HD broadcasting

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #61

• 20,034 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

When is the requirement for HD broadcasting going to be removed? Why is it being removed anyway, when there clearly was a direction for HD as part of the digital conversion?

OFFLINE   Moe #62

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

HD was a means to an end for the existing 3 commercial broadcasters. If they didn't agree to HD, Nine's staunch opposition to SD Multichanneling (at the time) would likely have resulted in the commercial networks all being multiplexed together, rather than given a full extra channel each to do the digital simulcast.

The networks were trying to make a land grab for as much spectrum in order to shut out competition (same thing is happening with Digital Radio - choose technologies that allow them to block off as much spectrum and block out new competitors), so doing HD was a good way of ensuring each network could use up the spectrum, even if multichanneling wasn't an option at the time. Now, the success of multichannels serves the purpose HD did in making sure that the networks aren't having spectrum removed from them as part of the digital dividend. Rather, they will use it as grounds to try and grab more.

I think 2014 will be a year of experimentation from the networks, we might see the first failed multichannels - as they all try and figure out the exact balance of channels and programming without the legislative limits.

The HD requirement ends once the networks meet their HD quota (of 1040 hours a year) in 2013. That has the most impact for the ABC who could then easily chose to make News 24 SD immediately upon it no longer needing to serve the HD quota requirement. The other networks are stuck until 2014 because there's still a 2 SD + 1 HD limit in place until the end of the simulcast period.

Digital regulation is currently being reviewed, the future of HD broadcasting will be part of that - but I can't imagine the current situation of a HD quota continuing.

OFFLINE   stefdela #63

• 4 posts since
  • October 2011

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

I am moving to your beautiful country soon , am i right in thinking you don`t do HD :laugh: kidding aside,are your main channels not in HD.over here in scotland i can get both your grand finals (NRL AFL) & The State Of Origin in Hd.Is there any chance this is going to change soon.

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #64

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

I am moving to your beautiful country soon , am i right in thinking you don`t do HD :laugh: kidding aside,are your main channels not in HD.over here in scotland i can get both your grand finals (NRL AFL) & The State Of Origin in Hd.Is there any chance this is going to change soon.

There are 29 HD networks in Australia (5 Free to air, 24 pay) but you are right the 4 most watched networks (ABC1, Seven, Nine & Ten) do not broadcast in HD.

This is because they see more benefit and ad revenue in broadcasting an extra network (7mate, Gem, One, ABC NEws 24) on their HD frequency, rather than silmicasting their main network in HD.

Each TV station licence in Oz is allowed to broadcast three individual networks/channels. There is generally space on their spectrum for 2 SD and 1 HD.

So for example, Nine Entertainment Co can have 2 SD and 1 HD channel. And rather than have Go! SD, Nine SD and Nine HD - they have elected to have Go! SD, Nine SD and Gem HD.

If Nine was moved to the HD frequency, households & TVs in Oz that are SD only, would not be able to get Nine. And then ratings and revenue would go down.

Edited by KICK-IT, 26 March 2012 - 08:34 AM.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #65

• 18,538 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

The only way it will change is if the broadcasting model changes so the main channel is in HD and the sub channels are in SD. But there's about as much chance of that happening as me getting a three way with Miranda Kerr and Jennifer Hawkins in between a Newcastle Jets/Newcastle Knights grand final double header at ANZ Stadium on a mound of $100 bills. :laugh:
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   stefdela #66

• 4 posts since
  • October 2011

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for your replies Big Dan & KICK-IT,maybe one day you will move into 21st century :laugh:. Big Dan you might get your three way,but a Newcastle Jets/Newcastle Knights grand final double header at ANZ Stadium :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . any way thanks for your help,now to sought out broadband speeds in Australia :angry: p.s i do love your country

OFFLINE   WAtv #67

• 2,886 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Are we likely to see the prime channels all become the HD channel in the next couple of years ?
WaTv

ONLINE   Squee! #68

• Forum Moderator

• 11,039 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Doubtful, TV networks would be too scared of losing viewers from people that have SD STBs.
Couple years after the switchover? maybe

OFFLINE   Alan Cramer #69

• 467 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

If Nine was moved to the HD frequency, households & TVs in Oz that are SD only, would not be able to get Nine. And then ratings and revenue would go down.

