Digital Television

• Please log in to reply
5692 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mister Man #1

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:28 PM

For starters, get over sport not being broadcasted in widescreen, does it really matter, especially with tennis!

I remeber they did show the aussie open in widescreen on year and it was both not needed and annoying!  No doubt this is the reason they stopped.

As for ROY & HG- Marvolous, i love them!  More i say!  and as for random task, i suspect you hate them merely becuase they appear on 7, but if they were on 9 no doubt they be all a rave!

You get over Channel 7. For fucks sake, it's 2004. Every other network can manage widescreen sport but not 7. DTV has been transmitting since 2001. Add to their lack of widescreen news and sport, the lack of a proper HD channel.

Edited by Sharpy, 04 July 2005 - 08:42 PM.

OFFLINE   Mr Q #2

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:32 PM

7 is a joke when it comes to widescreen sport, like their news, their ratings, their programming - all a joke  :lol:  :lol:

Well, except for Roy & HG of course. No jokes there. At least not any funny ones.
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.

OFFLINE   ash #3

• 588 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 08 January 2004 - 11:17 PM

Seven may well broadcast this year's Aus Open in widescreen. No-one knows if they will until coverage starts, Monday week.

Seven do all of the Pro Cars and the Bathurst 24 Hour in widescreen as well as the Commonwealth Games and last year's RWC.

WAIT AND SEE I SAY!
user posted image

OFFLINE   EuroKick #4

• 4,411 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 08 January 2004 - 11:20 PM

It's not. it has been confirmed by 7.
STILL THE ORIGINAL AND THE BEST; MediaSpy

OFFLINE   ash #5

• 588 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 08 January 2004 - 11:22 PM

Where? When?
user posted image

OFFLINE   EuroKick #6

• 4,411 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 08 January 2004 - 11:28 PM

http://www.dtvforum....?showtopic=2139

read below
Unfortunately, due to contractual requirements as host broadcasters, we are obligated to provide these programs in 4:3. Seven are planning future contracts for programs to be supplied in widescreen format transmission and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate department.

Kind regards,

OFFLINE   ash #7

• 588 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 08 January 2004 - 11:42 PM

OK - Fair enough.

But Nine doesn't really broadcast that much sport in widescreen. I know the cricket is somewhat.
user posted image

OFFLINE   EuroKick #8

• 4,411 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 08 January 2004 - 11:52 PM

wtf? nine sport is always in WS! nine has the best WS sport coverage!

OFFLINE   ash #9

• 588 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:03 AM

Settle. :lol:

You see I rarely watch any of Nine's sport, so I wasn't 100% sure. Thet don't exactly let the world know that they do so, except the cricket.
user posted image

OFFLINE   Mr Q #10

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:38 AM

http://www.dtvforum....?showtopic=2139

read below
Unfortunately, due to contractual requirements as host broadcasters, we are obligated to provide these  programs in 4:3. Seven are planning future contracts for programs to be supplied in widescreen format transmission and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate department.

Kind regards,

That's an absolute farce. Almost all host broadcasters would be required to provide a 4:3 service for other broadcasters who aren't yet in widescreen. That doesn't mean that they can't provide a proper widescreen service though. I'm fairly certain they must have managed to do it with the RWC - Fox Sports wasn't broadcasting in widescreen.

OFFLINE   Mister Man #11

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:35 AM

That's an absolute farce. Almost all host broadcasters would be required to provide a 4:3 service for other broadcasters who aren't yet in widescreen. That doesn't mean that they can't provide a proper widescreen service though. I'm fairly certain they must have managed to do it with the RWC - Fox Sports wasn't broadcasting in widescreen.

I agree, I think it's just an excuse for them to be cheap. Look at their ED channel, 576p.

OFFLINE   Mr Q #12

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:51 AM

I'll have to take your word for it. I don't have digital, let alone widescreen, TV.

[Guest] DownUnder #13

• --

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:47 PM

Settle.  :lol:

You see I rarely watch any of Nine's sport, so I wasn't 100% sure. Thet don't exactly let the world know that they do so, except the cricket.

They shouldnt really have to. Digital TV started 3 years ago. It would be common sense for viewers. Unless of course they were watching Seven.

NRL, AFL, Cricket, Tennis, Golf and Swimming is all WS from Nine, all of Ten's sport is WS. SBS can manage their motorsport coverage in WS, even the ABC can manage ALL their sport in WS. Yet Seven cant even manage the Australian Open golf or tennis, as well as many other event since digital began.

Edited by DownUnder, 09 January 2004 - 01:50 PM.

OFFLINE   ash #14

• 588 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:46 PM

It's funny that Fox Sports didn't broadcast the RWC coverage in WS which Seven did. But they are for the Hopman Cup which the ABC does
user posted image

OFFLINE   Mr Q #15

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:48 PM

It's funny that Fox Sports didn't broadcast the RWC coverage in WS which Seven did. But they are for the Hopman Cup which the ABC does

I didn't realise any Pay TV networks were broadcasting in widescreen...

OFFLINE   ash #16

• 588 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 09 January 2004 - 03:07 PM

Obviously Fox Sports do.
user posted image

OFFLINE   EuroKick #17

• 4,411 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 09 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

Fox Sports is NOT telecasting the Hopman Cup in Widescreen. it just looks that way because they are using a direct feed off the ABC and havnt removed the letterboxing. the only channels on Foxtel that are currently Widescreen on Satellite are Fox Footy, Fox8 and W

OFFLINE   Mr Q #18

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:02 PM

Might be a bit late off the mark on this one, but I thought I'd share it with you all...

OFFLINE   Mister Man #19

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:25 PM

Might be a bit late off the mark on this one, but I thought I'd share it with you all...

They should use that as an ID :huh:

OFFLINE   Mister Man #20

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:25 PM

For Echo and anyone else, I end this pointless topic in the Seven Network thread about the disadvantages of multichanneling and the advantage of HD.

Here's an unaltered cap except for the 4:3 crop from SBS ED @ 8 mbps