Wednesday 18th April

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #61

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

In the end, Seven is dominating them. An argument in any other direction is plain ignorance of their strong first quarter.

Well those year to date figures include Seven's monster MKR which ran 5 nights a week for 3 months.

Those year to date figurers however do not include Nine's Voice or Ten's MasterChef. So to be fair, let's compare again in 4 months when all three nets have each aired their monster hits.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #62

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,100 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Who would have thought that Celebrity Apprentice would flop on its return, after The Voice pulled more than 2 million viewers for three nights in a row? Perhaps three reality shows on the same channel in a week is too much for some viewers.
Underwhelming figures for the return of Offspring. And the ABC's line-up underperformed again.

OFFLINE   The Sifon #63

• 5,731 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Exactly. Thanks for that info. Advertisers pay for the shows we watch. And they only pay for viewers under 55. That is how this biz works folk, like it or not.

Who does the Australian Pensioners Insurance Agency target? 18-49? lol.

I see those annoying ads all the time. 55+ are not ignored.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #64

• News Contributor

• 4,493 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

Well those year to date figures include Seven's monster MKR which ran 5 nights a week for 3 months.

Those year to date figurers however do not include Nine's Voice or Ten's MasterChef. So to be fair, let's compare again in 4 months when all three nets have each aired their monster hits.

Which would bring them.....back to where they were last year. Behind Seven still and attempting to catch up. Even as MasterChef/Block dominated last year (and did better it the demos than MKR and AGT through 2011 for the most part), both networks still ended up a long way behind by season end.

Ever thought that networks don't look past 10:30pm very much because all their highest-rated programs (and a lions share of their advertising revenue) is sold between 6pm-10:30pm. There is no conspiracy that "Seven would lose the demo race if it included 1.5 extra hours of primetime" like you are attempting to indicate. That simply isn't the case. Seven are well in front regardless of whatever way you slice it.

OFFLINE   Matlock #65

• News Contributor

• 6,080 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Oldies are targetted too, but I've read somewhere (I think it was the AFR) that something like 60% of advertiser dollars are spent aiming at 18-49. The rest would be largely government ads and retirement homes, and children's products.

OFFLINE   J Bar #66

• 14,718 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Who would have thought that Celebrity Apprentice would flop on its return, after The Voice pulled more than 2 million viewers for three nights in a row? Perhaps three reality shows on the same channel in a week is too much for some viewers.

Also, the contrived reality of obnoxious D-list celebrities is a turn-off after all that soppy, niceness of The Voice. I watched the first season of CA but couldn't be bothered after seeing the promos, which just made it look exactly like the first season.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #67

• 20,030 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

A poo poo article already in the SMH about Nine 'croaking' without The Voice.

http://www.smh.com.a...0419-1x8km.html

OFFLINE   Racer25 #68

• News Contributor

• 4,493 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Oldies are targetted too, but I've read somewhere (I think it was the AFR) that something like 60% of advertiser dollars are spent aiming at 18-49. The rest would be largely government ads and retirement homes, and children's products.

If 60% is in that demo, then another large percentage is hitting 16-39 and 25-54 too. 18-49 is just the core demo for most advertisers.

OFFLINE   underarm #69

• 2,152 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Who does the Australian Pensioners Insurance Agency target? 18-49? lol.

I see those annoying ads all the time. 55+ are not ignored.

Not to forget all those funeral ads.

OFFLINE   CJM #70

• 2,800 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Ten target 18-49 between 6pm-10.30pm. They have either targeted 16-39 or 18-49 between 6pm-10.30pm for around 15 years now. Unlike Seven and Nine, Ten have never had a high percentage of older viewers watching them. It worked well for them for years when they were the only network targeting the younger viewers while Seven and Nine targeted the older viewers. Digital channels changed all that with Seven and Nine being able to offer a 3 channel platform targeting young and old demographics and that has hurt Ten a lot because while Seven and Nine have been able to attract the younger viewers, Ten is not even on the radar of over 50s who are set in their viewing habits.

