass panic-inducing announcement until the last possible second.

When Chernobyl happened, the Russians spent ages denying it was anywhere near as bad as it turned out to be. I seem to recall the Yanks playing down the threat with Three Mile Island, too. And if anything happened at Lucas Heights, you can bet Jooolia'd be on the teev saying "Nah, s'alright, ay!" even while people in the surrounding suburbs began to glow in the dark...

OFFLINE   fox1 #188

• 4,674 posts since
  • April 2003

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

I think the media are victims of the fear they've created... Officials say the plant isn't going into meltdown and it's under control, so bringing all the reporters home is an overreaction I think... (yes, I'll eat my words if it all hits the fan)

Japanese officials are not known for their transparency.

OFFLINE   Homer #189

• 325 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

I hope she's wearing a lead suit for the flight home. Tokyo's radiation levels briefly rose today to .89 microseiverts per hour, up from around .2 or .3 microseiverts per hour. Natalie Barr will be exposed to 5 microseiverts per hour as soon as her plane reaches its cruising altitude of 10,000 metres...far worse than staying on the ground.

OFFLINE   ADstv #190

• 1,549 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:43 AM

The Japanese officials class the danger of the Fukushima Accident at 4 on the International Nuclear Event Scale while the French experts say it should be classified as a 6. Fox News has reported it classed as a 6 (Chernobyl was rated the highest level 7). Going by whats been reported today... I think it should be a 6 (it's a serious accident). If I was around there I be getting as far away from the plant as possible. Got me stumped how they say people living near the exclusion zone should stay indoors.

Edited by ADstv, 16 March 2011 - 02:53 AM.

[ads]tv 5 YEARS ... 2007-2012

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #191

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 10,923 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

Channel Seven reporter Nick McCallum told 3AW's Neil Mitchell this morning that the rest of Seven's team will be assessing the situation later today and consider whether it should pull out as well. (Nick also works for 3AW so he may stay in Tokyo for the time being)

OFFLINE   fox1 #192

• 4,674 posts since
  • April 2003

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

Some newsreaders are a little dyslexic. Japanese is the easiest language to pronounce on earth by far. Hi-ro-shi-ma
na-ga-sa-ki fu-ji-ya-ma mi-tsu-bi-shi ni-n-te-n-do o-o-sa-ka kyu-shu. But some cannot handle it. Debbie Spillane keeps calling Minami Sanriku Ma-na-ma san-ri-ka. Another ABC Newsradio reporter calls the Japanese PM "NO-a-to Can". It's Naoto Kan. Celina Edmonds is terribly challenged by any non-Australian names. She endlessly calls him NAYOETOE Kan. Hey, Kulana, I mean Celina, Naoto is Naoto. Paolo (Italian) is Paolo. Not Payoloe. God help us if a plane goes down in Poland.

Edited by fox1, 16 March 2011 - 01:57 PM.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #193

• 3,250 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

God help us if a plane goes down in Poland.

Remember the death of the Polish President Lech KaczyƄski, the former President Ryszard Kaczorowski as well as dozens more in that plane crash in Russia?
Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #194

• 20,013 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

Some newsreaders are a little dyslexic. Japanese is the easiest language to pronounce on earth by far. Hi-ro-shi-ma
na-ga-sa-ki fu-ji-ya-ma mi-tsu-bi-shi ni-n-te-n-do o-o-sa-ka kyu-shu. But some cannot handle it. Debbie Spillane keeps calling Minami Sanriku Ma-na-ma san-ri-ka. Another ABC Newsradio reporter calls the Japanese PM "NO-a-to Can". It's Naoto Kan. Celina Edmonds is terribly challenged by any non-Australian names. She endlessly calls him NAYOETOE Kan. Hey, Kulana, I mean Celina, Naoto is Naoto. Paolo (Italian) is Paolo. Not Payoloe. God help us if a plane goes down in Poland.

I've also noticed some newsreaders having pronounced things correctly in the beginning are now pronouncing them wrongly, in particular "Fukushima".

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #195

• 934 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

In any case, there is no nuclear crisis in Japan - Andrew Bolt said so in today's Herald-Sun...

OFFLINE   BJT #196

• 3,542 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

In any case, there is no nuclear crisis in Japan - Andrew Bolt said so in today's Herald-Sun...

cant stand that guy! I hate his views on everything!

OFFLINE   bambbbam #197

• 4,068 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

cant stand that guy! I hate his views on everything!

He was funny on Insiders on the weekend, laying into Kevin Rudd.

OFFLINE   robsNEWS #198

• 915 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Fox1..it is not as easy as you think pronouncing foreign names that you have barely heard of. Japanese is not the one of the easiest languages to learn. When you are reading a news story, it is not just the names that are foreign that you have to think about constantly, but it is the whole story and how it is presented. I work in radio and read the news on radio and trust me, you can practice those names as many times as you want, but there will be times where it does not come out how it should. Cut the newsreaders some slack. People have this notion that reading news is an easy thing, but there are not too many people who can sit there in front of camera with things going on around the studio, the warm studio lights and countless names in news stories that do take time to grasp.
There are some who just have it...George Donikian is the master of getting the names right and some don't.

OFFLINE   fox1 #199

• 4,674 posts since
  • April 2003

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

Yes, and I have read news too. I never said Japanese is easy to learn, I said it is easiest to pronounce. And it is. English is very hard. Wealthy. Heath. Heather. Heart. Tear. Tear. Death. Dearth. Break. Wear. Create. Cornea. All different sounds of "ea". And that is JUST "ea"!! Japanese, on the other hand, is exactly as you see it. Ka-ra-te. Sa-mu-ra-i. Yakitori chikin (yes, that is "chicken"). Yakisoba. Rabu hoteru ("love hotel"). Origami. See, couldn't be easier!

Edited by fox1, 16 March 2011 - 10:35 PM.

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #200

• 934 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

Japanese, on the other hand, is exactly as you see it. Ka-ra-te. Sa-mu-ra-i. Yakitori chikin (yes, that is "chicken"). Yakisoba. Rabu hoteru ("love hotel"). Origami. See, couldn't be easier!

The empahsised syllables aren't "exactly as you see it", and that's where most people have problems. Same as someone seeing an unfamiliar surname, and emphasising the wrong syllable. Ka-RA-te. Na-ga-SA-ki, and SA-mu-ra-i all emphasise a different syllable - and that's NOT apparent from simply seeing the written word...

Edited by Dr. Keats, 16 March 2011 - 10:53 PM.