Fairfax Radio Network

• Please log in to reply
3096 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   AmFmDigital #1761

• 15 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

4BH's 1000 Greatest Songs of All Time fantastic as usual. Great for a roadtrip :))

The 1000 best songs of all time? Highly subjective. Glad they dropped the "voted by listeners" nonsense. Highly implausible that they get some one who voted for 512 and upwards. Make that 46 and upwards. This year (2012) is a "shuffle" of previous years. There are better ways to compile "best songs" lists. It would involve announcers and listeners. Too bad BH wont hire people who would really make a difference. Guess who?

Edited by AmFmDigital, 20 April 2012 - 02:18 PM.

OFFLINE   Brianc68 #1762

• 1,264 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

4BH: What do you mean when you say "rusty"? Too much "rotation" of certain songs? Diversity is good if it is targeted at the audience demographics. The music director is in a rut. Obviously too young to have a "feel" for what is appropriate. He might be getting some assistance lately but it's still far from optimal.

Several songs that are played often are extremely irritating. KD Lang - Hallelujah is one. Eric Clapton - Tears on My Pillow is another. There are dozens of "inspirational" or "saddish" songs that are way better. This station will never get off the bottom rung of the ladder until it is "rebranded". That would require a broom swept through the place - at the upper levels.

I dunno, I'm still really liking 4BH. Although I DO agree with you on those 2 songs you list - both very annoying :-)

OFFLINE   AmFmDigital #1763

• 15 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I dunno, I'm still really liking 4BH. Although I DO agree with you on those 2 songs you list - both very annoying :-)

There are more. I'm somewat ambivalent about Luther Vandross - I Never Danced With My Father. Nice sentiment but no "hooks". A better song (and an enormous hit in the 70's) is Wayne Newton - Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast. Never hear it.

The fact that you agree about those two songs proves my point. Music Director has poor judgement and a lack of skills regarding "polarising" songs. A clever MD would never program those songs.

There are many changes 4BH could make to improve the sound of the station and attract more listeners. It seems the current people are incapable of doing it. They don't see it? Don't want to see it? Do see it but have no idea how to fix it. What's your opinion?

Edited by AmFmDigital, 20 April 2012 - 07:33 PM.

OFFLINE   Matlock #1764

• News Contributor

• 6,170 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

There are more. I'm somewat ambivalent about Luther Vandross - I Never Danced With My Father. Nice sentiment but no "hooks". A better song (and an enormous hit in the 70's) is Wayne Newton - Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast. Never hear it.

The fact that you agree about those two songs proves my point. Music Director has poor judgement and a lack of skills regarding "polarising" songs. A clever MD would never program those songs.

There are many changes 4BH could make to improve the sound of the station and attract more listeners. It seems the current people are incapable of doing it. They don't see it? Don't want to see it? Do see it but have no idea how to fix it. What's your opinion?

At least 4BH aren't playing the same 20 songs in high rotation like 4KQ is (even though their target audience is slightly different). I've counted Elton John- Crocodile Rock played 7 times in the past 4 weeks, and I only listen in the car on the way to and from school.

But alas, 4BH does have its own set of problems. Sometimes they will play a really happy, joyful song (think ABBA- Dancing Queen), then the next song induces depression. Then, there's the presenters. I do not know what his name is but the announcer in the afternoons tends to waffle on about the most bizarre things. Our car tends to stay on 4KQ most of the time, but switch to 4BH during the ads (Frank Walter from National Tiles can get really grating). If the song is good, we stick around but then, as I stated earlier, the next song is often stupidly chosen and we switch back to Classic Hits.

OFFLINE   AmFmDigital #1765

• 15 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

At least 4BH aren't playing the same 20 songs in high rotation like 4KQ is (even though their target audience is slightly different). I've counted Elton John- Crocodile Rock played 7 times in the past 4 weeks, and I only listen in the car on the way to and from school. But alas, 4BH does have its own set of problems. Sometimes they will play a really happy, joyful song (think ABBA- Dancing Queen), then the next song induces depression. Then, there's the presenters. I do not know what his name is but the announcer in the afternoons tends to waffle on about the most bizarre things. Our car tends to stay on 4KQ most of the time, but switch to 4BH during the ads (Frank Walter from National Tiles can get really grating). If the song is good, we stick around but then, as I stated earlier, the next song is often stupidly chosen and we switch back to Classic Hits.

