Fairfax Radio Network

• Please log in to reply
3114 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   tiger_tim #1301

• 643 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

Today's Daily Telegraph reports that Morrison is going to 2UE...but nothing can be confirmed as yet as he's still contracted til the end of January. Also mentioned that 2GB were chasing Paul Murray to take over Drive, but now he's gone to 2UE as well

OFFLINE   newtaste #1302

• News Contributor

• 5,311 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:50 PM

From today's SMH:

Rumour, speculation, a lot of smoke and maybe just a glimpse of fire. Yesterday the radio world was buzzing with a rumour that the radio 2GB talk-show host Jason Morrison had jumped ship to take up 2UE's breakfast microphone, to be vacated in the new year by John Stanley and Sandy Aloisi.

''All I can say is really that we would certainly like to have someone of the calibre of Jason Morrison at 2UE,'' the station's program director, Peter Brennan, told us. ''I think he represents part of the future of talk radio. He has wide life experience for a man of his years, he's an interesting person who's interested in everything, he's an outstanding communicator who knows Sydney, and understands its psyche.''
The industry website Radioinfo has been billowing speculation like a smoking volcano of late, reporting Steve Liebmann's resignation, as well as scuttlebutt that Stanley will get Tim Webster's afternoon shift. It also carried a report yesterday that Hadley's producer at 2GB, Sophie Onikul, had been poached by 2UE, and this had caused Hadley much upset.

Quizzed about the industry chatter, Peter Brennan, son of John, said: ''There's been a lot hearsay in the past few weeks, and I really can't say too much more.'' However, he confirmed, ''Sophie will be joining us in 2011.''
http://www.smh.com.a...1130-18fec.html

Hadley must be seething, and butting a few heads.

Edited by newtaste, 30 November 2010 - 11:50 PM.

OFFLINE   tiger_tim #1303

• 643 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

It also carried a report yesterday that Hadley's producer at 2GB, Sophie Onikul, had been poached by 2UE, and this had caused Hadley much upset.

However, he confirmed, ''Sophie will be joining us in 2011.''

Gee, Ray will not be happy, with one of his team leaving. UE is looking like it will be sounding fresh and energetic next year

OFFLINE   roosterboy60 #1304

• 245 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

Firstly, let me just say that the signing of Jason Morrison is an awesome one for 2UE and very very impressive.

However, I know this is only a small community of people but 2UE are revamping to obviously get more listeners so I wanted to do a little survey amongst the members here to see if you'll be listening more, the same or less next year as the schedule is getting a little bit more decided.

Breakfast: (Currently John and Sandy, next year Jason Morrison) - Will be listening more to this. As much as I like John I don't think the breakfast show suited him and I think Morrison will be awesome in Breakfast.

Mornings: (Currently Steve Liebmmann, next year more than likely David Oldfield) - Not sure about this one. Didn't listen to Liebmann this year as he really didn't excite me that much. I've never been a huge fan of Oldfield and have not really heard much of his shows. Though I do recall hearing about an hour of his overnight show on 2GB once and it wasn't too bad. Still very undecided on that one though.

Afternoons: (Currently Tim Webster, next year either Tim Webster or John Stanley) - Don't listen to Tim much, I like the guy and he seems like a very nice guy however was better suited when he was filling in for Laws and I much prefer James Valentine. However if Stanley returned to afternoons I would start listening again as I think that's where he's best suited and I loved his Afternoon Show before he moved to Drive a few years back.

Drive: (Currently the Two Murrays, next year more than likely Paul Murray) - I quite like the Two Murray's and think they still need to feature on the station somewhere (more on that in a sec) but I still would probably listen to either Hamish and Andy or (ironically) Paul and Rach more than I'd listen to them.

However with Paul Murray doing Drive I'll definatley be listening. This slot is a huge chance for 2UE as 2GB will have a new drive show starting, 2DAY FM will have a new drive show starting as will Nova and Triple M. Big chance for Murray to get the head start - will be tuning in for this.

Nights: (Currently Sports Today, next year either Sports Today or The Two Murray's) - Firstly, either way I'll be listening. But I have a theory that if Sports Today is to get the axe which I hope it doesn't, they will put the Two Murray's in the 6pm timeslot. Would probably be better suited to nights anyway and won't be as restricted as they are in Drive. In saying that I do hope Sports Today stays.

And I'd still tune into Stuart. He seems to be the only one who seems to have his slot safe for 2011. Obviously not all of this is totally confirmed but from the above - would you be listening more or less? Would like your opinion on the different shows as well. I think I'll be tuning in more, at least to start with.

OFFLINE   newtaste #1305

• News Contributor

• 5,311 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Mike Smith currently on 4BC is to take over Afternoons on 2UE.

http://www.courierma...o-1225964025315

That came from nowhere. It is now a total clean out from 5:30am to 8:00pm.

OFFLINE   Kerry's Ghost #1306

• 40 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

It is now a total clean out from 5:30am to 8:00pm.

2UE has a rich heritage in Sydney that they have destroyed over recent years. Some of the biggest names in the business have starred on the station over the years. However, this apparent purge is bound to failure. The Brennan's are obviously trying to position the station to attract a younger demo than GB - this won't work. It's all been tried before at UE and other stations (Remember Vega-Talk), talk listeners are 55 plus, UE risk losing their rusted on on core audience of about 4% with this folly. This, I fear, is the last role of the dice for the once great station. Brennan senior is too old and Brennan junior too inexperienced to pull this off. It's very sad to see a once great broadcaster die a slow death. 2011 will see 2GB and the ABC prosper as the last of UE's audience goes elsewhere. The first rule of programming is incremental change, this is a blood bath and the audience never takes kindly to being treated like this. RIP 2UE.

