Best Pubs, Bars, Restaurants and Cafe's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

ONLINE   JackMelbTV #1

• 4,710 posts since
  • February 2011

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Here's are my best Pubs, Bars, Restaurants and Cafe's that i like to go to:

Pub: Young & Jacksons (Melbourne CBD)
Bar: The Leveson (also a restaurant) (North Melbourne)
Restaurant: Royal Hotel Essendon (Essendon)
Cafe: Seasonal (Essendon - Cross the road from Essendon Station) & Degani Bakery Cafe (Moonee Ponds - Puckle Street)

Yours?

Edited by jackie01, 22 February 2012 - 03:04 PM.

OFFLINE   ryaneco #2

• 2,940 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

This is by far my favourite pub that I've been too and its only about 20 mins north on the train from where I live. Stunning location, good food and a really relaxed environment right on the cliffs edge overlooking the ocean

http://www.scarboroughhotel.com.au/

OFFLINE   Matlock #3

• News Contributor

• 6,119 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Nandos.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #4

• News Contributor

• 4,494 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

Cafe - Proud Mary's in Collingwood has amazing coffee and fantastic food. Cannot say enough about that place. See also - Jekyll and Hyde in St Kilda; Birdman Eating in Fitzroy.

Bar/Pub - Big fan of the Rooftop Bar at Curtain House, fantastic spot. BearBrass at Southbank is pretty funky, Cabinet on Swanston St is also not half bad. You could spend years going through all of Melbourne's venues.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #5

• Forum Moderator

• 3,650 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

When in Melbourne I choose to dine at Ice Cafe Prahran.

*May have gone to school with the owner.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #6

• Forum Moderator

• 3,650 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

This is by far my favourite pub that I've been too and its only about 20 mins north on the train from where I live. Stunning location, good food and a really relaxed environment right on the cliffs edge overlooking the ocean

http://www.scarboroughhotel.com.au/

I know it well. Building happens to be owned by WIN Corporation. Pity it closed earlier this month.

OFFLINE   Squee! #7

• Forum Moderator

• 11,047 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Pub... Generous Squire in the Perth CBD is great.
Bar... Frisk in Northbridge is awesome. lovely small space, great coffee in the morning, awesome range of drinks at night.. and board games :)

Theirs is a larger amount of mediocrity (and obscene prices) here in Perth though. Far too many pubs owned by Woolies (ALH) as well, which really homogenises a lot of pubs as they all will practically end up with the same shitty menu.

OFFLINE   Bergoine #8

• 1,372 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:12 AM

Theirs is a larger amount of mediocrity (and obscene prices) here in Perth though. Far too many pubs owned by Woolies (ALH) as well, which really homogenises a lot of pubs as they all will practically end up with the same shitty menu.

Shame about that. Doesn't Coles own a few hotels with a Liquorland annex? I always thought the Greenwood Hotel was decent when I was living over there, are they owned by Woolies?

In Geraldton where the beer is cheaper than Perth, The Freemason's (nothing suspicious) Hotel has a decent menu/entertainment. In Bunbury I like the Parade Hotel.

Circa 2006, my parents were looking to buy a hotel in Northam east of Perth but unfortunately the returns it was getting didn't make it worth while as it was in a more quiet part of town away from the main street. I drove past a few years later to find the hotel converted into housing.

Edited by Bergoine, 23 February 2012 - 06:17 AM.

OFFLINE   ryaneco #9

• 2,940 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

I know it well. Building happens to be owned by WIN Corporation. Pity it closed earlier this month.

I literally found out about this last night after I posted that comment yesterday :(

Word around town is that it is apparently changing hands and will reopen - but I'll wait and see what happens.....It is an effort to go to because its fairly remote from the larger town of Wollongong and apparently wasn't popular with the residents of the northern suburbs. I always stopped there on my cycle rides from the national park down to Wollongong. Was good half way mark to stop and have a beer ;P

OFFLINE   Squee! #10

• Forum Moderator

• 11,047 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Shame about that. Doesn't Coles own a few hotels with a Liquorland annex? I always thought the Greenwood Hotel was decent when I was living over there, are they owned by Woolies?

They now are... but have only been owned by woolies for a few months (making it worse). a private equity group bought it off the original owners for in insane price (upwards of $30mil), then woolies picked it up for about... 20% of that). Since it first changed hands its sucked pretty hard.
Coles only owns a few pubs in WA, the Leopold, Glengarry Tavern.. not many more.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #11

• 4,110 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

Pub... Generous Squire in the Perth CBD is great.

Too pose-y for me.. Durty Nelly's is my favourite.

OFFLINE   Bergoine #12

• 1,372 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

Coles only owns a few pubs in WA, the Leopold, Glengarry Tavern.. not many more.

Oh dear, I can imagine the kitchen using only "Coles branded" ingrediants in their food. Same goes for Woolies lol. The government should step and stop the big two buying more hotels.

Edited by Bergoine, 24 February 2012 - 08:19 AM.

OFFLINE   Moe #13

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

The government should step and stop the big two buying more hotels.

At least in Queensland they buy them for liquor licensing reasons.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #14

• 4,110 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Oh dear, I can imagine the kitchen using only "Coles branded" ingrediants in their food. Same goes for Woolies lol. The government should step and stop the big two buying more hotels.

The govt shouldn't interfere in private commerce.. better to make their pokie permits effectively worthless.

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #15

• 5,529 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

I've always been fond of the restaurants in Burwood, Sydney, some really good ones there.

Club Burwood is good too - looks like a piece of crap on the outside but is quite cosy and nice inside and the cafe is quite good... a little further on there's three restaurants side by side, all fantastic.

OFFLINE   Squee! #16

• Forum Moderator

• 11,047 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

re: above about woolies/coles hotel ownership... the main thing that bugs me has been the general homogenisation of the food to been the same generic specials and menu across several pubs. Think this will be a critical error in the long term for ALH...

OFFLINE   jimbo #17

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

The Breakwater @ Hillarys (Perth) is an AWESOME location, despite the obscene prices.

OFFLINE   Squee! #18

• Forum Moderator

• 11,047 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Second that... Especially when most places at hillarys harbour are quite mediocre especially for the prices (hippo creek aint bad though if you love your red meat)

ONLINE   JackMelbTV #19

• 4,710 posts since
  • February 2011

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Went to a Thai restaurant called Ban Chiang in Dapto NSW tonight. I've Thai had lots in the past and I have to say that's the best Thai I've ever had. Highly recommend it to anyone who lives in the area.

OFFLINE   ADstv #20

• 1,554 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Why can't Meat & Wine Co expand to Perth . Had it for dinner and loved it

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
[ads]tv 5 YEARS ... 2007-2012