The Voice

• Please log in to reply
1349 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Matlock #481

• News Contributor

• 6,081 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Nine should be happy with the 3 eps. The Voice is dominating the three most watched nights of the week and has won the week for them for the first time since September 2010.

OFFLINE   triton #482

• 1,722 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

To tonights show the girl who is blind was amazing. She might struggle in battle rounds though. It would be extremely difficult for her and to be honest she would be better on a show like Australia's Got Talent only because of the way this format is with those battle rounds.

AGT knocked her back.

OFFLINE   triton #483

• 1,722 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Rachael said after her performance that her 18th birthday was the next day. Was that the day after broadcast or the day after recording? I've Googled for her birthday but I can't find it. She doesn't have a Wikipedia entry yet.

OFFLINE   icat #484

• 7,156 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

AGT knocked her back.

So did X Factor. Look put aside her being blind for a minute. Does she have one of the best voices in the competition? Probably not.
Nine reasons to watch Titus Pollo on Rome.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   Swanny #485

• Retired Admin

• 4,317 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Rachael said after her performance that her 18th birthday was the next day. Was that the day after broadcast or the day after recording? I've Googled for her birthday but I can't find it. She doesn't have a Wikipedia entry yet.

Errr... just curious, why does it matter?

OFFLINE   triton #486

• 1,722 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Swanny, it doesn't really matter, but If it was the day after recording it tells us when it was recorded (of mild interest), but if it was the day after broadcast it means she was prepared beforehand to anticipate the question and what to say,and that it was really maybe months before her 18th birthday, which makes the performance slightly more impressive since you can't say any more that she was effectively 18.

Look put aside her being blind for a minute. Does she have one of the best voices in the competition? Probably not.

Well, I don't know what you were listening to. She has a stunning voice. And read what others say on the youtube clip.

OFFLINE   icat #487

• 7,156 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

I didn't say she didn't have a good voice. I don't think she necessarily has the best voice in the competition. Too many people get rapped up in the emotional factor.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   Swanny #488

• Retired Admin

• 4,317 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Swanny, it doesn't really matter, but If it was the day after recording it tells us when it was recorded (of mild interest), but if it was the day after broadcast it means she was prepared beforehand to anticipate the question and what to say,and that it was really maybe months before her 18th birthday, which makes the performance slightly more impressive since you can't say any more that she was effectively 18.

Haha, ok fair enough.

On another note, it's funny seeing this thread's preview in Tapatalk:

"Ten have a new shiny floor format to kick off the ratings year."

Yeah, they wish :P

OFFLINE   triton #489

• 1,722 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

I didn't say she didn't have a good voice. I don't think she necessarily has the best voice in the competition. Too many people get rapped up in the emotional factor.

I didn't say you said she doesn't have a good voice. You said you don't think she has even _one_ of the best voices in the competition. If that's the case then what an extraordinary array of amateur talent they have.

Try this, from when she was 16 or younger:

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #490

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,103 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

According to TV Tonight, next week The Voice will be shown at 6.30pm Sunday, 8pm Monday and 7.30pm Tuesday. But the week after it will be 7.30pm Monday and 8pm Tuesday.

OFFLINE   icat #491

• 7,156 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Too much stuffing around with different timeslots.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   icat #492

• 7,156 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

If that's the case then what an extraordinary array of amateur talent they have.

Can it be amatuer talent when some of the contestants have been paid performers?
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #493

• 934 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Not only paid performers, but actually released discs - Mahalia Barnes released an EP in 2006, another in 2007, and an album last month.

Haven't had much interest in the show, so I'm unaware of the show's rules, and what they're looking for - is it strictly undiscovered talent, or open to pretty much anyone?

OFFLINE   Frank Calabrese #494

• 14 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

Not only paid performers, but actually released discs - Mahalia Barnes released an EP in 2006, another in 2007, and an album last month.

Haven't had much interest in the show, so I'm unaware of the show's rules, and what they're looking for - is it strictly undiscovered talent, or open to pretty much anyone?

And an LP with her siblings as a Child - Who can forget The Tin Lids - oh and she's appeared on her Dad's (Jimmy's) last couple of Albums as well.

ONLINE   TelevisionAU #495

• Forum Administrator

• 11,265 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

it appears to be a mix of amateur and professional talent. Some of the contestants seen earlier in the week have worked in professional musical theatre. One of them had already worked on Broadway. Another contestant was an established backing singer.

One contestant was Matt Hetherington who has been a professional television and theatre performer for many years, starring in a number of major productions.

I don't quite understand how it is an equal playing field when they've got amateurs who've never so much as auditioned for anything before, up against people who have more a decade of professional experience?

OFFLINE   triton #496

• 1,722 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Rachael has many videos on youtube going back years. She sounds great in all the ones I played. Many have audiences and backing bands, so she has plenty of experience, but they all look like pretty small events so she still satisfies "undiscovered talent" for the wider public.

BTW, she's 12 in the one where she sings "I Got The Music In Me" and you can see at the end where's she's helped off the stage that her sight was pretty bad then (with her condition sight apparently worsens as you get older).

OFFLINE   EMQ #497

• 853 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

I wonder if tonight is just a repeat of Sunday's ep rather than the first 3

OFFLINE   triton #498

• 1,722 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

^Yes. Eps 2 & 3 are repeated on Go! tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon.

OFFLINE   underarm #499

• 2,153 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Even the encore screening of the Voice did well, beating everything that Ten had on offer.

OFFLINE   MillerT1 #500

• 1,320 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

An encore of a 2 million+ show on a night that is very very weak was gonna do well. I think it only did a little less than Hey Hey Reunion encore got back in October 2009 so that makes sense.