Ten Network 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
834 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   TENFAN #1

• 1,353 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

TEN today announced they will be holding their 2012 "reveal" earlier than ever before, with the 2012 year "locked in" with new and returning product. The program launch will take place on August 17.

Just putting two and two together, earlier this year TEN announced a

Brand rejuvenation expected after August.

I wonder if these two events will be combined, or if the later is just a figure of speech?

And I wonder what the new product will be? Discuss :)

Edited by TENFAN, 25 July 2011 - 03:56 PM.

OFFLINE   InTheWild #2

• 4,275 posts since
  • March 2008

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

Last year they promised a new Aussie drama (well... kinda promised) and a new shiny floor talent show in Don't Stop Believing.... and the point of these "reveals" is....

OFFLINE   kevizz #3

• 4,837 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

My source from inside Ten has given me a sneak peak at this brand rejuvenation, very exciting stuff. You can have a look here.

In all seriousness, I'd expect a comprehensive brand overhaul to coincide with the general aim of positioning Ten as a competitor to Nine and Seven. They've hinted at it often enough. I just really hope they hire someone else to do it, or it may well end up like the image I linked to above...

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #4

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,656 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

Next year will be the first time since 2001 that Ten has no major local sport to telecast after it walked away from bidding for 2012-2016 AFL broadcast rights. It definitely needs a stronger line up of programs and blockbuster movies to get through winter, particularly when MasterChef could come up against The Block once more, during the colder months.

Edited by Johnson28, 25 July 2011 - 04:48 PM.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #5

• Forum Administrator

• 11,453 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

In all seriousness, I'd expect a comprehensive brand overhaul to coincide with the general aim of positioning Ten as a competitor to Nine and Seven.

Wasn't that meant to be this year?

But anyway Ten's idea of 'brand overhaul' is to just find another way to use flat yellow, black and white captions with a Channel 10 personality pressing a 'button' on the screen...

You know, the sort of stuff they started back in 2002.... :mischievous:

OFFLINE   Aslan #6

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

New from the US:

20th Century Fox (joint deal with Foxtel)
- The Playboy Club
- Awake
- Terra Nova
- Apartment 23
- The Finder
- The New Girl
- Allen Gregory
- Napolean Dynamite
- Touch
- Last Man Standing
- Regular Einstein

CBS Productions (definetly going to Ten)
- A Gifted Man
- The 2-2 (formerly The Rookies)
- How to be a Gentleman
- Unforgettable (formerly The Rememberer)

Not sure
- The Firm (Nine or Ten)

New Australian

- Bikie Wars: Brothers in Arms

Returning:

Almost definetly
- Offspring
- The Biggest Loser
- MasterChef
- Talkin' 'bout Your Generation
- NCIS
- Glee
- NCIS: Los-Angeles
- Law and Order: Special Victims Unit
- The Good Wife
- Hawaii 5.0
- Merlin
- Modern Family
- Bondi Rescue
- Bondi Vet
- The Circle
- The 7pm Project.

Not sure:
- House
- Recruits (yet to air new batch of episodes announced last year)
- Junior MasterChef (yet to air this year)
- Rush (yet to air this year, depends on numbers)
- The Renovators (too early to call)
- Can of Worms (too early to call)
- Good News Week
- Undercover Boss: Australia (apparently there are still new eps to air, depends on numbers from there)
- 6:30 w George Negus
- Class Of (has been produced, yet to air. Depends on numbers from there)
- Keeping Up with the Joneses(last I heard there were still new episodes to air)

Edited by Aslan, 25 July 2011 - 05:42 PM.

Do that sexy thing you do with your tongue. Yeah. Talk intelligently and at length. Reow

OFFLINE   Mr. J #7

• 9,326 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

I'd say joneses has been axed, the remaining episodes of season 1 are very old now it would be difficult to get the cast back together.

is Class Of going ahead? any word on it going into production? surely if it isn't yet it isn't looking good for it.

Last year the FOX distribution annoucement was Aug 11, these "revals" will probably coincide

Edited by Jerome, 25 July 2011 - 07:11 PM.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #8

• Forum Administrator

• 11,453 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

Hopefully there will be a new drama of some sort... Offspring would be the only certainty given it's been given the go ahead for a third series.