OFFLINE   newtaste #1307

• News Contributor

• 5,311 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

David Oldfield confirmed for 2UE Mornings, Michael Smith on Afternoons, Paul Murray on Drive.

Weekends have changed: John Stanley on Breakfast, George and Paul still on Morning & Afternoon, Tim Webster on Late Afternoon.

Don Burke and Clive Robertson have been chopped. Burke was making a bucket of money for 2UE and was widely networked, so this would have to be a risky move.

More: http://www.dailytele...0-1225964102003

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #1308

• Forum Moderator

• 3,731 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:34 PM

David Oldfield confirmed for 2UE Mornings, Michael Smith on Afternoons, Paul Murray on Drive.

Weekends have changed: John Stanley on Breakfast, George and Paul still on Morning & Afternoon, Tim Webster on Late Afternoon.

Don Burke and Clive Robertson have been chopped. Burke was making a bucket of money for 2UE and was widely networked, so this would have to be a risky move.

More: http://www.dailytele...0-1225964102003

What happens to the Two Murrays? I'm with Kerry's Ghost on this. They'll end up alienating the listeners they have. The only alternative is ABC 702. Smith is a nobody in Sydney and Oldfield is as uncomfortable to listen to as Liebo was. I'm a young talkback listener- not yet forty- this line up does not appeal to me at all, the target audience. I'll sample Paul Murray but leave the rest of the weekday line up and head elsewhere.

OFFLINE   Sub #1309

• 1,385 posts since
  • June 2008

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:25 AM

Surely the Two Murrays can't be dropped completely... I've been hearing ads for their trip overseas with listeners sometime in 2011.

It'll be a bit embarrassing if they do this while not being part of the 2UE line-up.

I reckon put them at weekend afternoons and move Webster as a fill-in.

... Or have the Two Murrays on Saturday night (they'll be good up against Glenn Wheeler) ...

OFFLINE   Gilbo #1310

• Senior Forum Administrator

• 2,500 posts since
  • November 2003

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

It does surprise me that 2UE are going for a relative unknown in the afternoon slot, especially when there is such widespread change across the rest of their schedule.

Users here may be championing the coup to grab Paul Murray for drive, but Kerry's Ghost is right - the talk market is dominated by the older demographic and I think they'll struggle to bring in a younger audience.

OFFLINE   rockstars #1311

• 106 posts since
  • December 2010

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

the Two Murrays are doing 6-9pm.

Sports Today hosts John Gibbs will do brekky sports reports and Greg Alexander afternoon sports reports.

I think it's a great lineup, one for the future especially when Alan Jones retires or passes.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #1312

• Forum Moderator

• 3,731 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Predictably Hadley has already come out swinging punches. The Daily Telegraph printed this quote: "There's one person on the whole network who doesn't rate No. 1 and he's going to 2UE... Need I say more. And he's going there to take on Alan Jones- blub-blub-blub-blubaloo."

OFFLINE   rockstars #1313

• 106 posts since
  • December 2010

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

Ray Hadley is just a sad, pathetic individual with no class, dignity or respect. It's why he's suited to 2GB. It's also why his wonderful, talented and loved producer Sophie Onikul is much better off at 2UE where she has defected to.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #1314

• Forum Moderator

• 3,731 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

Ray Hadley is just a sad, pathetic individual with no class, dignity or respect. It's why he's suited to 2GB. It's also why his wonderful, talented and loved producer Sophie Onikul is much better off at 2UE where she has defected to.

Yes, there's probably a really good story behind Sophie's move and I would think it has a something to do with how she is treated by the "talent".

OFFLINE   trentcs #1315

• 2014 joint AFL Tipping Champion

• 194 posts since
  • July 2009

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:25 AM

I've flicked through this thread so sorry if it has already been mentioned.

Paul Murray tweeted earlier today that he will be doing drive from 3-6pm.

http://twitter.com/Paul_MurrayMMM

OFFLINE   rockstars #1316

• 106 posts since
  • December 2010

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

I'll do the full list as it appears its only cobbled together above:

5.30-9 - Jason Morrison
9-12 - David Oldfield
12-3 - Michael Smith
3-6 - Paul Murray
6-9 - Two Murrays
9-midnight - Stuart Bocking.

John Stanley weekend breakfast, George and Paul Weekend mornings, Tim Webster Weekend afternoons.

OFFLINE   rockstars #1317

• 106 posts since
  • December 2010

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

ok this is weird - from AdNews:

Fairfax Radio Network's 2UE has handed radio host Tracey Spicer her own show, after acting as a co-host for the past year on 2UE Mornings and Breakfast. She will now host her own afternoon program.

Not sure where she fits - Michael Smith, Paul Murray and Two Murrays are 12-9pm.

OFFLINE   Gilbo #1318

• Senior Forum Administrator

• 2,500 posts since
  • November 2003

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

Weekend afternoons perhaps?

OFFLINE   rockstars #1319

• 106 posts since
  • December 2010

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

perhaps - Tim Webster 12-3, Tracy Spicer 3-6 - weekends might be worth a listen to again.

OFFLINE   tiger_tim #1320

• 643 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

perhaps - Tim Webster 12-3, Tracy Spicer 3-6 - weekends might be worth a listen to again.

Or Webster on later doing a more sports-based show?