Shaun micallef Shaun micallef newstopia

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #1

• 3,438 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

According to www.shaunmicallefonline.com :

The show is described as “a half-hour weekly round-up, branding, inoculation and crutching of all the important news stories”. It’s been a few years since Shaun’s been on the ABC. His show Newstopia, which will draw obvious comparisons, aired on SBS from 2007-8.

“So, what’s this show all about? A good question, if I do say so – and it’s exactly that sort of direct, no-nonsense questioning of even myself that’s going to make this show the must-see event television that’s been virtually killed off by Kyle and Jackie O’s A Night with the Stars.” says Shaun Micallef.

OFFLINE   Woody #2

• 21 posts since
  • October 2011

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Oh Shaun, you card

OFFLINE   underarm #3

• 2,198 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

I'm pleased he's returning to this type of program - Your Gen has become tiresome & repetitive.

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #4

• 3,438 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

The original ABC Micallef Program was excellent and I am surprised how well it holds up today as an edgy format-bending comedy.

Newstopia has always struck me as one of the most underrated labors of love. The obscure nature of the comedy included gags with references to Final Cut Pro and early silent cinema (German expressionism). At the same time, its focus on news and current affairs had some of the most spot on satire I have ever seen. The rest of the cast were brilliant too.

OFFLINE   Ryan #5

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,199 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

There's a first time for everything it seems - completely agree with you on Newstopia, Retter.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #6

• 20,067 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

Newstopia was fantastic. The side actors were great, particularly Kat Stewart! Here's hoping Mad as Hell is similar. Who by the way produced Newstopia was it a Micallef creation?

OFFLINE   trinest #7

• 33 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Didn't TEN want to do something like this with Micallef or was that just a rumor?

OFFLINE   Swanny #8

• Retired Admin

• 4,390 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

There was a rumour that his NYE programme was a test for a potential talk show though nothing ever came of it.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #9

• Forum Moderator

• 3,770 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

This "half-hour weekly round-up, branding, inoculation and crutching of all the important news stories” will debut Friday May 25 in the 8pm slot.

OFFLINE   Will732 #10

• 110 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

I really hope that one day down the road we get more Newstopia. But I'm really, really looking forward to this show too. I just love Micallef's brand of humour.

OFFLINE   Ryan #11

• 12,199 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

One man. A desk. The world. Hold onto your socks! Australia’s second favourite funny man is about to return to Aunty with a brand new show that’s guaranteed to blow the lid off an entirely different kettle of fish.

Shaun Micallef’s MAD AS HELL is a half-hour weekly round-up, branding, inoculation and crutching of all the important news stories of the week, and it starts Friday May 25 at 8pm on ABC1.

Along with a like-minded ‘think tank’ of reporters and pundits, Shaun Micallef’s MAD AS HELL offers not only reportage and analysis of the week’s events, but discussion, argument and dissection of what’s making the world turn every which way. It’s a show that knows that if NEWS isn’t NOW it’s NOWHERE.

Shaun Micallef’s MAD AS HELL will also feature an ensemble cast including Francis Greenslade (Winners and Losers, The Micallef P®ogram(me), Talkin’ ‘bout Your Generation), Roz Hammond (Muriel’s Wedding, The Dish, The Librarians, Outland), Veronica Milsom (Hungry Beast, Triple J), Emily Taheny (Comedy Inc., Stupid, Stupid Man, The Chasers War on Everything) and introducing Tosh Greenslade.

So don’t just sit there, get up out of your chairs right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell, “I’m going to watch Shaun Micallef’s MAD AS HELL. Premiering Friday May 25 at 8pm on ABC1”. It’ll save us having to do any promotion.

Remember folks, you’re a human being, goddammit! Your life has value!

Stoked that Francis Greenslade is involved.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   TV Head #12

• 18,616 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Why Friday night? Should be on Comedy night Wednesday.

OFFLINE   J Bar #13

• 15,351 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

Friday is wrong for this show.
J Bar

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #14

• 1,574 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

8pm Friday's where it all started for GNW on Aunty...

Edited by SKaVeN, 26 April 2012 - 02:06 PM.

There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, & those who can't.

OFFLINE   Ryan #15

• 12,199 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

I don't mind Fridays. Gives me something to watch if I'm home.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Qarlo #16

• 859 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

I have no idea what this show is about as I've never bothered to read the synopsis. I'll just automatically be watching as Micallef is in it :laugh:

I do agree that it should be on Wednesdays for others' sakes, but I'll be watching on I-View so it doesn't make any difference for me.

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #17

• 3,438 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

FRIDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely its a wednesday aspiring flagship show?

I guess The Late Shopw started fridays (I think) but I hope they put it on Wednesdays...

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #18

• 1,574 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

If it's a "weekly wrap-up" type programme, I can understand why they selected Friday...
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, & those who can't.

OFFLINE   Swanny #19

• Retired Admin

• 4,390 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

It's better than utter crap going onto Fridays, like most channels seem to schedule on that day.

OFFLINE   Matlock #20

• News Contributor

• 6,272 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Looking forward to this one. Just a reminder it starts this Friday at 8pm.