• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:25 PM

Now SBS SD @ 5.5mbits

OFFLINE   Mister Man #22

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:26 PM

Now finally, Nine HD cropped to 4:3 and resized to 1024 x 768 @ 14mbps.

OFFLINE   Mister Man #23

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:28 PM

Conclusion : SBS run 2 SD channels and an ED channel. I didn't bother capping their world news channel which has a horrid bitrate. Their SD channel has bad artifacting around the players and the same applies to their ED channel.

I need not comment on Nine's HD channel. Also think about blowing these images up onto a 2M projector screen which some people have in their homes.

Comments are highly welcome.

Edited by Mister Man, 18 January 2004 - 03:31 PM.

OFFLINE   Jasocahill #24

• 591 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:27 PM

A better comparison would of been, seeing a cap of SBS's australian product, such as their 'World News' program @ 6:30 on their standard channel. This is because overseas soccer on SBS has always looked 'low quality' even before DTV.

Edited by jasocahill, 18 January 2004 - 04:29 PM.

Jasocahill

[Guest] whoatemygoat #25

• --

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:31 PM

A better comparison would of been, seeing a cap of SBS's australian product, such as their 'World News' program @ 6:30 on their standard channel. This is because overseas soccer on SBS has always looked 'low quality' even before DTV.

Yeah, I agree, that's not the best comparison Mr Man. Australian studio shots are usually the best benchmark to compare from.

OFFLINE   Mister Man #26

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, I agree, that's not the best comparison Mr Man. Australian studio shots are usually the best benchmark to compare from.

Low motion doesn't highlight crap bitrates though but I'll see what I can do.

OFFLINE   Mister Man #27

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 29 January 2004 - 12:56 PM

Does anyone know if there's any plans for any news services to go HD?

P.S. Seven ones don't count.

OFFLINE   EuroKick #28

• 4,424 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:07 PM

Does anyone know if there's any plans for any news services to go HD?

P.S. Seven ones don't count.

Seven News Melbourne, and Today Tonight (east coast) are going HD in a few months
STILL THE ORIGINAL AND THE BEST; MediaSpy

OFFLINE   Mister Man #29

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:24 PM

Seven News Melbourne, and Today Tonight (east coast) are going HD in a few months

Pity Seven don't broadcast real HD. Looks no better than SD.

I'd like to see Ten's Sydney studios upgraded to HD. They update Sydney 5pm, Perth 5pm, 11:30 news, late news and the weekend news all in one hit.

OFFLINE   Jasocahill #30

• 591 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:44 PM

Pity Seven don't broadcast real HD. Looks no better than SD.

I'd like to see Ten's Sydney studios upgraded to HD. They update Sydney 5pm, Perth 5pm, 11:30 news, late news and the weekend news all in one hit.

You never know, Seven may start to broadcast in that good HD that you continually talk about. Any HD we currently see from 7 would have been planned before Leckie's appointment (Sunrise doesn't count as the HD broadcasts there are temporary anyway because of the big move). Just a theory though, I have no idea of the difference anyway because I only have SDTV.
Jasocahill

[Guest] DownUnder #31

• --

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:05 PM

Just a theory though, I have no idea of the difference anyway because I only have SDTV.

Oh theres a difference.

However if Australia didnt have to broadcast SD, the HD channel would be almost twice as powerful in resolution. Cant wait to be rid of SD quite frankly.

OFFLINE   Mister Man #32

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:25 PM

Oh theres a difference.

However if Australia didnt have to broadcast SD, the HD channel would be almost twice as powerful in resolution. Cant wait to be rid of SD quite frankly.

Digital TV would fail without SD. Most families couldn't afford over $600 for a HD box for all their TVs nevermind the price of the HD capable display. After the analog shutdown, the TV stations may have access to more spectrum allowing them to multichannel and have a respectable HD channel.

OFFLINE   waveformkid #33

• 215 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:25 PM

TCN9 will never do HD news. Not cost effective and too much infrastruture to change. Their current news control room is only 3 months old and is now pure digital SD.

OFFLINE   Mister Man #34

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:29 PM

TCN9 will never do HD news. Not cost effective and too much infrastruture to change. Their current news control room is only 3 months old and is now pure digital SD.

Entire SD news editing, my arse. Most of the reports from TCN are converted to analog before see them. Look for the obvious discolouration, dot crawl and all round poor quality. The matter has been discussed in the Nine network and N9N threads.

[Guest] DownUnder #35

• --

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:30 PM

Exactly. And whats the point when the content from CNN, ABC, CBS and ITN is all 4:3 SD? All you are going to get is the studio and the occasional field report in HD.

OFFLINE   Mister Man #36

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:37 PM

Exactly. And whats the point when the content from CNN, ABC, CBS and ITN is all 4:3 SD? All you are going to get is the studio and the occasional field report in HD.

Getting the studios in HD is a start. After that field reports can start to trickle through until all local stories are HD. Might take a few years but it's worth the wait. Both the cameras and HD viewing gear will fall in price making the uptake quicker as time goes on.

International stories have always looked crap and the viewers are already aware of this so it's no great loss if international stories still look crap.

OFFLINE   waveformkid #37

• 215 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:40 PM

You will notice in my post guys I said "news control room" (vision switcher) not editing suites, thats another issue in itself.....

OFFLINE   Mister Man #38

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:49 PM

You will notice in my post guys I said "news control room"  (vision switcher) not editing suites, thats another issue in itself.....

Any plans to fix those? These analog conversions are bloody shocking.

OFFLINE   waveformkid #39

• 215 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 30 January 2004 - 01:57 PM

Any plans to fix those? These analog conversions are bloody shocking.

They shoot news on Digi Beta SX. SX VTR's accept SP (analog) so there goes digital aquisition out the window as some stories are cut to SP. Over the next 12 months I have a feeling they upgrading the suites. Similar to what TEN have now, a non linear real time disk based system......

OFFLINE   ausWY #40

• 24 posts since
  • February 2003

Posted 09 February 2004 - 04:04 PM

Finally figured out how to take captures in High-Definition, have a look at this "All the best shows in High Definition" cap in 1920x1080, see attached...

Don't forget to click the full size button :huh:.