US Television

• Please log in to reply
1962 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Andy B #81

• 3,272 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (Big_Dan @ Dec 20 2005, 05:10 AM)
That's what I meant. I thought your clips had a transition from local to networked news output.

The WB, FOX, UPN, PAX doesn't have network news. they use their local stations to report national news, and if it's a major disaster like the Tsunami, Pope's funeral they use CNN, or another well known news source (into their feed) but FOX in it's case has FNC so whenever something big happens they turn into FNC/FN.

Here is more clips of News (and for routemaker the WB ECP cheerful.gif )

This clip is when they come our of the closing scene of the programme then they "promote" the artists used in the shows etc, then a promo for the news:
http://www.themocksf...dy/KTLANEXT.wmv

And here is when they come out of the ads ( :grumpy: ) to show the Credits and then onto the news:
http://www.themocksf...PTOKTLANEWS.wmv

I like KTLA and all but I wish they'd use different fonts for promos and local programmes and news from their station font! crazy.gif

Caps from Sunday's news:

KTLA is the only station I've seen that show idents sometimes, which is local scenery with a swoosh thing and a voiceover saying "This is KTLA, KTLA, THE WB, THE WB, WHERE LA LIVES" eek.gif

Edited by Andy B, 21 December 2005 - 02:07 PM.

OFFLINE   routemarker #82

• 5,353 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the cap cheerful.gif I guess almost all the nets have their credits on the bottom with each one trying to do it a little differently from the others. Since KTLA have their news start in the credits, would other WB affiliates do the same thing? It looks way too neat for KTLA to do it all live so im going to guess that they recieve the prepackaged ECP beforehand and that it airs as part of the affiliate feed.
You're going nowhere fast, like a moose without legs; tied to a truck with no petrol!

OFFLINE   Andy B #83

• 3,272 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:56 AM

I've seen a WB affiliate in Dallas and they do the same thing, it does look like they prerecord the ECP split screen bit.

OFFLINE   Andy B #84

• 3,272 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

I've captured the ABC Ident (3.9 secs):
http://www.themocksf...dy/ABCIDENT.wmv

OFFLINE   Andy B #85

• 3,272 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:51 AM

ABC's Christmas watermark/DOG.

OFFLINE   Smacca #86

• Forum Moderator

• 3,276 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Andy B @ Dec 27 2005, 06:51 AM)
ABC's Christmas watermark/DOG.

God that's huge!

Edited by Smacca, 27 December 2005 - 09:59 AM.

OFFLINE   Mark #87

• 16,341 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

Here is the day 1 new opener for ABC's World News Tonight.

9mb, DivX

http://s38.yousendit...DR1IOQOCJ7LVHNE

OFFLINE   routemarker #88

• 5,353 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (MJH @ Jan 6 2006, 08:58 PM)

Thanks for thata, I thought it would have been a better opener, it looks very dated with elements that are OTT.
You're going nowhere fast, like a moose without legs; tied to a truck with no petrol!

OFFLINE   Mr Q #89

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

Yes - I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the revised graphics for WNT... I don't care much for the new logo - the configuration is awkward, and I don't really like the font... It doesn't match with any of the other graphics, which are all still using Futura.
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.

OFFLINE   Mr Q #90

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

Oh - BTW, MJH - that was actually Night 2 of the new ABC WNT. wink.gif

Thanks for the clip though. I kind of like the idea for the headline sequence - but I just don't think the way those video frames are positioned within the cubes look completely right. Something's off with the perspective I think...
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.

OFFLINE   Woz #91

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (MJH @ Jan 6 2006, 08:58 PM)
Thanks!
I really don't like that at all. IMO the old opener was much better. And this new logo is a step backwards.
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Mark #92

• 16,341 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (Mr Q @ Jan 6 2006, 09:19 PM)
Oh - BTW, MJH - that was actually Night 2 of the new ABC WNT. wink.gif

Thanks for the clip though. I kind of like the idea for the headline sequence - but I just don't think the way those video frames are positioned within the cubes look completely right. Something's off with the perspective I think...

whoops. Pardon me, it was the 2nd night - I'm in idjet! cheerful.gif yes.gif yes.gif :wave:

OFFLINE   routemarker #93

• 5,353 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:13 AM

Here’s an insight into the way various network affiliates present themselves with respect to promotion and their local newscasts. I made a clip with a couple of promos from WB affiliates WPIX-11 (New York) and KTLA-5 (Los Angeles) I found with downloads of Everybody loves Raymond. The Dawson's Creek promo shows the way local affiliates re-package network promos to add their branding and voiceover to add a local time (8pm rather than keeping with an obvious 8/7c network version) which often come off as a little cheap.

I’m guessing the promos/look aired around 2002-03.

Edited by routemarker, 05 April 2006 - 10:37 AM.

OFFLINE   Andy B #94

• 3,272 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:03 PM

That was deffo from 2-3 years ago, because ktla's current logo is this: crazy.gif

OFFLINE   routemarker #95

• 5,353 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Andy B @ Jan 8 2006, 02:03 PM)
That was deffo from 2-3 years ago, because ktla's current logo is this:  crazy.gif

And having been to their site their morning news looks great, I'm very impressed.

