Monday Night Primetime

my kitchen rules excess baggage reality tv trash tv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #1

• 3,433 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Monday evenings. Ugh! I have never switched the channels in prime time to see such garbage up-against garbage. Biggest Loser, My Kitchen Is Full Of Contrived Bitchy-ness, Celebrity Fatties...

Seriously, this is mind-rotting. "Oh when I get home I just want to watch something that’s light and ..". Can people that think that please go and suck a lemon? Can this genre really be what audiences want most? Its not reality, its not creative, its not anything.

Its funny because with the weight loss shows being so popular, do people realise they are watching junk TV? The paradox of many people watching a TV because they too want to lose weight. Perhaps it is tried and tested staple now of what will be successful. Edit a few people into having a personality with some aspirational narrative. Still relatively cheap and counts as Australian content (despite one of them being an American format). Publicise it to death on some of the highest rating tennis (it was subliminally there all day, tennis fans knew that darn catch phrase well in advance of it hitting our screens) and I suppose you have a (ratings) winner. Back to the weight-loss, I hope people realise that losing weight isn’t the only thing you need to make yourself attractive. You might want some personality and interest in the world around you. A diet of this dreck will make you intellectually obese and exercise your mind about as much Up-late With Hotdogs (the show or the pastime).

If anybody wants me, I’m gassing myself in a station-wagon – yeah!

OFFLINE   Swanny #2

• Retired Admin

• 4,295 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

Definitely agree. I saw the Monday night ratings and pretty much gagged at the shows listed in the ratings.

Plain and simple question: what is with this country's obsession with reality? Or well anybody in any country's obsession with reality? I don't get it. It bores me to death.

Really made me miss Monday nights on Ten with Good News Week. Hell, I even miss Good News World. And that was a fuck up and a half.

OFFLINE   Mr. J #3

• 9,185 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

It is still non-ratings, I wouldn't have very high expectations.

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #4

• 6,156 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

IMO, the day of the week where there is nothing on that interests me on TV is generally Saturday Night. I don't expect anything on Saturday to rate over a million, but it seems that the only thing that's on (mainly thinking of the main 3 commercial channels here) are movie reruns. Remember the days when Saturday Night TV was actually worth watching? Well those days are long gone now.

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #5

• 3,433 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Thank goodness for the ABC's Monday night of hard news and current afairs/discussion (comeing back soon) with 7:30, Aus Story, Four Corners, Q and A, Lateline. I dont even need a remote control that night. I await its return.

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #6

• 6,156 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thank goodness for the ABC's Monday night of hard news and current afairs/discussion (coming back soon) with 7:30, Aus Story, Four Corners, Q and A, Lateline. I dont even need a remote control that night. I await its return.

What about Media Watch? Can't forget that, that's the best bit IMHO! :)

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #7

• 3,433 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Yes I forgot, Media watch is unmissable.

OFFLINE   Ryan #8

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,147 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

Retter should be writing our ratings editorials..
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   jimbo #9

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Retter should be writing our ratings editorials..

Sounds like you need someone badly the amount you are pushing for a volunteer via facebook lol. Clearly no one can be bothered.

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #10

• 3,433 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Sounds like you need someone badly the amount you are pushing for a volunteer via facebook lol. Clearly no one can be bothered.

Though probably not so desperate to have Jimbo...

OFFLINE   Ryan #11

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,147 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

We're well aware that its not something that you could be bothered with, jimbo, but we keep 'pushing for a volunteer' because the ads have resulted in a great batch of new recruits lately. Extra hands on deck just mean that more stories are covered.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #12

• 3,433 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

I wonder if this schedule will stay in place for long. I have a suspicion that one or more of the programs will perform poorly in ratings. This really is mediocre stuff.

OFFLINE   jimbo #13

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

We're well aware that its not something that you could be bothered with, jimbo

Haha try to spend my work time doing things in the real world for pay etc., not on an internet forum.

Especially The Spy Report where most news is rehashes of stuff released via the news sites/David Knox! This is not the place I go to for breaking TV news thats for sure. But off topic!

Edited by jimbo, 02 February 2012 - 01:31 AM.

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #14

• 3,433 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I wonder if this schedule will stay in place for long. I have a suspicion that one or more of the programs will perform poorly in ratings. This really is mediocre stuff.

With the recent news of Excess Baggage probably being cut-back if not totally axed, my prediction is looking good.