Excess Baggage

Coming to 9 in 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
229 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Gus #181

• 61 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

I think the writers here at Media Spy have forgotten what the word 'casualty' means. The show will still be around, just on another channel. Therefore, it is not a casualty!

Yes you're right - perhaps 15-20million dollar disaster would be a better descriptor????

ONLINE   newtaste #182

• News Contributor

• 5,258 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

EB isn't locked in for Go! Could be moving to a late night slot on Nine.

According to the GO! EPG it is on.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #183

• Forum Moderator

• 3,686 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

According to the GO! EPG it is on.

It is now. Earlier today there were indications to those involved with the production that it would remain on Nine but in a later slot. Downgrading the show to a secondary channel would involve too much of a loss of face. I guess they decided shifting it out of prime time was just as big a loss of face.

Edited by NewsWeary, 07 February 2012 - 10:02 PM.

OFFLINE   CJM #184

• 2,802 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

It is now. Earlier today there were indications to those involved with the production that it would remain on Nine but in a later slot. Downgrading the show to a secondary channel would involve too much of a loss of face. I guess they decided shifting it out of prime time was just as big a loss of face.

Not just a loss of face, but moving to a digital channel will be a huge issue for advertisers and sponsors.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #185

• Forum Administrator

• 11,426 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I think the writers here at Media Spy have forgotten what the word 'casualty' means. The show will still be around, just on another channel. Therefore, it is not a casualty!

"casualty" doesn't necessarily mean fatal. But moving a big prime-time hopeful to a niche digital channel where its impact will be even more miniscule is certainly a severe injury for a show like that to sustain.

OFFLINE   go_russ_go #186

• 1,019 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

In the immortal words of Fonzie; I was wr-wr-wr-wr ...
9 drops the ball badly. They should have just programmed more comedy repeats. Spectactular implosion. We all knew this was a bad show before it even started but I for one assumed that there might have been an audience for it in the same way there is an audience for all other dodgy reality slop 9 serves up (that's what the 9 execs obviosly thought - remember local TV is one of the few industries where new products are released without any market testing at all. Just "gut" feeling). The attempt to kill 10's strip shows may prove to be an own goal in the long run.
I have asked this before - how do the 9 programmers keep their jobs? The answer is obviously by flogging things like TBBT, Gordon ramsay, 2.5 Men, CSI Minneapolis and Top Gear. What's next for the overkill button? Sadly, they have nothing left except some unproven sitcoms.
Sorry - off topic and ramlbing ...

OFFLINE   Insert Username #187

• 9 posts since
  • February 2012

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

TBBT would have been their first choice for the 7pm slot anyway, considering it beat both the tennis and the TBL debut on the same night and it's a much similar demo to H&A.
It's a pyrrhic victory for Ch10.

OFFLINE   seanie #188

• 2,444 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

This is Nine's third major flop in the genre following Celebrity Overhaul and Big. I wonder if they've learnt yet.

A very embarrassing start to the year. Atleast they had the common sense to dump it before it got any worse, and not wait for it to "bed in" and "grow an audience" a la The Renovators.

Edited by seanie, 08 February 2012 - 10:36 AM.

OFFLINE   Squee! #189

• Forum Moderator

• 11,092 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hopefully this is the final time they try a weight loss show as they've completely wrecked it every single time.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #190

• Forum Moderator

• 3,686 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Ajay Rochester has thrown a hissy fit on her blog. She doesn't want to Go!

http://findingmymojo...ave-some-balls/

Edited by NewsWeary, 08 February 2012 - 08:57 PM.

OFFLINE   Squee! #191

• Forum Moderator

• 11,092 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ugh. She's had enough TV exposure on the early (successful) seasons of TBL that she doesn't have the right to whinge.

OFFLINE   Wasp & Bee #192

• 188 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Silly old Ajay... she should have known there was a strong possibility of it being flicked given Nine's lack of tolerance for under-performing shows. Half a million viewers in the 7PM primary channel timeslot is totally unacceptable in anyone's language. As for her comment that it's a "grower not a shower" I'm not sure that it was going to grow much considering the huge drop after the first week.

OFFLINE   Mr. J #193

• 9,309 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

A very embarrassing start to the year. Atleast they had the common sense to dump it before it got any worse, and not wait for it to "bed in" and "grow an audience" a la The Renovators.

9s start to the year is only going to get worse. The next issue is going to be Alcatraz. 9 obviously have high hopes for it looking at the amount of ads they are airing for it. If US ratings are anything to go by it is not going to work.

OFFLINE   Matt_Melb #194

• Formerly Mike.S

• 10,171 posts since
  • August 2011

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ajay speaking out like she is the host of the show.She hasnt got it into her tiny brain yet that her tv career was over a few years ago ,she probably thought this show would help her get her career back :rolleyes:

OFFLINE   feralflea #195

• 1,495 posts since
  • January 2012

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

It's pleasing to see this derivitive hybrid deservedly cop it in the neck.

Now, the next step in the process is for viewers to stop supporting endless repeats of the wretched Big Bang Theory which will air in Excess Baggage's place. Nine will never learn to do something positive if we reward them by watching TBBT, yet again.

Edited by feralflea, 09 February 2012 - 06:32 PM.

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #196

• 3,433 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yep. People have to stop accepting all the crap Nine offers. I bet they will try and do a Channel Seven and promote the crap out a new wave of reality and crap US sitcoms during the Olympics too. Does Nine make one good program?

OFFLINE   InTheWild #197

• 4,267 posts since
  • March 2008

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Yep. People have to stop accepting all the crap Nine offers. I bet they will try and do a Channel Seven and promote the crap out a new wave of reality and crap US sitcoms during the Olympics too. Does Nine make one good program?

What Excess Baggage has proven is even with hige scale promotion campaign, there is no guarantee of ratings.

OFFLINE   jimbo #198

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

Does Nine make one good program?

Well your definition of 'good' would be everything on the ABC and SBS wouldnt it? :P

Others definition of good would include The Block as over 2 million people watched that ;)

OFFLINE   J Bar #199

• 15,025 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

Well your definition of 'good' would be everything on the ABC and SBS wouldnt it? :P

Others definition of good would include The Block as over 2 million people watched that ;)

There's a big difference between "good" and "popular". :tongue:
J Bar

OFFLINE   jimbo #200

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

There's a big difference between "good" and "popular". :tongue:

All up to the individual