Rush was barely hanging in there last series... as good as the show is, it will be lucky to see 2012 I reckon.

And it needs drama content... it's not going to meet its quota for 2011 so it needs to at least appear to rectify the situation in 2012 surely.

OFFLINE   turdall #9

• 9,347 posts since
  • March 2008

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

Ten obviously have their Bikie Wars mini series. But I think they need atleast one more drama and possibly two.

OFFLINE   MillerT1 #10

• 1,320 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

Apparently production on Class Of started about a week ago.

OFFLINE   C92 #11

• 1,673 posts since
  • August 2008

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

My source from inside Ten has given me a sneak peak at this brand rejuvenation, very exciting stuff. You can have a look here.

Isn't that design from around 2008?
I. Like. That.

OFFLINE   Aslan #12

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

Isn't that design from around 2008?

Sarcasm C92
Do that sexy thing you do with your tongue. Yeah. Talk intelligently and at length. Reow

OFFLINE   Ryan #13

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,176 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

LOL

Brilliant. Best laugh I've had all day.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Swanny #14

• Retired Admin

• 4,351 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

Not sure:
- House

House has been confirmed for an eighth, and possibly final, season.

Sad when you see all this new US product yet only one new Aussie drama. They should be doing so much better.

OFFLINE   Aslan #15

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

House has been confirmed for an eighth, and possibly final, season.

Oh, I'm aware of that. Not sure if Ten will use it on the main channel as it performed rather poorly for some time now.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #16

• News Contributor

• 4,497 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

What is the point of a product launch in bloody August? Is it because their ratings look absolutely horrendous once 'MC' is over? :tongue:

But seriously, wouldn't it be wiser to give production houses a few extra months to produce content or concepts for the network to launch? How do you even start selling advertising space (the point of a product launch, I would assume) when there's still 12-14 weeks of the ratings season left?

Edited by racerboi25, 25 July 2011 - 09:57 PM.

OFFLINE   kevizz #17

• 4,837 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:49 PM

What is the point of a product launch in bloody August? Is it because their ratings look absolutely horrendous once 'MC' is over? :tongue:

But seriously, wouldn't it be wiser to give production houses a few extra months to produce content or concepts for the network to launch? How do you even start selling advertising space (the point of a product launch, I would assume) when there's still 12-14 weeks of the ratings season left?

According to the AdNews article (which I assume this thread is based on), it's "part of a strategy to grab a larger share of the ad market":

Ten will officially launch 2012's line-up on August 17 – almost one month ahead of last year’s September 17 launch and nearly two months ahead of 2010 and '09's launches.

While last year’s attempt to move launch dates forward coincided with the Commonwealth Games, a Ten spokeswoman has told AdNews this time round the network was simply ready early.

“There are all schools of thought on the matter but what it comes down to, for us, is that we have the right mix of programs already in the bag and we want to be proactive about getting them out there into the market,” the spokeswoman said.

AdNews - Ten pulls forward program launch

Edited by kevizz, 25 July 2011 - 10:52 PM.

OFFLINE   Mr. J #18

• 9,326 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:16 PM

Ten obviously have their Bikie Wars mini series. But I think they need atleast one more drama and possibly two.

I'd say they definitely need 2 new full length dramas maybe 3 in addition to the bikie show ( which I question if it will ever happen). This year they only have 26 hours of drama which is hopeless considering 9 has about 3 times that and 7 has around 6 times as much.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #19

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,656 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:51 PM

Another question will be: how will Ten fill six hours of primetime each Saturday during the ratings season? Will Before the Game survive?

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #20

• Forum Administrator

• 11,453 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:25 AM

Will Before the Game survive?

There was some speculation that BTG may go to Seven but it was up to negotiation between Seven and Roving Enterprises - and AFAIK there's been none so far.

But for all we know the program is probably cheap enough that Ten might choose to hang onto it, as Nine has proven you don't have to be an AFL rights holder to have successful football-themed entertainment shows.