TWiT Netcast Network

leo laporte podcast this week in tech

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Big Dan #1

• 18,780 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Anyone been following the "revelations" regarding TWiT founder Leo Laporte and his accidental leaking of a sex text between him and his girlfriend/TWiT CEO Liza Kentzell?

http://gawker.com/58...is-own-sex-chat

Anyone listen to any of the TWiT shows?
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Moe #2

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

I occasionally check in, I wish the channel was much more polished; the reairings leave in way too much off-show content. If I could switch on the TWiT live stream and get a 10-15 minute tech news update on the hour, and there were regular and consistently timed programs lined up, it would be a much better experience than it is currently.

The model for online tech really is The Verge, the On The Verge specials are about the only online program I've seen that matches the production values of traditional TV, though the Vergecast has the same problems with polish that TWiT suffers from.

TWiT is too much radio with pictures - the new studio didn't really help, it should be much more modern and representative of a TV network.

OFFLINE   mal #3

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

Anyone been following the "revelations" regarding TWiT founder Leo Laporte and his accidental leaking of a sex text between him and his girlfriend/TWiT CEO Liza Kentzell?

http://gawker.com/58...is-own-sex-chat

Anyone listen to any of the TWiT shows?

I listen to quite a lot of Twit, not so much the live stream but audio podcasts.

Here is Leo's response to the article you posted, taken from his blog at leoville.com

I’m at the airport flying back from a lovely Christmas with the family in (bandwidth-challenged) western Massachusetts. Unfortunately, my email is overflowing with questions about the sleazebag article published by Gawker a few days ago. I’ve answered as many as I can, but just in case I missed you, here’s the response I’ve been sending out.

The article (which was later linked to by the Drudge Report and rehashed by the UK Mirror and Mail tabloids) insinuated an illicit relationship between the CEO of TWiT, Lisa Kentzell, and me. This revelation which was clearly intended to cut me to the quick was, in fact, as limp as a soggy Christmas cracker.

Had Gawker asked I would have told them that my wife, Jennifer, and I have been amicably separated for nearly a year. (We’re still great friends and have been travelling together this week to visit our daughter in Stockbridge.)

Lisa and I started dating some months ago. I don’t talk about it on the air because, although I prefer to live in public, I don’t ask that of my family and friends. Unfortunately Gawker has decided for them.

The text message between Lisa and me appeared on-screen during the “This Week In Google” show on October 5 for only a very brief moment. I knew it had happened but didn’t bother to edit it out of the video because I didn’t think it mattered. No one would have noticed had not some sharp-eyed viewer freeze-framed the message and enlarged it. TWiT fans are nothing if not obsessive. I keep telling myself that’s a good thing.

It’s not the first time I’ve revealed personal information on the air – my phone number has become public knowledge in much the same way. That’s because I don’t use product loaners for review purposes but prefer to buy and use products like cell phones for extended periods of time to get a better sense of how they work. One side effect of this policy is that all the gear I show on-air is my own, thoroughly used, stuff. When you’re on-the-air live for 20-30 hours a week it’s inevitable some private material leaks through.

I have apologized abjectly and abundantly to Lisa for revealing our relationship and her cell phone number to the public in this way. My family already knew we were together so it was no surprise to them but I’m sure it’s been embarrassing to my children. It may have come as a bit of a shock to our staff. We didn’t chose to bring our romance to work with us.

I find it odd that Gawker has dredged this non-story up nearly three months after the fact. Did Denton and company have an ulterior motive in publishing this hit piece now? Perhaps the last paragraph of the article, which darkly warns of dire consequences with prospective investors (despite the fact that TWiT has never sought investment of any kind), offers a clue. In any event, it’s a shame that Gawker attempted to smear us two days before Christmas. I trust Santa put coal in their stockings.

I hope you all had a very happy holiday, and wish you peace and prosperity in 2012. As always, thank you for your support. There would be no TWiT without you!

OFFLINE   bambbbam #4

• 4,202 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

I've always been a big fan of Leo so like his response.

Windows Weekly & Security Now are among my favourite shows, but like Moe says above sometimes This Week in Tech can get way-off subject and ramble on.

OFFLINE   tvworld #5

• 153 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

I watch Twit almost every day. I could tell on This Week in Twit, in which Leo and Lisa talk about the state of Twit that they we flirting but i didn't think this! I wish the TWiT network would become more on time a 5 minute delay is fine but not 30!

Studio wise, a more modern studio would have been nice!
thetvworld.org/ftvworld

OFFLINE   Big Dan #6

• 18,780 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

TNT host Tom Merritt is to leave the show as of the end of the month, and he doesn't sound too happy about it, according to his FB and Twitter posts.

To be honest though, having your news host in LA and the rest of the crew up north was always going to be a challenge.
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985