Seven West Media

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   kevizz #41

• 4,740 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

Where has it been updated? The style and flash animations are the same as they have been for years...

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #42

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

Report in the AFR this morning suggested that "some Seven West executives are very interested" in moving into metropolitan radio. Seven West says it has "no current plans" in that direction. More here.

The newly created media group Seven West Media has denied a report today that executives at the company are "very interested" in entering the metropolitan radio sector.

The Australian Financial Review quotes an unnamed source as stating that while the business is focused on paying down its $2 billion debt, "some Seven West executives are very interested" in making a radio investment: possibly involving a merger with or acquisition of the Macquarie Radio Network.

In a statement to the stock exchange, Seven West said that it "rejects speculation in the newspaper report today" regarding its plans in the radio sector.

OFFLINE   Squee! #43

• Forum Moderator

• 11,003 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

already terrified at the thought of Seven trying to buy Mix94.5 in Perth.

OFFLINE   JamesJ #44

• 223 posts since
  • May 2011

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

Surely they wouldnt be allowed to purchase the most popular radio station, given they already own the most popular TV station and only daily newspaper in Perth?

OFFLINE   kevizz #45

• 4,740 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

Yikes, you'd hope so, wouldn't you. :eyepopping:

Speaking of "cross-brand synergy", I picked up The West for the first time in a while and saw a honking great advertisement for tonight's Seven News on the inside cover. Unlike television where every primetime promo sacrifices advertising revenue, Newspapers only give up prime positions occasionally, so filling them constantly with Seven advertisements is a very smart business decision. I think this merger will probably end up securing Seven's dominance in Perth for a long time to come, radio isn't needed.

OFFLINE   7HD #46

• 996 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

Yikes, you'd hope so, wouldn't you. :eyepopping:

Speaking of "cross-brand synergy", I picked up The West for the first time in a while and saw a honking great advertisement for tonight's Seven News on the inside cover. Unlike television where every primetime promo sacrifices advertising revenue, Newspapers only give up prime positions occasionally, so filling them constantly with Seven advertisements is a very smart business decision. I think this merger will probably end up securing Seven's dominance in Perth for a long time to come, radio isn't needed.

the website even has references to Yahoo!7, 7News and Today Tonight
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #47

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

SWM full-year results out this morning. More here.

Seven West Media today reported a full-year net profit of $115.1 million, in the first set of results since West Australian Newspapers' acquisition of Seven Media Group earlier this year.

The profit figure for the twelve months to 25 June represents an increase of 19.6 per cent on the previous financial year. The company reported earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) of $617.5 million, within the $610-620 million range given in market guidance.

While the results were largely in line with expectations, investors reacted enthusiastically to today's announcements, sending Seven West's shares soaring by as much as 23 per cent in early trade.

OFFLINE   WAtv #48

• 2,840 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

SWM full-year results out this morning. More here.

My son was at 7 Perth on business the other
Day he said that the complex was in a bad way and it looked really old
The building was built in 1959
I wonder when they will be moving
WaTv

OFFLINE   Squee! #49

• Forum Moderator

• 11,003 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

It's looked run down for years. Would be nice if they could move to a much smaller, more appropriate studio on the perth entertainment centre land, or failing then even just setting up shop at Newspaper House in Osborne Park since its all the same company now.

OFFLINE   JamesJ #50

• 223 posts since
  • May 2011

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

Word is they aren't using the entertainment centre land for a studio -- they're holding out for the Waterfront development. An odd choice I would have thought, but oh well. Failing that, they'll move to Osborne Park/ Herdsman...

OFFLINE   kevizz #51

• 4,740 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:44 AM

Word is they aren't using the entertainment centre land for a studio -- they're holding out for the Waterfront development. An odd choice I would have thought, but oh well. Failing that, they'll move to Osborne Park/ Herdsman...

The Waterfront Precinct will probably be finished before City Link, so it's not really 'holding out'. Waterfront will probably end up being busier around broadcast time and will look a lot nicer, so it would be an amazing spot for a street studio.

Not sure if it makes sense in financial terms though; building a studio for free by factoring the cost into the sale of the rest of the PEC lands as opposed to forking out God knows how much for space in what will end up being one of the country's most expensive developments...

That said, a combined Seven and West newsroom in Newspaper House would make for a nice backdrop too, not to mention vastly improving newsgathering.

Edited by kevizz, 05 October 2011 - 12:50 AM.

