Fairfax Radio Network

• Please log in to reply
3022 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   M Man #701

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (TGIF @ May 4 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fig Tree Pocket (down the river from my old stomping ground) is a newish residential area..

and for that reason, the encroaching residential development according to BC meant their signal was being absorbed ie. not enough room for the ground wave to propagate.

So there were very bad signal deficiencies to the north end of the licence area, but the new site was advised against by the ABA and more but still happened and ended up with new blackspots.

Later they asked the ABA for an FM translator in an unspecified/very general southern/western area of Bris licence area but were knocked back due to above par.

OFFLINE   KCR_Mike #702

• 207 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

hello guys, when will 6PR be increasing its signal strength from 10KW to 12KW?

OFFLINE   M Man #703

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:15 AM

Go to: http://theairhead.tr....com/wegot.html and hit 'page down' about once - the one about joining the 96FM online army and posting on their forum.

Simply stunning!

Sadly, I didn't write it, but it broadly covers what we're all thinking about the breakfast bungling on 96.

OFFLINE   KCR_Mike #704

• 207 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

I like 96fm actually it is quite good.

OFFLINE   M Man #705

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

An interesting site:

http://www.facebook....gid=27679962840

OFFLINE   KCR_Mike #706

• 207 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

Who here likes 6PR and 621 Bunbury?

OFFLINE   chrisco #707

• 321 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

Can someone tell me when Bill Woods is on 2UE? thx

OFFLINE   PZ. #708

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,705 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (chrisco @ May 27 2008, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last time I heard him he was filling in for one of the "Sports Today" crew, weeknights at 6pm.

OFFLINE   chrisco #709

• 321 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

thank you will do a bit of researching

OFFLINE   Bergoine #710

• 1,368 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (KCR_Mike @ May 18 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use to be a DJ on 621 Bunbury back in the day. Now known as Spirit 621.

OFFLINE   M Man #711

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Bergoine @ May 27 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use to be a DJ on 621 Bunbury back in the day. Now known as Spirit 621.

When it was Easy Listening, AMI ownership?

OFFLINE   roosterboy60 #712

• 244 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (chrisco @ May 27 2008, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As mentioned above he does Sports Today every now and again. He also did fill in with Deb Knight for 2 weekends I think (might have been a month) earlier on in the year on the show Glenn Wheeler used to do. Don't think he's been on since.

OFFLINE   Mark #713

• 16,094 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:12 AM

Woods is coming back to UE in a fill-in role soon, but cant remember what timeslot.

OFFLINE   chrisco #714

• 321 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (The Oompa-Loompa @ May 29 2008, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woods is coming back to UE in a fill-in role soon, but cant remember what timeslot.

thanks will have to do some researching

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #715

• 8,278 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:32 AM

From today's The Australian:

They're doing it tough at a post-Laws 2UE

Nick Tabakoff | June 02, 2008

THE man who is heading Fairfax Media's push into radio - following its acquisition of Southern Cross Broadcasting's metropolitan radio network last year - has admitted life after John Laws has been "tough" for the network's flagship Sydney station, 2UE.

However, Fairfax Radio boss Graham Mott said he had always expected 2008 to be a "rebuild" year for the station following Laws' late 2007 retirement.

In an interview with The Australian, he conceded Laws' shoes had been big ones to fill, given his importance to 2UE and the substantial income he generated for the company from affiliated stations in regional areas across the country.

"It's fair to say everybody had a tough start to the year," he said.

"When you take someone out of the equation like John Laws -- who has been there for 20 years -- that's a significant brand that 2UE no longer has. It's a bit like changing one of the major characters in a TV series."

Fairfax Radio now controls the former Southern Cross metropolitan radio network, which includes 2UE, Melbourne's 3AW, Brisbane's 4BC and Perth's 6PR. The loss of Laws had an immediate effect on the ratings in his former Sydney morning shift, which was taken over by former 3AW broadcaster Steve Price.

After Laws departed with a 7.3 per cent audience share at the end of 2007, Price started the year with just a 5.2 per cent ratings share, before recovering in the latest survey to a 6.2 per cent share. The overall ratings for 2UE also took an initial hit before recovering in the latest survey.

