Go Back To Where You Came From

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #21

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:47 AM

I haven't had the chance to watch it yet as I was working this evening - will have a look in the morning.

Couldn't wait until then, so I watched it just now: and it didn't disappoint. This was about as far from life-affirming, feel-good viewing as you could get: it was exceptionally confronting and tough to watch, and I think that would apply to just about any viewer irrespective of their attitudinal starting point. It was astounding television.

To be honest, I wasn't annoyed or depressed to hear the opinions of some of the participants: some viewers might have wanted to throw things at their television sets, but I appreciated the frankness with which they spoke. The most intriguing part of the episode for me was right at the end when Darren Hassan (the Liberal with the glasses) expressed his discomfort at the way the experience/experiment was, in his view, "emotionally involving us without our consent": he was unwillingly being pulled into a new reality where every instinct would be driving him toward essentially an human understanding of refugees.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #22

• News Contributor

• 4,497 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

Though once he realised his words werent portraying him in the best light, he quickly canned the conversation. Really interesting series and HEAPS of comment is filtering through commercial radio/tv this morning, not to mention Twitter still going insane over the program. I'd expect some solid ratings for SBS.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #23

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

524,000 viewers - I believe that's the best audience SBS has had this year.

Though once he realised his words werent portraying him in the best light, he quickly canned the conversation.

Mm, but I was glad that he expressed the sentiments at all. From a viewer perspective, it was enlightening to see his realisation that although those in the general public could just switch off or avoid the programme altogether if they feared it would challenge their neatly preconceived notions, he couldn't - he was, essentially, trapped.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #24

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,903 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Episode 2 was watched by 569,000 viewers last night.
SBS has announced a one-hour forum show, to be hosted by Anton Enus and featuring all six participants. It will be shown on SBS ONE next Tuesday (June 28) at 8.30pm.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #25

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

Indeed, yes. The Spy Report:

SBS said today that it would hold a televised forum to discuss the issues raised by its popular docu-reality series Go Back To Where You Came From.

The tie-in programme will go to air SBS One at 8:30pm next Tuesday, moderated by the news presenter Anton Enus and featuring Go Back's six participants. The broadcaster is also calling on those who have discussed the series on social-networking sites to submit applications to become members of the audience.

If anyone's interested in being an audience member, go to the form here. You'll need to have discussed or commented on the show in some way via a social-networking service or on the SBS site.

OFFLINE   Mirzeta #26

• 1 posts since
  • June 2011

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

I haven't watched anything better on the Australian TV for years. I hope that many Raquels, Rayes... tuned in. It is a slap in the face to those with "I made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" attitude.
The refugee issue is very complex, and the Australian governement's approach, inflated out of proportions, attitude towards 'boat people'is no better then from how refugees are treated in Malaysian and DRC's refugees camps. There are 43mill refugees around the world, and Australia accepted 13,000 refugees last year which represents 0.3%. The biggest takers of refugees are developing countries. 2mill refugees live in Pakistan alone,followed by Iran and Syria. Australian audience need serious education on refugee plight, as since Howard's Tampa overboard hoax has escalated into today's public paranoia, that is used by our politicians as elections scapegoat. Shame on you Julia and your proposed Malaysia deal. If you have no idea about global issue, hire a qualified advisor. I hope our politicians watched 'Go back to where you came from'series, while I am sure Julia was busy doing her hear, manicure and false lashes, thinking what to wear tomorrow in which her bum will not look as big as her ignorance and indiference.

OFFLINE   newtaste #27

• News Contributor

• 5,310 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:00 AM

From twitter:

meadea #gobackSBS
jumps to 600,000

Expect a second series?

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #28

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'd watch a second series, but in a sense it feels to me like a one-time programme. The series' impact came from the fact that it genuinely was ground-breaking, and I'm not sure that it would be able to leave an equal impression on audiences the second time around.

OFFLINE   bettestreep2008 #29

• 314 posts since
  • July 2009

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

I would like to see a second series but instead of "ordinary" folk - how about a few politicians, journalists and other outspoken racists.

May I suggest the followingl;- John Howard, Amanda Vanstone, Peter Reith, Phillip Ruddock, Tony Abbott, Scott Morrison, Julia Gillard, Chris Bowen, Andrew Bolt, Alan Jones, Pauline Hanson and Rupert Murdoch?

Howard should definitely be sent to Iraq so he can see firsthand what his decisions have resulted in.
Reith should be put on a boat with a group of boatpeople he accused of throwing their children overboard.
Bolt shoud be sent to Christmas Island - on a leaky boat of course.
Abbott and Morrisson could be sent to Nauru since they are so besotted with the place.
Vanstone should be sent to the Sudan - she'd be lost without her smorgasbord of Italian pasta.
Gillard and Bowen should be sent to Malaysian detention centres so they can see first hand how racist and inhumane their solution is.