Very interesting that astute people agree about Brisbane Radio Station's problems. The so-called professionals that are employed must be less than competent.

Amazing that songs like "Croc Rock" are on almost the same level of rotation as when they were on the Top 40 back in the 70's.

4BH has a "missing shift". Greg V (mornings) is on between 9 and midday and then extends through afternoons until 2. Pete R (drive) does 4 to 7 and comes on two hours early to complete the rest of afternoons.

My perception is that Pete is trying too hard. Ratings are not great so he is pushing "music knowledge and humour". That's a "personalty's" skill. However a good PD would guide the announcers to use their talent in line with the station's format. More music and less chat is what listeners want.

You wont see a change at 4BH of any substance any time soon. Not until there is a change in personnel. That includes some on-air talent and management.

4BH could be transformed positively in a 6 week time frame. Problem is, the current lot cannot do it and don't want to hire someone who can. A lack of talent and weakness are the reasons. Sorry to be tough, but it's true.

OFFLINE   -Mark- #1766

• 266 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Having a quick listen of 4BH over the net, and musically it already sounds much better then the Sydney crap. Unfortunately like all these hits and memories stations, you'll never hear two songs in a row from the same decade. Every following track is from a different decade, such as one from the 70's, then another from the 80's, then the next from the 60's, then a track from the 70's...... and so on.

This trend in commercial radio seems to be a BIG thing, and it is one of the most annoying grunts I have about commercial radio. So play three or four songs in a row from the 70s, or the same from the 80s, even the 60's. I think playing a number of tunes from the same era, back to back sets a mood, and this constant decade changing makes a station sound so incoherent.

A better song (and an enormous hit in the 70's) is Wayne Newton - Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast. Never hear it.

Sorry, have to disagree, this song is way to depressive, and would never reach my playlist.

Edited by -Mark-, 21 April 2012 - 11:10 AM.

Pure 70s 80s 90s Retro:  http://www.2prfm.com

OFFLINE   Matlock #1767

• News Contributor

• 6,170 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

4BH also has a troubling obsession with Michael Buble.

OFFLINE   edward thirkill #1768

• 180 posts since
  • September 2010

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Yes but 4BH is aiming at a female audience that is why they play Michael Buble . I don't think too many men like him.

OFFLINE   Matlock #1769

• News Contributor

• 6,170 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Possibly the only time I would listen to 4BH without switching at the breaks would be when they have their daily '5 for the Drive'. Just shows how songs which are related (whether it be from same year, album, or genre) played back-to-back improves the listening experience.

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #1770

• News Contributor

• 11,213 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Give me Breeze any day. That 1000 song list should be renamed - Greatest Hits of Last Century.

OFFLINE   Rossco #1771

• 120 posts since
  • July 2006

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

If by some fluke of luck Macquarie buys Fairfax betcha 4BH takes 2CH programmes.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #1772

• 8,407 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

If by some fluke of luck Macquarie buys Fairfax betcha 4BH takes 2CH programmes.

This would also mean that 4BH's music format will be more like 2CH's, in which they would have a more "1950s" sound to it compared to the current 4BH.
Magic in Melbourne is already sounding quite similar to 2CH, so not much changes are needed to be made there.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #1773

• News Contributor

• 11,213 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

If Macquarie buys 4BH - it will be a time warp. 4BH was a Macquarie station for many years and in the late 70s had a beautiful music format like 2CH.