There was added spice when Price took over the morning slot in January, after Laws launched an extraordinary attack on his soon-to-be successor in July last year: dubbing him "a risible dwarf" and counting him among "three real offenders in (the) category of jerk or weasel", along with fellow broadcasters Bob Rogers and Derryn Hinch.

But Mr Mott has given Price full marks for courage after taking over a slot established by a departing radio legend for the second time in six years. In 2002, Price took over Alan Jones' 2UE breakfast show, after Jones departed for 2GB.

"I'll give him (Price) a AAA+ rating for taking on such a huge challenge twice," Mr Mott said. "When a new person takes up the role from John Laws, people will judge and compare. I'm pleased with the progress he's made to date ... we've made some subtle changes (to Price's show) to make the flow a little better."

Mr Mott said there had been "some loss of revenue" with Laws no longer being on air, but money had been saved from no longer having to pay his salary. "In net terms, the station's in a better position from a bottom line perspective." He said Fairfax Radio would "continue to look for opportunities to make it a more cost-effective operation".

The company was also planning to maximise its revenue opportunities, as it looked to "bundle" advertising packages with Fairfax's newspaper and digital media operations.

Mr Mott said Fairfax Radio would this week announce a new full-time national ad sales head -- the first time it had done so -- in part to capitalise on bundling opportunities.

"In the new modern media, bundling comes into play," Mr Mott said. "You need someone to champion it. If we can cross-promote between the three of them (radio, print and online), and provide an environment for advertisers to extend their reach, we've got the market well covered."

Mr Mott is particularly taken with potential advertising synergies between Fairfax's radio and digital operations.

"For the talk radio listener, the radio station is breaking news. For those who do not listen to talk radio, online is the news-breaker."

http://www.theaustra...3-30540,00.html

TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   James Bond #716

• 24 posts since
  • May 2007

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (KCR_Mike @ May 18 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I Do! 6pR works for me when it informs and doesn't yell at me!

Edited by James Bond, 04 June 2008 - 12:30 AM.

OFFLINE   Mark #717

• 16,094 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

Rod and the Flack have been given the arse from 96fm

OFFLINE   Mark #718

• 16,094 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

The 3pm news bulletin on 2UE was forced off air and listeners heard only music after the newsroom was evacuated due to a fire in the building that houses the radio station.

The fire broke out about 2.45pm at a Dick Smith shop at the bottom of the building on the Pacific Highway in Greenwich, which is home to 2UE and Macquarie regional radio.

More than 100 employees in the building were evacuated.

One 2UE employee could see smoke coming from the front doors of the Dick Smith shop.

He said that some staff were reluctant to leave that radio station because, in his 13 years there, the bulletin had never failed to go to air.

Police and firefighters attended with three fire trucks.

A spokesman for the NSW Fire Brigades said the fire broke out in the rear storeroom.

He said the store had filled up with smoke, but there were no reports of injuries.

Guest presenter Don Burke announced just before 3pm that staff had to evacuate the station due to "smoke billowing" through the building.

"Our guys are just on scene. Apparently there is a small fire in a bottom floor rear room," a Fire Brigades media spokesman told AAP.

Before leaving his microphone, Burke told listeners the Fairfax Radio Network station would be playing music until the all-clear was given to return to the station.

Instead of the 3pm news bulletin, the station played the seven-minute version of the song Macarthur Park.

Afternoon presenter John Stanley returned to air just after 3.10pm.

AAP

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #719

• Forum Administrator

• 11,145 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (The Oompa-Loompa @ Jun 10 2008, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AAP

is 2UE's news syndicated to regionals or other Sydney stations? What did they get?

would 2UE have been better to switch to a feed of 3AW for that time?

OFFLINE   Mark #720

• 16,094 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (TelevisionAU @ Jun 10 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is 2UE's news syndicated to regionals or other Sydney stations? What did they get?

would 2UE have been better to switch to a feed of 3AW for that time?

UE is syndicated to regional AMers... who would have taken the UE feed if it was pulsed (switched from UE's computer). This happens when local stations are automated in the afternoons (many are). If the pulse hit at 3.05pm, which I think is when UE news finishes, and the song was playing, it would have cut away to the local news/weather reports on that station.

Many regionals take UE's FM feed, which is normally recorded about :45 to :50

Often someone/something stuffs up and stations get David Armstrong or Tony Tardio and AW News... biggrin.gif