Changes to Ratings - November 2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
124 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   bacco007 #1

• Deputy Chief Administrator

• 9,164 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Media Spy has come to an agreement with OzTAM allowing us to resume posting ratings information both here on the forums and through The Spy Report.

Commencing from Monday 7th November 2011, the following ratings data will be available
  • Nightly Shares (18:00 to 24:00)
    • Aggregate figure (5 capital cities)
  • Top 20 Program rankings
    • All Free to Air Channels - 5 Cap Cities and Aggregate figures
    • All Free to Air Digital Multichannels - 5 Cap Cities and Aggregate figures
    • National Subscription Channels - National figure
  • Top 5 Shows for the 16-39, 18-49 and 25-54 demographics
    • All Free to Air Channels - 5 Cap Cities and Aggregate figures
    • All Free to Air Digital Multichannels - 5 Cap Cities and Aggregate figures
    • National Subscription Channels - National figure
  • Top 20 Timeshifted Program rankings
    • Free to Air and Subscription - Aggregate figure (5 capital cities)
The agreement we have signed limits us to using only this information, supplied directly from OzTAM - this will be the limit of what can be posted on the forums. This may be supplimented by information posted on The Spy Report in a method approved by OzTAM and members of the TSR writing team.

Our ratings archive will be made available as a sub-forum of the new ratings forum - all archive threads shall be locked, not allowing further discussion.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #2

• News Contributor

• 4,489 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

Great to see this outcome Bacco, well done on your work with OzTAM in negotiating this deal.

I know many MS' will be a bit disappointed that numbers-based discussion of lower-rated programs is now off limits, but I'm glad we've got the ratings forum back!

Side Note: With end of year pressers coming from all the major networks, will discussion of these figures be allowed at all? Eg. "Seven secured x% of A18-49 in 2011, Nine y%, Ten z%. Seven improved by x amount, Nine slid by y amount, Ten slid by z amount" etc.

OFFLINE   Mark #3

• 16,087 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

just further to the above, the daily shares, Top 20 Freeview and Top 20 Multichannels are emailed to us around 9am, the Top 20 Subscription TV around 10am.... so when there's a Spy Reporter or Mod around (we all get the email)... it will be on site ASAP.

In the past couple of weeks the emails have been sent to other sites like mine around 10.30am, but we've requested, and it's been agreed to, that it be sent around 9am :)

OFFLINE   bacco007 #4

• 9,164 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

Side Note: With end of year pressers coming from all the major networks, will discussion of these figures be allowed at all? Eg. "Seven secured x% of A18-49 in 2011, Nine y%, Ten z%. Seven improved by x amount, Nine slid by y amount, Ten slid by z amount" etc.

I believe it depends on how it is to be presented I believe, we will cross that bridge when it comes!

OFFLINE   jimbo #5

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

what about ratings predictions? dead?

OFFLINE   Bass #6

• 1,381 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

Congrats on this outcome, well done to all :)
Brand new website now up ---> www.interactive-productions.com.au

OFFLINE   WAtv #7

• 2,785 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

so the same info which is available to Tv Central
will be available to all at media spy
WaTv

OFFLINE   bacco007 #8

• 9,164 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

what about ratings predictions? dead?

It is hard to give a definitive answer - while predictions shouldn't pose a problem, if the show fails to make the top 20 (or top 5 in the demos) it will be difficult to report the rating.

For the moment, the ratings compeititon will be sidelined.

OFFLINE   bacco007 #9

• 9,164 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

so the same info which is available to Tv Central
will be available to all at media spy

We are bound by the same agreement that other sites (including TV Tonight and Molks TV Talk) are.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #10

• 19,994 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

We are bound by the same agreement that other sites (including TV Tonight and Molks TV Talk) are.

So all that 'negotiating' and you still ended up with the same deal as everyone else? The top 5 demographic performers is useless really.
Can the normal predictions thread return?

OFFLINE   bacco007 #11

• 9,164 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

So all that 'negotiating' and you still ended up with the same deal as everyone else? The top 5 demographic performers is useless really.

The data that we receive was never up for negotiation, the agreement also covers how the information we are given can be used - there were specific issues related around making the information available in the forums and our historic data that we needed to sort out.

Can the normal predictions thread return?

It will be considered

OFFLINE   seanie #12

• 2,444 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Something I'm still not clear on is whether forum discussion regarding programmes which fall outside the lists mentioned above is acceptable. As I understand they cannot be listed, but can they be mentioned in an editorialised form on the forums, or is that restricted to The Spy Report?

OFFLINE   Mark #13

• 16,087 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

trust me, it was a lot less than that until a few days ago - I think they were surprised with the amount of pressure all sites put on them and they had to have a bit of a rethink.

OFFLINE   ryno #14

• 473 posts since
  • December 2009

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

thanks to everyone involed for their hard work in making this possable
life throws you curve balls its how u deal with it that matters

OFFLINE   ryaneco #15

• 2,896 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

Yes good to see it back!!

If a network like Ten/Nine/Seven send out a press release is this information allowed to be posted on the forum? i.e. TEN sends a press release stating The Project was xxx can that be then posted in the forums as it was supplied by the network and not oztam?

OFFLINE   Mark #16

• 16,087 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

Yes good to see it back!!

If a network like Ten/Nine/Seven send out a press release is this information allowed to be posted on the forum? i.e. TEN sends a press release stating The Project was xxx can that be then posted in the forums as it was supplied by the network and not oztam?

nope.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #17

• 19,994 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

Oztam clearly have nothing better to do than bother online forums. Since when can you copyright facts?

ONLINE   TJ. #18

• Site Administrator

• 10,720 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

Since when can you copyright facts?

When you own them.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #19

• 19,994 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

When you own them.

Mmm, I dunno. I'm sure you can own the methodology of how you reached that conclusion, how you present that information, but how do you own the fact that 1.2 million people watched Today Tonight?

OFFLINE   Squee! #20

• Forum Moderator

• 10,927 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

They found that out through their equipment that they bought and gave out to households to record data back to them.
Therefore they own that information.