Android

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Big Dan #1

• 18,475 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

Who here has an Android device of some sort?

I have a HTC Wildfire phone and a Optus Mytab tablet (otherwise known as the ZTE V9), both upgraded to Android 2.2 (aka Froyo). Did have a Pioneer Dreambook, rooted and unattached to any network, until the internals and power cord broke over the weekend.

The MyTab is excellent value at $99, on sale at Big W and at Aus Post.
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Swanny #2

• Retired Admin

• 4,294 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

I'll just say... it's a top herd I'm following ;)

Sent from my iPhone.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #3

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 10,919 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

I am planning to get an Android tablet but for me, now is still not the time to buy one, because the products currently on sale all have some flaws.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #4

• 18,475 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

I'll just say... it's a top herd I'm following ;)

Sent from my iPhone.

I have an iPod, and that's enough iAnything for this little fat duck. :laugh:

The iPhone and iPad are overpriced IMO, my Wildfire and Mytab can do everything I put to it at a fraction of the cost, plus I can upgrade a lot easier if I so desire - I proved that by rooting my Dreambook.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #5

• 18,475 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

I am planning to get an Android tablet but for me, now is still not the time to buy one, because the products currently on sale all have some flaws.

I'd say every product has its flaws, I'd be looking for the best price for the features you want out of it.
For example, the Mytab, for only $99, does everything I ask of it - wifi, 3G, Twitter, Facebook, MS, Words with Friends - no qualms.

The big flaw is the carriers - if a new upgrade comes along, you have to hope like hell your carrier gets it to you quickly. I waited for Telstra to get around to upgrading the Wildfire from 2.1 to 2.2, and they finally did that a few months ago. Optus released the 2.1 to 2.2 upgrade for Mytab around April. Of course, you can circumvent that by rooting, and that's not always recommended if you don't know how to do it.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #6

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

You can stick both your Androids and your iApples as far as I'm concerned.My Sony Ericsson keeps me happy thanks. :cloudnine:
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong

OFFLINE   Swanny #7

• Retired Admin

• 4,294 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

My ex had the HTC Desire HD, and I do admit that I was quite jealous of some of the features the Android OS had (widgets for instance). But hey, nothing wrong with a bit of healthy iPhone vs. Android competition :P.

But overall I think the lack of simplicity of using the phone was the big turn off for me, and the battery life (though that could easily be a HTC-only matter).

OFFLINE   Big Dan #8

• 18,475 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

I've found battery life to be an issue with a lot of phones I've had. I carry three portable chargers, two for the phone/tablet/iPod and one for the iPod specifically, for that reason. I also carry AA and AAA batteries for other devices as well.

I don't reckon it's a HTC-specific issue though. The MyTab has decent battery life, only had to charge it once in two days.

OFFLINE   Moe #9

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

I'm a fairly happy android user - but the touch only interface isn't for me. I've decided I'll be going for a phone with a keyboard next upgrade after trying out all the current major touch only options. Nokia have my money if the E6 is out by September. Otherwise I might settle for one of the few Andriods in that sort of form factor, the Huawei U8300 for example - it might be a cheap phone with bad hardware, but I'm sick of touch keyboards and the sideways sliders need two hands (which sucks for a phone).

OFFLINE   Aslan #10

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

I bought the recently released Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v which runs Honeycomb (the latest version of Android). I think it's great and well worth the investment. My understanding is this version of the tablet will be on sale for 3 months then taken off with a lesser version minus the camera and a few other functions but including expandable memory (the current one has 16GB internal memory only) will be released in the second quarter.

Android overall is so much better than the apple interface, honeycomb is anyway.

Attached Files

Edited by Aslan, 10 June 2011 - 09:31 PM.

Do that sexy thing you do with your tongue. Yeah. Talk intelligently and at length. Reow

OFFLINE   Aslan #11

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

I'm a fairly happy android user - but the touch only interface isn't for me. I've decided I'll be going for a phone with a keyboard next upgrade after trying out all the current major touch only options. Nokia have my money if the E6 is out by September. Otherwise I might settle for one of the few Andriods in that sort of form factor, the Huawei U8300 for example - it might be a cheap phone with bad hardware, but I'm sick of touch keyboards and the sideways sliders need two hands (which sucks for a phone).

Apparently a new phone will be released in the second quarter running honeycomb. Might be worth a look in.

Edited by Aslan, 10 June 2011 - 09:31 PM.

Do that sexy thing you do with your tongue. Yeah. Talk intelligently and at length. Reow

OFFLINE   Moe #12

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

Apparently a new phone will be released in the second quarter running honeycomb. Might be worth a look in.

There's a lot of nice phones in the style I want, but most are US exclusive, with many of those being CDMA. I'm really wanting to stick to phones offered by local carriers, or at least locally outright/prepaid.

Motorola Charm and the Samsung Galaxy Pro come to mind as major brand options in the right form factor that just don't make the trip over here.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #13

• 18,475 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

I bought the recently released Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v which runs Honeycomb (the latest version of Android). I think it's great and well worth the investment. My understanding is this version of the tablet will be on sale for 3 months then taken off with a lesser version minus the camera and a few other functions but including expandable memory (the current one has 16GB internal memory only) will be released in the second quarter.

That bit I don't understand, if it's true...take a full-featured tablet off the market and then replace it with a half-arsed version? That's nuts.

OFFLINE   Aslan #14

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

There's a lot of nice phones in the style I want, but most are US exclusive, with many of those being CDMA. I'm really wanting to stick to phones offered by local carriers, or at least locally outright/prepaid.

Motorola Charm and the Samsung Galaxy Pro come to mind as major brand options in the right form factor that just don't make the trip over here.

It's my understanding that the Charm will be released here in the not too distant future.

You could always wait for the iPhone 5

That bit I don't understand, if it's true...take a full-featured tablet off the market and then replace it with a half-arsed version? That's nuts.

I agree with you. .

Edited by Aslan, 10 June 2011 - 09:40 PM.

OFFLINE   Moe #15

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

You could always wait for the iPhone 5

I somehow doubt that will have a qwerty keypad.

OFFLINE   jezza #16

• Chief Administrator

• 683 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Just got myself a HTC Desire S.........my first trip into the HTC/Android world and Im not going back! :D
Apple lovers.....eat your bloody hearts(or should I say cores) out! :duck:

Chief Administrator

Media Spy

www.mediaspy.org

jezza@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   ADstv #17

• 1,549 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

I myself have got a HTC Desire HD. Got the international one which after adding my 3G settings and the Optus app it runs awesome. Just upgraded to Gingerbread the other day. The icon layout on iOS gets boring fast... its great having widgets and of course Live Wallpapers.
[ads]tv 5 YEARS ... 2007-2012

OFFLINE   Aslan #18

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

I myself have got a HTC Desire HD. Got the international one which after adding my 3G settings and the Optus app it runs awesome. Just upgraded to Gingerbread the other day. The icon layout on iOS gets boring fast... its great having widgets and of course Live Wallpapers.

Can you not upgrade to HoneyComb which is the latest ??

Looking forward to seeing what they come up with for ice-cream when it is released.

OFFLINE   Squee! #19

• Forum Moderator

• 10,964 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

the thread byline isn't quite accurate... xD
Android isn't far off from been the #1 Mobile OS in Australia.. it already is in the US.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #20

• 18,475 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:44 PM

So it should be - greater diversity of devices, greater portability between devices, and greater possibilities. Steve can kiss my flabby arse. :laugh: