ABC

• Please log in to reply
2338 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   modecko #1

• 3,090 posts since
  • November 2002

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:09 AM

Looks like the ABC thread has disappeared so I'm resurrecting it. There are a few offshoot threads on different aspects and as each FTA channel has its own general non-program specific thread I thought I'd start this one with what I believe is the first shot in the demise of the ABC by this government.

Howard has just appointed Janet Albrechtsen to the ABC board but what is so controversial about this conservative appointment over all others is she has been a strident critic of not just the ABC but for a long time now of all public broadcasting in general calling for it to be completely scrapped.

Her anti-ABC stance is well known and her strident outbursts have been extremely spiteful so this appointment can only be seen as the first shot in this governments determined death knell of Aunty or at the minimum turning the ABC into a completely pro-Government mouthpiece. This is going to be very important as it continues to renege on its election promises and brings in a raft of very unpopular undetailed policies when it gains power of the Senate.

All I can say is watch this space but it won't be good news anywhere and just when Aunty is starting to do relatively well.

Do a search on ABC Board Members to find out more, I tried to hot link to the news articles but it didn't work.

Poll removed:
Are you in favour of the changes to ABC TV?
Do you like the new logo?
Yes - I love it! Get rid of the worm! [ 12 ] ** [13.79%]
Yes - but keep the worm. It's an national icon [ 45 ] ** [51.72%]
No - Why fix what's not broken? [ 20 ] ** [22.99%]
Who cares? [ 10 ] ** [11.49%]
Do you like the new name and changes to the LCN?
Yes - like both [ 39 ] ** [44.83%]
Yes - yay to the new name, nay to the LCN changes [ 10 ] ** [11.49%]
Yes - nay to the new name, yay to the LCN changes [ 4 ] ** [4.60%]
No - Again, why fix what's not broken? [ 16 ] ** [18.39%]
Who cares? [ 18 ] ** [20.69%]
Total Votes: 87

Edited by TGIF, 21 October 2008 - 01:46 PM.

All content is from the author's twisted mind and does reflect his bent personality. He is seeking professional help.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #2

• 3,253 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:19 AM

Just over t week till the launch of ABC2 :)
Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain

OFFLINE   dryfry #3

• 280 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:12 AM

That silly watermark is still there.
It ruined last thursday's Quantum where it appeared the ABC logo was in orbit around Saturn.

OFFLINE   Tranquility #4

• 7,149 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:40 AM

Looks like the ABC thread has disappeared so I'm resurrecting it. There are a few offshoot threads on different aspects and as each FTA channel has its own general non-program specific thread I thought I'd start this one with what I believe is the first shot in the demise of the ABC by this government.

Howard has just appointed Janet Albrechtsen to the ABC board but what is so controversial about this conservative appointment over all others is she has been a strident critic of not just the ABC but for a long time now of all public broadcasting in general calling for it to be completely scrapped.

Her anti-ABC stance is well known and her strident outbursts have been extremely spiteful so this appointment can only be seen as the first shot in this governments determined death knell of Aunty or at the minimum turning the ABC into a completely pro-Government mouthpiece. This is going to be very important as it continues to renege on its election promises and brings in a raft of very unpopular undetailed policies when it gains power of the Senate.

All I can say is watch this space but it won't be good news anywhere and just when Aunty is starting to do relatively well.

Do a search on ABC Board Members to find out more, I tried to hot link to the news articles but it didn't work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, according to what I heard on last night's Sunday Profile program, she didn't seem very anti-government broadcasting, in fact I feel she just had issues with what the ABC was saying at the time.
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   RepoJake #5

• 1,163 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:57 AM

I am glad to see MDA is coming back as a series of mini series

I know Lisa MC Cune is guest starring in them.

Jason Donovan and the guy who played simon isn't coming back

But my fav Petra Yared is and most of the cast

forgotten who else guest starring on the show

I will defently be watching
Seven and Nine don't ring credibility.
Parx-e Web Zine
My MySpace Page

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #6

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:38 AM

ABC2 should be interesting - who is going to have access to it?

OFFLINE   queensland_9 #7

• 307 posts since
  • February 2003

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:45 AM

ABC2 should be interesting - who is going to have access to it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone with a digital set-top-box.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #8

• 18,615 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:54 AM

Anyone with a digital set-top-box.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will also be transmitted on pay TV services as well.
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #9

• 3,253 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:51 PM

Saw the new BTN website, very slick, very slick indeed.

OFFLINE   Carlito #10

• 311 posts since
  • February 2004

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:56 PM

ABC 2 is now broadcasting this:

Attached Files

• Attached File  ABC2.jpg   16.28K   291 downloads

OFFLINE   ESPN_Empress #11

• 243 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:36 AM

That silly watermark is still there.
It ruined last thursday's Quantum  where it appeared the ABC logo was in orbit around Saturn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really, the ABC watermark was around Saturn? Let me see a screenshot, si vous plait.
Believe in yourself, and you...could...go...all...the...way!!!

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #12

• 3,253 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:17 AM

And i think you mean Cataylst.
Quantum finished in 2001.
BTW What channel is ABC 2 on?

OFFLINE   dryfry #13

• 280 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:32 AM

Shows how long I've been watching ABC that i forget about the title of the show but more interested in the content.
So when's Norman Gunston and Countdown coming back !.

OFFLINE   queensland_9 #14

• 307 posts since
  • February 2003

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:59 AM

And i think you mean Cataylst.
Quantum finished in 2001.
BTW What channel is ABC 2 on?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On Digital FTA:

ABC TV - LCN 2
ABC HD - LCN 20
ABC 2 - LCN 21
ABC Guide - LCN22

Not sure what it is on Foxtel/Austar.

OFFLINE   dryfry #15

• 280 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:48 AM

Ah I was saying that tongue in cheek.
In fact I watch ABC alot and a whole lot more since getting a digital set top box.
Go Rage Go ABC News ,can't wait for more Kath and Kim ,Catalyst and of course seeing I'm from WA the local WAFL coverage.
But I fear for the ABC as who knows what John Howard will do to the ABC when he gets control of the senate and the ABC's budget.

OFFLINE   Tanaya #16

• 488 posts since
  • September 2003

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:27 PM

Kath and Kim won't be back for a while, I'm afraid...

Jane Turner and Gina Riley said they're putting their feet up for a while.

And Aunty, please put The Glass House back on Fridays!! It doesn't belong on Wednesday!! NO!!! :)
<span style='color:purple'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Gill Sans'>this has been another post by </span></span></span><span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Courier'>Tanaya</span></span></span>
<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Gill Sans'>I watch Sunrise. So what?</span></span></span>

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #17

• 3,253 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:37 PM

I agree. The Glass House is a Friday Night show. And putting At The Movies, also on Wednesday! Come on i watch The Movie Show! They'er gonna review the same movies at almost the same time.

OFFLINE   Champion_R #18

• 1,030 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:30 PM

On Digital FTA:

ABC TV - LCN 2
ABC HD - LCN 20
ABC 2 - LCN 21
ABC Guide - LCN22

Not sure what it is on Foxtel/Austar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LCN20 should be called ABC Low Definition. Have a look at these side by side screenshots produced by Captainatomic from the DBA Forum. Left is SD and right is Low Deinfinition.
http://img85.exs.cx/...compare37pm.jpg
http://img85.exs.cx/...compare22le.jpg

Seven's Low Definition is just as bad if not worse.

Even the worm they show during the day looks blurry since the change to 576p and for the record ABC2 will look poor as they have only allocated 4.5mbits for it.

OFFLINE   franco #19

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:59 AM

I agree. The Glass House is a Friday Night show. And putting At The Movies, also on Wednesday! Come on i watch The Movie Show! They'er gonna review the same movies at almost the same time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto for The Glass House, provided they don't have another crack at "Let's talk dirty cos we're on late" the way they tried last year, which was uncool. Wit is so much more entertaining.

And what's the story for David & Margaret being on so late and the same night as the SBS Kiddies? They need a better slot, or are they doing so bad that Aunty wants to bury them until they take the hint andf split?

Edited by franco, 02 March 2005 - 08:00 AM.

OFFLINE   Tranquility #20

• 7,149 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:29 AM

And Aunty, please put The Glass House back on Fridays!! It doesn't belong on Wednesday!! NO!!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I keep forgetting it's on :) .

And putting At The Movies, also on Wednesday! Come on i watch The Movie Show! They'er gonna review the same movies at almost the same time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And what's the story for David & Margaret being on so late and the same night as the SBS Kiddies?  They need a better slot, or are they doing so bad that Aunty wants to bury them until they take the hint andf split?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's becasue movies are generally released on Thursdays. With At the Movies being on Thursday Nights in 04, they were reviewing movies a little too late, or way too early.
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org