The Office Spinoff - 'Schrute Farms'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Ryan #1

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,176 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

NBC is reportedly considering giving the green light to a new 'family comedy' that would feature central The Office character Dwight Schrute working on his farm.

http://www.mediaspy....spinoff-report/
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   ryaneco #2

• 2,956 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Eww. No, No, No, No, No, No, NO!!

OFFLINE   J Bar #3

• 15,075 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

So why is this in the Seven Network forum? Not even an actual show yet, let alone a show picked up by any Aus network.

Shouldn't this be in The Office thread?
J Bar

OFFLINE   Ryan #4

• 12,176 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

Figured it was better in its own thread, and in the Seven forum as they have the output deal currently.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Swanny #5

• Retired Admin

• 4,350 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Interesting idea to say the least. The question will be could the character of Dwight survive without the rest of the Office characters in his own show? A lot of the quality in his character definitely stems from his interaction with Jim and co. in the show.

A spin-off with Dwight would certainly call for the end of The Office though. Losing one major character was enough but the show is still bobbing on OK, two major characters would be hard though.

OFFLINE   AdelaideIsSeven #6

• 542 posts since
  • March 2011

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Interesting idea to say the least. The question will be could the character of Dwight survive without the rest of the Office characters in his own show? A lot of the quality in his character definitely stems from his interaction with Jim and co. in the show.

A spin-off with Dwight would certainly call for the end of The Office though. Losing one major character was enough but the show is still bobbing on OK, two major characters would be hard though.

I'm sure if the show goes ahead I doubt that Seven would pick this up, they will onsell to Foxtel. Seven are not interested in US comedies, after they put first run episodes of 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation (both huge hits in the US) in either midnight timeslots before infomercials, or on Prime7 as filler when they have different programming to Seven.

OFFLINE   Mr. J #7

• 9,324 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

they put first run episodes of 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation (both huge hits in the US)

30 rock is struggling to keep 4th place in its slot on NBC down to 1.3, 0.1 away from coming 5th behind theCW. and P&R isn't doing much better beaten by Wipeout and (the awful) Rob also 4th in its slot.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #8

• News Contributor

• 4,497 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

30 rock is struggling to keep 4th place in its slot on NBC down to 1.3, 0.1 away from coming 5th behind theCW. and P&R isn't doing much better beaten by Wipeout and (the awful) Rob also 4th in its slot.

They could be used in a far better capacity than at 11:30pm on Seven though.

OFFLINE   amir #9

• 522 posts since
  • December 2009

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Not really, you're only mentioning their series lows. They're both hits in the U.S. At least for NBC that is.

OFFLINE   Swanny #10

• Retired Admin

• 4,350 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Every show has to have its lows and will sink after being a hit. Recent axee House is one prime example.

OFFLINE   Mr. J #11

• 9,324 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

They could be used in a far better capacity than at 11:30pm on Seven though.

yes, i was just responding to adelaidesevens comment

Not really, you're only mentioning their series lows. They're both hits in the U.S. At least for NBC that is.

i was mentioning was the most recent episode
http://tvbythenumber...ed-down/118569/
30rock is one of NBCs lowest rating scripted shows a 1.3 is very bad even for NBC.

Every show has to have its lows and will sink after being a hit. Recent axee House is one prime example.

the difference between house and 30rock is that house was rating very well at its peak unlike 30rock which has never done very well, its done better that it is currently but even when is was raking in awards it was always famous for being a show that had critical acclaim but few people watched. and house was still getting almost triple 30rocks ratings when it was axed.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #12

• News Contributor

• 4,497 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

the difference between house and 30rock is that house was rating very well at its peak unlike 30rock which has never done very well, its done better that it is currently but even when is was raking in awards it was always famous for being a show that had critical acclaim but few people watched. and house was still getting almost triple 30rocks ratings when it was axed.

NBC has always been pleased enough by its ratings (bar Season One when it was a complete turkey) to renew it for each season. Its stayed in their medium range and held its own against far more formidable competition such as Grey's and CSI, both of which attracted over 20 million a week previously. Sure, it's never been a House, but its been a star for NBC.

That said, everything has struggled on NBC at 8pm against Big Bang and now Idol.

OFFLINE   amir #13

• 522 posts since
  • December 2009

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

i was mentioning was the most recent episode
http://tvbythenumber...ed-down/118569/
30rock is one of NBCs lowest rating scripted shows a 1.3 is very bad even for NBC.

I'm aware of this, but as I said, the 1.3 was a series low. It's in a death slot up against The Big Bang Theory. It was doing much better last year, and the only reason it isn't this time round is because of its slot. P&R does amazingly considering the numbers its lead-ins have recieved in the past year. There was also a technical problem on NBC last week where it was advertised as a repeat or something, but was actually a new episode, hence the poor ratings. 30 Rock is a huge brand for NBC.

Back on topic though, it really is becoming time to end The Office. I like the idea of Schrute Farms but it needs to distinguish itself from The Office (apart from Dwight's character of course), especially the latest season which is just stale as hell.

Edited by amir, 10 February 2012 - 05:59 PM.

OFFLINE   1169 #14

• 826 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

That 1.3 was the result of incorrect coding in some DVRs if I remember correctly. The estimated real live + same day rating was around 1.5. Still not great but let's get facts straight.

OFFLINE   1169 #15

• 826 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

As for the spinoff, as a fan of The Office, anything related to it can't be a bad thing. If it's crap, so be it, but you never know. Sounds better to me than all of the trash comedies on CBS and ABC (bar Cougar Town and MF). This season has been very below par, but sort of expected. Still good viewing IMO. I still rate it higher than every other comedy on network television not on NBC bar MF. I wonder if Gervais gets royalties if this goes ahead. He must be rolling in it.

Edited by 1169, 10 February 2012 - 06:48 PM.

OFFLINE   Ryan #16

• 12,176 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Let's try to stick to the Schrute Farms topic (as the last post has). Feel free to chat about NBC in general in the US TV threads.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

ONLINE   Squee! #17

• Forum Moderator

• 11,111 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Will show up somewhere on 7Mate for sure. Even more Niche in this market then 30 Rock so no chance it will appear on the main station.