Last night 6pm-10.30pm commercial share, Nine's main channel won in 18-49, 16-39 and 25-54, while Seven won 55+ and total people. However, Nine/Go!/Gem came third in 18-49 and 16-39 and came second in 25-54, while Seven/7Two/7Mate won 18-49, 25-54 and 55+ and Ten/Eleven/One won 16-39. It was very close between all 3 commercial networks last night in 18-49 with Seven/7Two/7Mate getting 34.1%, Ten/Eleven/One getting 33.0% and Nine/Go!/Gem getting 32.9%.

To demonstrate how old 7Two skews...it got a 12.3% share of 55+ last night while Ten's main channel got 12.4%.

OFFLINE   jimbo #71

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Expected those sort of figures for Block/CA at this stage of their run.

Wednesday is naturally a lower rating night than Sun/Mon/Tue and the battle stage of the block starting to get a bit boring and people will start to come more once it starts proper next week (like in 2011)

CA should also warm up and head over 1mill as things get to the business end.

OFFLINE   The Sifon #72

• 5,731 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Expected those sort of figures for Block/CA at this stage of their run.

Wednesday is naturally a lower rating night than Sun/Mon/Tue and the battle stage of the block starting to get a bit boring and people will start to come more once it starts proper next week (like in 2011)

</p>You mean Thursday. (Late night shopping, early weekends etc).Friday / Saturday clubbing/drinking

OFFLINE   InTheWild #73

• 4,220 posts since
  • March 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thats the point. They are year-to-date. Not the figures fault that Nine and Ten couldn't find a hit show to save their bank balance. There is not doubt The Voice, Block and Masterchef will help them claw back some of that lost ground but as they stand Seven are sitting pretty.

Edited by InTheWild, 19 April 2012 - 01:23 PM.

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #74

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

<div>

Which would bring them.....back to where they were last year. Behind Seven still and attempting to catch up. Even as MasterChef/Block dominated last year (and did better it the demos than MKR and AGT through 2011 for the most part), both networks still ended up a long way behind by season end.
<p> </p>
<p><br />
Ever thought that networks don't look past 10:30pm very much because all their highest-rated programs (and a lions share of their advertising revenue) is sold between 6pm-10:30pm. There is no conspiracy that &quot;Seven would lose the demo race if it included 1.5 extra hours of primetime&quot; like you are attempting to indicate. That simply isn't the case. Seven are well in front regardless of whatever way you slice it.

</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not at all saying Seven is not #1 in 15-54 and 18-49. They are! No doubt! But I don't know if they are &quot;way way way way ahead&quot; as you suggest. You're looking at the first quarter of the year, where Seven had MKR. Nine and Ten have not had their monster hits yet. Will Seven win the year in 18-49 and 25-54 again. probably! Will they be &quot;way way way way ahead&quot;? I don't think so. I think it will be tighter than you expect, especially if you look at just Ten Nine and Seven and exclude the digital networks. There is no doubt Seven had an incredibly strong start. There is also no doubt some of its powerhouses are now stumbling thanks to The Voice (Revenge, AGT, Rafters)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And again not suggesting Seven is still not the leader in demos when 10.30-12pm are included. What I am saying is the gap narrows. </p>
</div>

OFFLINE   Mr. J #75

• 9,231 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

the demos vs. tp debate has been very quiet for the last 18 months, coincidentally while 7 has been dominating all demos, trust that the second another network has a gain in the demos it all comes back.

i've never totally bought into the demos argument. in the late naughties when 7's schedule was built on factuals, and 7 was easily winning total people while 9 had a comfortable lead on 18-49 and 25-54 and ten, 16-39. then when it came to advertising revenue 7 smashed everyone. an over-simplification, perhaps, but something demo-people never seem to be able to argue off, although i fully anticipate CJM will have something to say.