This show was one of the most thought provoking and intelligent pieces of television I have ever seen in my life. It should be compulsory viewing for all politicians who use these people as a means to win elections and opinion polls.

Brilliant stuff and can't wait for the "reunion" show on Tuesday.

OFFLINE   simmo #30

• 213 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

I would like to see a second series but instead of "ordinary" folk - how about a few politicians, journalists and other outspoken racists.

May I suggest the followingl;- John Howard, Amanda Vanstone, Peter Reith, Phillip Ruddock, Tony Abbott, Scott Morrison, Julia Gillard, Chris Bowen, Andrew Bolt, Alan Jones, Pauline Hanson and Rupert Murdoch?

Howard should definitely be sent to Iraq so he can see firsthand what his decisions have resulted in.
Reith should be put on a boat with a group of boatpeople he accused of throwing their children overboard.
Bolt shoud be sent to Christmas Island - on a leaky boat of course.
Abbott and Morrisson could be sent to Nauru since they are so besotted with the place.
Vanstone should be sent to the Sudan - she'd be lost without her smorgasbord of Italian pasta.
Gillard and Bowen should be sent to Malaysian detention centres so they can see first hand how racist and inhumane their solution is.

This show was one of the most thought provoking and intelligent pieces of television I have ever seen in my life. It should be compulsory viewing for all politicians who use these people as a means to win elections and opinion polls.

Brilliant stuff and can't wait for the "reunion" show on Tuesday.

it certainly was confronting television......and i like your idea for a second series with people such as above....actually it would be nice to see some of them on next tuesday night's follow up.....that would be interesting

OFFLINE   schultzy #31

• 629 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

i heard at school today that it might be implimented into the school curriculum

OFFLINE   bambbbam #32

• 4,183 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

Australia accepted 13,000 refugees last year which represents 0.3%.

Commensurate with our population.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #33

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,903 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

i heard at school today that it might be implimented into the school curriculum

Brilliant idea.

OFFLINE   NewsKing #34

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,918 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Expect a second series?

Maybe on the misrepresentation of Global Warming?

OFFLINE   kevizz #35

• 4,906 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

Commensurate with our population.

Based on what? Other comparable countries accept significantly higher amounts, adjusted for population.

OFFLINE   craig77 #36

• 858 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

Well, i IQ'd this during the the week and planned to watch all three eps back to back today, I've just to the end of ep 2 and am drained, so, I am going to delay the 3rd ep until tomorrow.

WOW! I don't think I have ever seen anything like this on TV before, it's just captivating and ive already cried about 3 times. It's potentially one of the best TV shows I have ever come across and certainly a viewing experience I won't forget

Raquel is a pain in the arse, she seems completely unwilling to involve herself in the process and refusing to even challenge her current beliefs. She keeps referring to wanting to go home, I kind of wish she would and wonder what the hell she thought she was signing up for. I cant help but wonder if she saw this as a way to get here reality-TV 15 minutes of fame

On that, I would be curious given the people in this apparently didn't know what they were signing up, I would be curious to know how the casting was done.

Not sure another series would work, It's aired, it did well, it has hopefully served its purpose

OFFLINE   J Bar #37

• 15,239 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

Perhaps if they did do another series they could tackle some different social issues involving Indigenous people or people living on welfare/unemployment benefits, the homeless or mentally ill. There could be some interesting ways of making people aware of other social issues.

Edit To Add: Having just watched these three episodes, I can't see how anything else could be as powerful as what wa hown here. Wow! I wonder if they'll sell this concept to other countries and have them do the same with Brits, Americans, Germans etc.

Edited by J Bar, 27 June 2011 - 02:02 PM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #38

• Forum Administrator

• 11,579 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

this seems to have slipped under the radar but AdNews reports that there will be a second series:

EXCLUSIVE: Hit reality program Go Back to Where You Came From will return for a second Australian series and the format may be sold overseas.

Michael Cordell, co-owner and executive producer of Cordell Jigsaw, the production company behind Go Back To Where You Came From, told AdNews that “there will definitely be a second series”. Cordell said the show will remain on SBS but may have some “surprising twists” and changes in the new series.

http://www.adnews.co...gee-reality-hit

ONLINE   Squee! #39

• Forum Moderator

• 11,178 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

Format could definitely be retooled and work really well in the US in regards to Mexican illegal immigration.

Edited by Squee!, 02 July 2011 - 10:14 PM.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #40

• 4,183 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Based on what? Other comparable countries accept significantly higher amounts, adjusted for population.

And others do far less than us.

Our world population is around 1/3rd of 1%, and that pretty much corresponds with the world % of refugees we accept.