Go Back To Where You Came From

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #1

• 20,065 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

SBS is to tackle the heated asylum-seeker debate from a bold new angle with a documentary series it describes as the most ambitious ever made for Australian television.

Go Back To Where You Came From, which launches on June 21 during Refugee Week, takes six Australians with deeply differing views on refugees and asylum-seekers on a real refugee journey in reverse.

The six participants start their journey living locally with recently settled refugees and asylum-seekers, before being stripped of wallets, phones and passports and put on a leaky refugee boat.

They end up in Malaysia sharing a flat with 52 refugees from Burma..

Some then travel via a Kenyan refugee camp to Goma and others to the slums of Jordan and on to Baghdad.

Both journeys were dangerous, with UN peacekeepers and the US military called on to safeguard the groups.

SOURCE

OFFLINE   SA TV #2

• 8,347 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

Oh honestly! I do love when they try to disguise 'reality tv' as a 'documentary'.

ONLINE   Squee! #3

• Forum Moderator

• 11,268 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

ABC/SBS try and position themselves too highbrow to use the term reality TV... its stupid.
Wonder how many of the six are the typical bogan "fuck off we're full" sticker, southern cross tattoo toting folk...

OFFLINE   J Bar #4

• 15,349 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

This show has certainly stirred up the media today. It could be a big rating show for SBS.
J Bar

ONLINE   kevizz #5

• 5,010 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

Absolutely fantastic idea for a show! If only bogans watched SBS...

Edited by kevizz, 20 May 2011 - 12:23 AM.

OFFLINE   J Bar #6

• 15,349 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

Nine might pick up the repeat rights as they did with Top Gear & South Park and it will become a smash hit. :P
J Bar

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #7

• 5,565 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

What a ridiculous concept for a show.

ONLINE   kevizz #8

• 5,010 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

What a ridiculous concept for a show.

How is an informative documentary about a topical issue mixed with the perspectives and opinions of regular Australians ridiculous? From first look I think its the best thing to come out of SBS in years.

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #9

• 5,565 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

Ridiculous because the outcome is assured.

It won't be a fair or balanced documentary, it will be a look at what the asylum seekers face in their own country, boo hoo, nothing but how tough it is over there, nothing about the impact it has on communities here (apart from the feel good positive stories - and by that I mean it won't cover either the issues caused by or faced by asylum seekers good or bad), complete with the stereotypical bogan Aussies who say "F*ck off we're full" who will then feel bad for having a differing opinion on their issue, and then that will wrap it up.

I agree it is a topical issue 100% and I agree there are lots of different viewpoints but this will only cover the politically correct feelgood side about those who faced it all so badly overseas, risked it all to come to Australia, faced nothing but Australian "racism" and then now have made a go of things here - where is the side that shows the recent asylum seekers who threatened to take a staffer hostage or those who face issues as it turns out they're not who they say they are? Likewise where's the side that shows the hardships faced by those who just want to get on with things rather than those who want media attention to help their cause? Where's the not racist differeing view on their status by those other than the bogan Aussies?

For the record I don't have an opinion strongly either way but when a show sets out to display one side of the debate and masks it as a documentary, I won't be tuning in.

OFFLINE   J Bar #10

• 15,349 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

I agree it is a topical issue 100% and I agree there are lots of different viewpoints but this will only cover the politically correct feelgood side about those who faced it all so badly overseas, risked it all to come to Australia, faced nothing but Australian "racism" and then now have made a go of things here - where is the side that shows the recent asylum seekers who threatened to take a staffer hostage or those who face issues as it turns out they're not who they say they are?

Haven't you already seen enough of that on the news?
J Bar

OFFLINE   ka86 #11

• 231 posts since
  • April 2010

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

Haven't you already seen enough of that on the news?

This show really good....it should bring back some of the humanity back to the asylum seeker debate in Australia. The current debate where people are like "F#k of we're full" and "Stop the Boats" is atrocious.

