The Price is Right

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
425 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Spbeck #261

• 340 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Larry just tweeted kylie is going to be a guest model

OFFLINE   MATTB #262

• 3,022 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

They really need to fix the showcase time limit, she ran out of time tonight. Tonight's prizes were no better then yesterdays.
Matt.B

OFFLINE   Leostar #263

• 4,795 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

I finally got to watch a full episode tonight.
The come on down music being used as the shows theme, drove me insane after the first ad break. Its used for every aspect of the show and that's not what it is for. The old music from the Nine era needs to come back.
In terms of lighting, the set didnt look as bad tonight but the Big W mentions every 5 seconds starts to wear thin almost from the start.

I think if this show is going to stay on air, the contestant line-up at the beginning needs to happen. The Big Wheel needs to come back, and the showcase needs to be more impressive. I guess its going to take time for the show to get some more sponsors to get the bigger prizes though... well I'm hoping anyway.

Overall its still fun but its obvious like others are saying that its being done on the cheap.

OFFLINE   The Sifon #264

• 5,922 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

They really need to fix the showcase time limit, she ran out of time tonight. Tonight's prizes were no better then yesterdays.

Actually today's episode justifies the time limit. That old woman would've been there for 10 minutes figuring out the showcase. That old woman reminded me of this cringeworthy moment on the Nine version. :laugh:

I didn't see the first episode but i watched today's episode. I thought it was ok. It did seem less dramatic than the Nine version (set, sound fx, theme, announcer etc).

I never liked the contestants row, glad they got rid of it. it was a rort.

All it needs is more models (female), more games and better prizes. Was the showcase a Nissan Micra in the first episode? Hopefully we see some other great Nissan cars.

Edited by The Sifon, 08 May 2012 - 05:50 PM.

OFFLINE   skartel #265

• 242 posts since
  • July 2006

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

I've tried to reshuffle things a bit to show how it could be saved, though I'm sure everyone could visualise this anyway...

That actually makes it ALOT better! Bring back the prelim round, vibe up the music/fx and audience selection, and increase the price of the showcase... I'm sure with time the prizes will become better.

OFFLINE   The Sifon #266

• 5,922 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

It's not that much different. Some of you may want to actually watch Nine's version.

Edited by The Sifon, 08 May 2012 - 06:25 PM.

OFFLINE   Ryan #267

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,182 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Agree with most of the other comments. Fun, but cheap. The games don't seem as "big" as they once were and the set is far too small.

Don't agree that the big wheel should come back (wasn't a part of the Nine version until they revived it IIRC). The bidding game at the start needs to return.

Glad about the 40 second showcase limit. Those two women tonight (either one of them) would have been there forever otherwise.

Brodie's not as bad as I thought he'd be.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Spbeck #268

• 340 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Better show tonight ( prize wise- P&O cruise in pricing game) . I say give it time . Wasn't Push Over called Bump in the Channel 9 version?

OFFLINE   ppx #269

• 113 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

It's not that much different. Some of you may want to actually watch Nine's version.

I just watched quite a bit of that and it confirmed to me that it's not just nostalgia - I have to say Nine's version is far, far superior in every aspect.

40 second limit is absolutely ridiculous - there's a thing called editing! Just have a hidden time limit if necessary!

Edited by Ryan, 08 May 2012 - 08:08 PM.
don't quote videos

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #270

• Forum Moderator

• 3,722 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Interesting to note that the vision they used for the Turpie tribute in yesterday's show was from the Ten version of TPIR and not from Seven's 1981-1986 incarnation.

OFFLINE   Moe #271

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

Don't agree that the big wheel should come back (wasn't a part of the Nine version until they revived it IIRC). The bidding game at the start needs to return.

When Nine didn't have the wheel, the top two players just directly advanced to the showcase bidding round. Having a bidding round just before the showcase bidding round makes that part of the show repetitive.

Contestants row also helps somewhat at weeding out some of the worst players, with Seven's version calling people directly up on stage it could be argued that they are deliberately picking people who won't win to make the show even cheaper, as I'm fairly sure they put the contestants through a screening round rather than a true random chance from everyone in the audience.

Of course that version reflects some of Nine's last ditch attempts with the show before axing it - they changed a lot of things to try and bring back the ratings against Deal. This episode from 2003 probably better reflects what most people remember the format as,

Nine added the wheel in its original usage for the one hour version and then stuffed up the format when they returned to 30 minutes by only having two pricing games and using the wheel to decide between the two. An ideal would be three pricing games, the highest winner goes through to the showcase and the wheel to decide between the other two, which shouldn't take any longer than having a bidding game - but I don't think Nine's version ever did that outside of the hour long one.

OFFLINE   Spbeck #272

• 340 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Larry just mentioned on The Morning Show they are trying to swap around the episode with Kylie to be aired earlier. Also celebrity guests are being used to help the contestants . As I have said, don't give up on it just yet.

OFFLINE   cmo #273

• 6,164 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

I said before this showed aired that whilst there is much nostalgia for this show and Larry does a great job, it just isn't going to work. It looks cheap and unfortunately they have messed around with the format too much.

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #274

• 1,574 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

There's good tacky & bad tacky. We all know the Channel Nine version was cheesy & cringe worthy & not something you'd openly admit to watching in company but we didn't care because it was still fun to watch. I haven't see this new version yet but, looking at the caps posted on OzCelebs, makes me think it looks more like a maker-under than make-over. It has an antiquated look, like they found some old 1970s sets in storage & just dusted them off.

I don't know, it just seems to me that the commercial networks continue to get more & more reticent to open up their coffers & spend real money on domestic television...
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, & those who can't.

OFFLINE   Moe #275

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

So the deciding game is inexplicably gone today (missed yesterday's episode) - which means that the middle contestant, who won all they could have won on their pricing game had no chance to go through to the showcase and therefore had no chance for anything other than the luck of which set of prizes she was given for the particular game. Sure that existed with the original Nine version before the wheel, but with a contestants row you can use the difficulty of picking the value of that original prize to determine the value of the game, and there's skill to actually getting on stage.

If time's an issue, don't make the range $1000 to guess between - was horrible tonight with how long it took to get to the showcase, to then have a 40 second limit on order.

It's slightly improved over the first episode (a tiny bit less Big W promotion as well), but needs a whole lot more refinement.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #276

• Forum Moderator

• 3,722 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

So the deciding game is inexplicably gone today (missed yesterday's episode)

I think that game is only being used in the event that two, or three, contestants fail to win a prize.

OFFLINE   Moe #277

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

I think that game is only being used in the event that two, or three, contestants fail to win a prize.

So you have a better chance at getting to the showcase by losing?

OFFLINE   TV Head #278

• 18,571 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

This format is a stinker, needs to get back to basics.

OFFLINE   tbop #279

• 1,979 posts since
  • March 2011

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Everything about it is really bad. Brodie didn't even say 'Come on down' for the second contestant today.

The games are cheap and nasty. The prizes everyday have been a Big W shopping spree. The sets are terrible. You can see the set guys setting up the games and walking on screen. Even the way they have the models swiping their fingers up and down the prizes is OTT.

I'm so so disappointed. I really thought it was going to be great.

OFFLINE   Leostar #280

• 4,795 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Yeah I am sick of the "From BIG W!" every 5 seconds. Might as well call it "Big W Right Price."