Don't think it would make too much of a difference...nobody watches nine anyway :P

OFFLINE   Matlock #70

• News Contributor

• 6,105 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

I thiink that the primaries will have HD similcasts soon, and three SD channels (Nine, GO!, GEM). That's once the bandwidth is avaliable.

OFFLINE   Moe #71

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

I thiink that the primaries will have HD similcasts soon, and three SD channels (Nine, GO!, GEM). That's once the bandwidth is avaliable.

There's no new bandwidth when analogue turns off. Don't be surprised if the HD channel is switched off to allow more SD ones.

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #72

• News Contributor

• 10,783 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

There's no new bandwidth when analogue turns off. Don't be surprised if the HD channel is switched off to allow more SD ones.

I unfortunately agree. Considering what the commercials have done with the spectrum they have, when the HD broadcasting is no longer mandated by regulation, I think they will turn the spectrum now used by 1,73 and 99 into more SD channels (3 would be possible at a stretch). So excluding 74 and 94, there could be 18 commerical 'channels' as part of Freeview to comete against Foxtel plus how ever many ABC and SBS can afford.

OFFLINE   Mr. J #73

• 9,252 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

The way i see it is the best realistic case scenario for HD is 2014/15 the HD penetration is high enough that 7mate, gem, one go to SD. And the main channels go to HD.

The networks don't have much reason to do anything about it. Do people really not watch stuff because it is in SD.

OFFLINE   Matlock #74

• News Contributor

• 6,105 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

While us here at Mediaspy might be outraged at the lack of HD content or sport, to the average viewer it isn't a priority nor a big difference. People have watched sport in grainy analouge SD for decades.

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #75

• News Contributor

• 10,783 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

While us here at Mediaspy might be outraged at the lack of HD content or sport, to the average viewer it isn't a priority nor a big difference. People have watched sport in grainy analouge SD for decades.

Unfortunate but true; however I feel the lack of HD is contributing to the fall off in viewer numbers. A few lost to downloads, a sizeable group lost to Foxtel, another group waiting for the Blu-ray and each bit contributes to a loss in viewer satisfaction with FTA and decline in viewers. I think it also has a bigger affect in reducing numbers in the groups that advertisers like.

OFFLINE   Matlock #76

• News Contributor

• 6,105 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Unfortunate but true; however I feel the lack of HD is contributing to the fall off in viewer numbers.

Haven't audiences grown thanks to the multichannels? I guess advertisers would have to pay a premium to advertise in HD though..

OFFLINE   bambbbam #77

• 4,098 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Unfortunate but true; however I feel the lack of HD is contributing to the fall off in viewer numbers..

The FTAs have made a commercial decision to show complete rubbish on their HD channels.. I think you are right though, FTA is dead in the long run anyway. Improving picture quality may slow (but not stem) the tide.

ONLINE   Squee! #78

• Forum Moderator

• 11,039 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

considering theirs so much of the public that don't realise when they're on Analog or Digital on a TV that still has both tuned in, then the networks don't really care.
The people sulking about a lack of HD are a small minority.

ONLINE   The Sifon #79

• 5,772 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Perfectably explainable, but completely stupid scheduling.

Canadian F1 Grand Prix

Qualifying Live on Ten (SD) and One (HD)
Main race Live on Ten (SD) :rolleyes:

Famine sticken Niger and all of Africa (except Somalia) get everything live in HD. :yell:

OFFLINE   Moe #80

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Perfectably explainable, but completely stupid scheduling.

Canadian F1 Grand Prix

Qualifying Live on Ten (SD) and One (HD)
Main race Live on Ten (SD) :rolleyes:

Famine sticken Niger and all of Africa (except Somalia) get everything live in HD. :yell:

Not to mention most viewers will end up watching a the repeat on One anyway because of the timeslot.

Ten should just start using a 'Ten Sport' watermark on One HD coverage, it shouldn't matter what channel it is actually on as long as 'Ten' gets the promotion from the highlights on other networks out of it.