From the late 80s:

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #1774

• Forum Administrator

• 11,427 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

The Age reports on an interesting joint venture coming up between 3AW and GLBT community radio station Joy FM. Both stations will be doing a simulcast on 3 May, with 3AW's Neil Mitchell and Joy's David McCarthy, to discuss the issue of teen suicide with particular emphasis on gay youth. It's not often you see commercial and community broadcasts get together especially for such a social issue. I think it's quite a ground-breaking initiative and a very bold move particularly from 3AW.

OFFLINE   mal #1775

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

The Age reports on an interesting joint venture coming up between 3AW and GLBT community radio station Joy FM. Both stations will be doing a simulcast on 3 May, with 3AW's Neil Mitchell and Joy's David McCarthy, to discuss the issue of teen suicide with particular emphasis on gay youth. It's not often you see commercial and community broadcasts get together especially for such a social issue. I think it's quite a ground-breaking initiative and a very bold move particularly from 3AW.

What a great idea!

I wonder how the simulcast will be done technically, community stations can only run 5 minutes of sponsors an hour, 3AW's commercial breaks will be a lot longer..

OFFLINE   Brianc68 #1776

• 1,264 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Give me Breeze any day. That 1000 song list should be renamed - Greatest Hits of Last Century.

Agreed. While I do like 4BH and listen quite a bit, breeze FM is the winner for me too - love the music choices.

OFFLINE   -Mark- #1777

• 266 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

breeze FM is the winner for me too - love the music choices.

Yes, listening for about 20 minutes so far, and I'm impressed. 2:00 news bulletin comes on, and wow, another radio name from the long distant past, Bryan Lowe. Last time I heard this guy was on i98fm around 1997, early 1998. Even heard breeze play a eurovision hit from the 90's. Wow.

Supertramp - Goodbye stranger (Nov 1979)
Katrina and the Waves - Shine a light (May 1997)
Backstreet Boys - Shape of my heart (Oct 2000)
Clarence Clemmons - You're a friend of mine (with jackson brown) (Jan 1986)
Cliff Richard - The young ones (1962)
Hot Chocolate - Girl crazy (Jul 1982)
America - Horse with no name (1972)

Listening further though, soundes like they suffer the old one song from every decade syndrome. :(

Edited by -Mark-, 22 April 2012 - 02:27 PM.

Pure 70s 80s 90s Retro:  http://www.2prfm.com

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #1778

• Forum Administrator

• 11,427 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

What a great idea!

I wonder how the simulcast will be done technically, community stations can only run 5 minutes of sponsors an hour, 3AW's commercial breaks will be a lot longer..

I hadn't thought of that. Joy might just put in some music or community announcements (i.e. not sponsorship announcements) in the ad breaks, or who knows maybe just have some additional discussion while 3AW's playing ads. The other community stations that simulcast the commercial TV news services I think just slot in their own material when the commercials are running.

OFFLINE   Brianc68 #1779

• 1,264 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Yes, listening for about 20 minutes so far, and I'm impressed. 2:00 news bulletin comes on, and wow, another radio name from the long distant past, Bryan Lowe. Last time I heard this guy was on i98fm around 1997, early 1998. Even heard breeze play a eurovision hit from the 90's. Wow.

Supertramp - Goodbye stranger (Nov 1979)
Katrina and the Waves - Shine a light (May 1997)
Backstreet Boys - Shape of my heart (Oct 2000)
Clarence Clemmons - You're a friend of mine (with jackson brown) (Jan 1986)
Cliff Richard - The young ones (1962)
Hot Chocolate - Girl crazy (Jul 1982)
America - Horse with no name (1972)

Yeah they play love shine a light/katrina and the waves quite a bit. Didn't she win Eurovision with that?

They're also the only station I've heard the latest eurythmics song shining light, played.

And they also play a couple of songs by The Beautiful South, who were huge in UK but totally ignored by Australian radio.

Love the breeze.

Edited by Brianc68, 22 April 2012 - 07:23 PM.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #1780

• Forum Moderator

• 3,686 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

BREAKING NEWS: David Oldfield will be moving slots on 2UE. He will now be heard 8pm to midnight. No word on his replacement for the morning programme.