And again not suggesting Seven is still not the leader in demos when 10.30-12pm are included. What I am saying is the gap narrows.

i strongly doubt that is true. do you have any figures to back that up?

Edited by Mr. J, 19 April 2012 - 04:08 PM.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #76

• News Contributor

• 4,493 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

the demos vs. tp debate has been very quiet for the last 18 months, coincidentally while 7 has been dominating all demos, trust that the second another network has a gain in the demos it all comes back.

i've never totally bought into the demos argument. in the late naughties when 7's schedule was built on factuals, and 7 was easily winning total people while 9 had a comfortable lead on 18-49 and 25-54 and ten, 16-39. then when it came to advertising revenue 7 smashed everyone. an over-simplification, perhaps, but something demo-people never seem to be able to argue off, although i fully anticipate CJM will have something to say.

i strongly doubt that is true. do you have any figures to back that up?

Unlikely because networks won't release them. As I noted earlier, that's most likely because they don't sell a lot of advertising past that point, so why bother including it in their press release. All their higher-rating programming airs before 10:30pm, so it stands to reason that this is the segment they would make most point of. Seven is clearly dominating.

As for why Seven was leading the ad market when Nine and Ten have previously won demos, that probably comes back to how effectively their advertising department is working. Seven sell their network as a package which has worked well for the past two years most especially. Their channels have clear branding and strategies. Nine and Ten are more hazed - One is a mess, GEM is what exactly? - and therefore, advertisers aren't either as attracted to their networks overall, or simply just buy into the best slots.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #77

• 20,030 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

<div></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not at all saying Seven is not #1 in 15-54 and 18-49. They are! No doubt! But I don't know if they are &quot;way way way way ahead&quot; as you suggest. You're looking at the first quarter of the year, where Seven had MKR. Nine and Ten have not had their monster hits yet. Will Seven win the year in 18-49 and 25-54 again. probably! Will they be &quot;way way way way ahead&quot;? I don't think so. I think it will be tighter than you expect, especially if you look at just Ten Nine and Seven and exclude the digital networks. There is no doubt Seven had an incredibly strong start. There is also no doubt some of its powerhouses are now stumbling thanks to The Voice (Revenge, AGT, Rafters)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And again not suggesting Seven is still not the leader in demos when 10.30-12pm are included. What I am saying is the gap narrows. </p>
</div>

So what's your point? The original poster backed up their observation of how the ratings sit currently with the ratings data...

OFFLINE   greysfan #78

• 2,041 posts since
  • July 2007

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

A poo poo article already in the SMH about Nine 'croaking' without The Voice.

http://www.smh.com.a...0419-1x8km.html

Its true though :laugh: Nine are nothing without The Voice and if the show was to drop and i do expect them to drop a bit after the blind auditions, although how much it drops is to be determined, then Nine are back to how they were before Easter.

As for this advertising stuff being spoken about yes the 3 main demo's are the main focus but the over 55's have to be a big focus too. Just look at some of the ads being shown on 7two during Hearbeat and others during prime time. All targeting the older market with health insurance, life insurance etc. So it is all dependent on a lot of things. Look at late night ads for example. Those adult numbers and other things being ran around 11pm is horrible. I was watching The Amazing Race last night, a PG show mind you but because of the timeslot Prime7 were running raunchy ads. It all depends on the market. During the day i assume that the ads are targeted at the over 55's and stay at home mums? I don't watch much tv during the day as i am rarely at home so don't know.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #79

• 20,030 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Its true though :laugh: Nine are nothing without The Voice and if the show was to drop and i do expect them to drop a bit after the blind auditions, although how much it drops is to be determined, then Nine are back to how they were before Easter.

Without the depth of programming, tent pole programming is risky, just ask Ten.

OFFLINE   cmo #80

• 6,005 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

But who cares about 55+...they are old. Not necessary to worry about them. They are not out there creating buzz about things. They sit in their houses with loafers on and tend to agree with right wing nut jobs like Bolt, Jones, Hadley et al...Boring...move on...nothing to see here.