OFFLINE   jimbo #52

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:27 AM

Channel 7, 9 and 10 in Perth are all a bit outdated. Not limited to Channel 7...

OFFLINE   JamesJ #53

• 223 posts since
  • May 2011

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:27 AM

The Waterfront Precinct will probably be finished before City Link, so it's not really 'holding out'. Waterfront will probably end up being busier around broadcast time and will look a lot nicer, so it would be an amazing spot for a street studio.

Not sure if it makes sense in financial terms though; building a studio for free by factoring the cost into the sale of the rest of the PEC lands as opposed to forking out God knows how much for space in what will end up being one of the country's most expensive developments...

That said, a combined Seven and West newsroom in Newspaper House would make for a nice backdrop too, not to mention vastly improving newsgathering.

I have to disagree -- the waterfront is at the planning stages, the focus of the State Government is the Link. Work has already begun on the station modifications required for the Link, and the work for the main sinking is up for tender.

It's a project far far ahead of any waterfront proposal.

Also, given that the Link will contain a major public space sitting between one of Perth's busiest bus stations, and Perth train station, I would expect that area would be quite busy around broadcast time.

What I don't understand, is given all this, they're still aiming for the 'prestige' I suppose of a waterfront development. Unless they're also purchasing the signage rights to the tower they're going to sit in, I don't see the point, myself. Especially considering they already own the PEC land.

Edited by JamesJ, 05 October 2011 - 06:27 AM.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #54

• 4,079 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

This was from Seven News Perth last week - I think it's the SWM office in Melbourne?

Posted Image

Edited by bambbbam, 05 October 2011 - 07:44 AM.

OFFLINE   WAtv #55

• 2,840 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

Channel 7, 9 and 10 in Perth are all a bit outdated. Not limited to Channel 7...

10 complex been around since 1988
9 complex has been around since 1964
WaTv

OFFLINE   kevizz #56

• 4,740 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

What I don't understand, is given all this, they're still aiming for the 'prestige' I suppose of a waterfront development. Unless they're also purchasing the signage rights to the tower they're going to sit in, I don't see the point, myself. Especially considering they already own the PEC land.

Keep in mind I'm not disagreeing with you, and as I thought I made clear from my previous comment I think the financial realities of the situation make a waterfront location pretty unlikely. It doesn't really matter which one's finished first, what matters is when Seven is able to move in. While Link will take significantly longer to finish, Seven will be able to build there on land they already own as soon as the PEC is demolished, which is a big advantage over waiting for another developer to build at Waterfront.

The following is off topic but included for clarity's sake:

I have to disagree -- the waterfront is at the planning stages, the focus of the State Government is the Link. Work has already begun on the station modifications required for the Link, and the work for the main sinking is up for tender.

It's a project far far ahead of any waterfront proposal.

Detailed documentation for Waterfront is being finalised and public works is scheduled to being after CHOGM ends, to be finished by April 2012. Private construction of buildings is set to begin after that. (source: Planning WA webpage).

While preliminary site work has begun on the Link, the substantial aspects of the development (sinking the railway and developing public spaces) are not expected to be finished before 2017. (source: EPRA webspace).

Currently being "far far ahead" (A few fences are up and some site clearing has begun) is absolutely irrelevant to when it will be completed. Look at City Square tower and Perth Arena, who'd have though Perth's largest office tower could be built faster than 15,000 seat venue?

Ignoring preliminary completion dates, think about it logically: What's going to be quicker to complete? What has more potential to be delayed or encounter problems? Digging a big rectangle out of a riverbank or sinking and covering of a fully functioning railway followed by the reconnection of several streets, the creation of a public plaza and an underground bus station?

Edited by kevizz, 05 October 2011 - 06:48 PM.

ONLINE   BJT #57

• 3,590 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

If 7Perth did move.... It would most likely be offices and a small Studio for News/TT.
No production studio for other programming?

OFFLINE   Squee! #58

• Forum Moderator

• 11,003 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Sounds right. They wouldn't require anything else as nothing is produced at Seven Perth anymore apart from News/TT.

ONLINE   BJT #59

• 3,590 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

I still think a general medium sized production studio should be incorporated into the design... you never know what might be needed in the near future.

What does 7Adelaide have?

Edited by BJT, 05 October 2011 - 09:26 PM.

OFFLINE   WAtv #60

• 2,840 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Sounds right. They wouldn't require anything else as nothing is produced at Seven Perth anymore apart from News/TT.

Why coundnt they convert a small part of pcec they use it for telethon
WaTv