Political opinions aside, it will hopefully give SBS a kick in the ratings....god they need it.

ONLINE   kevizz #12

• 5,010 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:29 AM

New promos

Short general:

Individual cast:

More available at www.youtube.com/user/SBSAustralia

Edited by kevizz, 18 June 2011 - 01:30 AM.

OFFLINE   craig77 #13

• 858 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

This show really good....it should bring back some of the humanity back to the asylum seeker debate in Australia. The current debate where people are like "F#k of we're full" and "Stop the Boats" is atrocious.

Political opinions aside, it will hopefully give SBS a kick in the ratings....god they need it.

your right, but unfortunately the "today tonight" watching "use the front door or get the fuck out" audience that need to see this wont venture from "Australia's Got Talent" or "Masterchef" to watch it..

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #14

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

I think it's unfortunate that there are some people who won't consider watching the series on the basis that they fear it will compel them, even only transiently, to see refugees as humans in dire circumstances. But each to their own, I guess.

On a different but related matter, I think Dahlia Lithwick's commentary this week on Justice Sotomayor's majority opinion and Justice Alito's dissent in JDB v North Carolina touched on a nice point. The subject here is jurisprudence, but if anything, I think it's even more salient when we're talking about political debate.

Alito, in despairing at the prospect of a judge imagining himself to be 15 again, gives voice to the idea that it's insane for a judge to even try to empathize. Sotomayor, meanwhile, signals an understanding that "reasonable people" and "reasonable children" are fundamentally different beings, and that it is no sin for the courts to acknowledge that truth—particularly since so few 13-year-olds sit on the federal bench. Sotomayor reminds us that it isn't wrong for judges to imagine themselves in lives they don't lead, or interrogation rooms they've never known. She reminds us that courts at their best make these leaps of feeling because it's a part of the job.

In an essay about the benefits of judicial empathy, Joel K. Goldstein argues that one of the court's finest achievements, Brown v. Board of Education, struck down racially segregated education solely because all nine justices were able to imagine that it led to African-American children having a "feeling of inferiority as to their status in the community that may affect their hearts and minds in a way unlikely ever to be undone." The saddest part of Alito's dissent isn't that he can't imagine being a 13-year-old boy. It's that he thinks it's folly even to try.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #15

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 12,055 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

SBS is trying hard to promote the show. When I was watching Iron Chef last night, whenever it returned from the ad break, the logo's appeared near the top right corner of the screen for about 10 seconds, showing the premiere date and time. I guess this will apply to other programs (excluding news) on SBS ONE.

OFFLINE   J Bar #16

• 15,349 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

SBS is trying hard to promote the show. When I was watching Iron Chef last night, whenever it returned from the ad break, the logo's appeared near the top right corner of the screen for about 10 seconds, showing the premiere date and time. I guess this will apply to other programs (excluding news) on SBS ONE.

Hate these type of promos. SBS has been infected by the same disease that afflicts the other commercial networks.

Edited by J Bar, 20 June 2011 - 12:12 PM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #17

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 12,055 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

There was also a full-page advertisement in Chinese newspapers on the weekend promoting the show.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #18

• News Contributor

• 4,497 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

Pretty interesting so far, far better than any ten minutes I've bothered to watch in regards to 'AGT' or 'MC'. To some extent it's a thinly-veiled reality program that uses a more controversial topic as it's storyboard, but hey, it could be worse.

OFFLINE   thefactis #19

• 62 posts since
  • January 2011

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

That was thought provoking television. Brilliant. Shame that the people who need to watch this won't. It's really sad the ignorance displayed by some of these people, especially the girl from Blacktown and the man who made assumptions that Muslims are trying to change the 'Australia way of Life' based on media reports. Congrats on SBS and the producers for compelling viewing.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #20

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

Twitter was awash with comments about the programme tonight. I haven't had the chance to watch it yet as I was working this evening - will have a look in the morning.