ABC 4 Kids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #41

• Forum Administrator

• 11,430 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

I'm wondering why schools programming (if it still exists) hasn't been moved to ABC3. It's a channel for school-aged children, surely they could find the obvious link...

there's so little schools programming these days it wouldn't make much difference. I think now the only schools programming is between about 10 and 11am. Not like the old days when schools programs were scattered all day between 9am and 3pm...

Not the most reliable source I know, but Wikipedia lists them as having shared the one LCN.

yeah, well... with all due respect... Wikipedia... :scared: :mischievous:

I would probably have remembered the LCNs myself except my first generation set-top-box, such a marvel of technology it was in 2002, didn't use LCNs! It sorted channels by frequency not by LCN, so it listed Seven's channels first because they were VHF 6, then Nine's (VHF 8) and so on ... but not for this topic :P

I do recall that some Fly programming was shown on ABC (1) on Saturday mornings.

Yep they did

OFFLINE   Moe #42

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

I disagree, ABC3 is a great channel.

For 3 hours in the morning and 5 in the evening it is, but the daytime is useless, which is the main point. The ABC are running a channel that targets an audience who can't watch half of the programming.

The point is that ABC2 could run pre-school programming from 6-9 and 3-7 and then have 9-3 on ABC3 target pre-school viewers, who are actually able to watch the programming.

An ideal solution would be dynamically allocating the bandwidth and giving them all distinct channels, rename News 24 to the ABC News Channel (like what the BBC did) and move it to a different LCN (20?), then give ABC4 Kids the 24 LCN. For bandwidth:
(2/21) ABC1 - 24 hours
(22) ABC2 - Startup at 9am, shutdown from 3pm-7pm, startup again at 7 and run through until 6am.
(23) ABC3 - Startup at 6am, shutdown from 9am-3pm, startup again at 3 and run through until 9pm.
(24) ABC4 Kids - Startup at 6am using ABC2 bandwidth, switch to ABC3 bandwidth at 9, switch back to ABC2 bandwidth at 3, shutdown at 7.
(20) ABC News Channel - 24 hours

During downtime, the channels would essentially use about 1Mbps on a static slide, compared to 4-5Mbps running programming, maintaining picture quality. On weekends, ABC2 would startup at 7pm, with both ABC3 and ABC4 running programming throughout the day. On public holidays, News 24 could switch to SD to allow ABC2 to run its regular schedule and have both children's channels on air.

OFFLINE   Kirben #43

• 70 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

If the ABC want to increase their funds, they should stop wasting money on reality TV garbage, and subsiding the local Australian industry. Reality TV series didn't effect children's programing much, until the ABC starting producing and licensing reality TV series for children. And I'm tired of the ABC constantly licensing Australia TV series for children, that have previously been shown by the commercial TV network. Especially when the quality of Australian TV series continues to get worse over time, with recent terrible shows like Sally Bollywood and Sumo Mouse.

The ABC2 is literary the baby sitter channel, and should be merged with the ABC3. With programming for younger children, shown during school hours.

The ABC3 is an absolute joke, offering little new or quality content, and about 90% endless repeats. Most of the content produced by the ABC is simply infotainment (i.e. computer games show, game show, music show, sports show), which is already frequently produced by the commercial TV network, since it is easier, with lower costs. Quality content (i.e. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Degrassi: The Next Generation, Silverwing) is too rare on the ABC3.

New cartoon series on the ABC3 have been reduced to mostly silly/stupid series, while new live action series seem generic and all much the same. Several of the recent licenses (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Vampire Knight) seem more like the actions of a commercial TV network, based on what they assume will rate well.

Edited by Kirben, 20 May 2011 - 01:37 PM.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #44

• 6,739 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Because I had nothing better to do, and because I wanted to capture something other than stuff from Seven/Nine/Ten, here's a few short clips of the presentation of ABC4 Kids:

10 Second "Coming Up Next" Lineup:

15 Second "Giggle & Hoot" Competition Promo. Apparently, Hoot the Owl has a girlfriend now:

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #45

• 6,739 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

PRG/Watermark Animation. Also includes Giggle & Hoot Breakbumper:

...and pretty much the same clip as the one above, except it's the other way around:

EDIT: The watermark on the second clip just fades out!

Edited by SydneyCityTV, 20 February 2012 - 01:30 PM.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #46

• 6,739 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

ABC4 Kids Holding Slide. Used before the channel opens everyday at 6am.
Posted Image