OFFLINE   Jimmy James #96

• 4,884 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

I watched that video of the 'Raymond' credits being ping ponged all over the screen (thanks for posting that!) and I can't help but think that if Ten are going to keep their current method of credit squeezing then they need to try out this KTLA method which is really good!
Words to live by...
Follow the RANT
TELEVISION RANT

OFFLINE   routemarker #97

• 5,353 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy James @ Jan 8 2006, 05:40 PM)
I watched that video of the 'Raymond' credits being ping ponged all over the screen (thanks for posting that!) and I can't help but think that if Ten are going to keep their current method of credit squeezing then they need to try out this KTLA method which is really good!

lol it's just a whole bunch put together rather than have it in seperate files. :wave:

It's also from two different affiliates hence the varied positioning.

Edited by routemarker, 08 January 2006 - 04:59 PM.

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #98

• 2,793 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:37 AM

NBC Shakes Up Post-Olympic Schedule

Sunday, January 22, 2006
11:13 AM PT

ZAP2IT.COM

The NBC schedule that comes out of the Winter Olympics next month will look a good deal different from the one the network has used thus far this season.
Three new series, plus a new "Apprentice" and a weekly edition of the surprise hit game show "Deal or No Deal," will join the Peacock's lineup starting Monday, Feb. 27, the day after the Olympics end. The biggest changes come on Monday, with "Deal or No Deal" and "The Apprentice" taking up the first two hours of the night, and Friday, which gets a relocated "Las Vegas" at 9 p.m. ET at the new Dick Wolf drama "Conviction" at 10.

Additionally, "Law & Order" will move out of the 10 p.m. Wednesday spot, its home seemingly since time immemorial, to make room for the new series "Heist." "L&O" will slide back to 9 p.m. for the remainder of the season, where it will have to square off against extremely tough competition in the "American Idol" results show on FOX, ABC's "Lost" and CBS' "Criminal Minds."

"We are not going to slip quietly into spring," NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly says. "With these exciting new shows in our reconfigured schedule, we will be very competitive -- and given the promotional momentum of the Olympics, we can give these promising shows the launch they deserve."
"Deal or No Deal" will lead off the post-Olympic schedule with a week of nightly runs on Feb. 27. Following that, it will air weekly at 8 p.m. Mondays starting March 6 ("Surface" ends its season prior to the Olympics). The fifth installment of "The Apprentice" makes the move to Monday as well, while "Medium" stays put at 10.

With "The Apprentice" moving to Mondays, NBC has shipped "Las Vegas" to Friday with the hope of reinvigorating a night it used to dominate but has let slide in recent seasons. It will lead into "Conviction," which follows the professional and personal lives of young assistant district attorneys in New York. (The edition of "Dateline" that once aired on Friday moves to Saturdays.)

Finally, "The Office" will end its season at the end of March to allow star Steve Carell to head to work on the movie "Evan Almighty" for NBC sibling Universal Pictures. "Teachers," a comedy about middle-school teachers from "Scrubs" writer-producer Matt Tarses, will fill that spot for six weeks beginning April 6.

Here's a rundown of the schedule changes:

Monday

8 p.m. "Deal or No Deal" (nightly Feb. 27-March 3, weekly starting March 6)
9 p.m. "The Apprentice 5" (premieres Feb. 27)

Wednesday

9 p.m. "Law & Order" (new time period beginning March 22)
10 p.m. "Heist" (premieres March 22)

Thursday

9:30 p.m. "Teachers" (premieres April 6)

Friday

9 p.m. "Las Vegas" (new time period beginning March 3)
10 p.m. "Conviction" (premieres March 3)

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #99

• 2,793 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:40 AM

NEW YORK - CBS Corp. and Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. said Tuesday they will close their respective UPN and WB networks, and jointly launch a new channel in fall 2006.

The new CW network will be a 50-50 joint venture of the two companies.

The companies expect the station to reach 95 percent of the country.

Tribune Co. said its 16 UPN broadcast stations signed 10-year affiliate agreements with the new network. Similarly, CBS said its 12 UPN stations signed 10-year affiliate deals.

The two station groups reach 48 percent of the country. The companies expect the remainder of the affiliates to come from a combination of WB and UPN stations.

The CW will use The WB’s current scheduling model, which consists of Monday through Friday nights from 8-10 p.m. ET; Sundays from 7-10 p.m. ET; Sunday from 5-7 p.m. ET outside of primetime. It will also include a Monday through Friday afternoon block from 3-5 p.m. ET and a 5-hour Saturday morning animation block.

The surprise news of the merger comes as the WB Network has faced pressure to perform and prove itself as a strategic asset at a time when its parent company Time Warner is under intense scrutiny on Wall Street and from maverick investor Carl Icahn.

Time Warner has struggled with the WB’s financials since the network was launched in January 1995 because of its lack of TV station holdings, which are the primary revenue drivers for broadcast networks.

Sources told the Hollywood Reporter that UPN president Dawn Ostroff will oversee the combined venture, and that WB Network chairman Garth Ancier and WB entertainment president David Janollari would depart their posts.

Time Warner president and chief operating officer Jeff Bewkes said at a recent investor conference that the WB has done only “medium,” had a slight loss in 2005 and needs more hits and better affiliate relationships. He also signaled that management would focus on addressing these issues in 2006.

OFFLINE   routemarker #100

• 5,353 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:46 AM

Wow what a change. I would have thought that if they were to merge both channels that they would extend their primetime lineup to 11pm. Is that feasable? Could they pay the affiliates to carry programming to 11?