ABC

• Please log in to reply
2337 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Tanaya #41

• 488 posts since
  • September 2003

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

Not sure if this is new or not, but tonight ABC are using a 2D watermark instead of the usual transperant silver.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've noticed that they only use the silver one for the new breaks and they use the 2D one for everything else.

I'd rather the 2D one.
<span style='color:purple'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Gill Sans'>this has been another post by </span></span></span><span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Courier'>Tanaya</span></span></span>
<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Gill Sans'>I watch Sunrise. So what?</span></span></span>

OFFLINE   Mr Q #42

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:33 PM

The 2D one doesn't look right to me... Perhaps if they did it like the previous 2D versions of the ABC logo (prior to the current 3D continuous band), with breaks in the band, it would look OK...
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.

OFFLINE   Tranquility #43

• 7,149 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:18 PM

I like the transparent silver best
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   MediaJunkie #44

• 153 posts since
  • March 2005

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:34 PM

ABC has the new Dr Who series according to knowfirst.info
Kaos is a friend of mine

OFFLINE   dryfry #45

• 280 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:22 PM

ABC Perth has a cool webpage about the history of the ABC in WA.
http://www.abc.net.a.../tv/history.htm
The staff recently had a farewell party at the Adelaide Terrace studios.
Already radio is coming from Fielder Street with tv soon to come completely from there.

OFFLINE   CaptainObvious #46

• 235 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

Not too impressed with the ABC following in the footsteps of the commercials with regards to running shows overtime and starting the following show late. The Glass House didn't start until 9:38pm last night, and it wasn't the first time.

The commercials want to piss off their viewers, fine. Not acceptable for the ABC. They're not supposed to be chasing ratings.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #47

• 8,408 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:21 AM

Not too impressed with the ABC following in the footsteps of the commercials with regards to running shows overtime and starting the following show late. The Glass House didn't start until 9:38pm last night, and it wasn't the first time.

The commercials want to piss off their viewers, fine. Not acceptable for the ABC. They're not supposed to be chasing ratings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here for me for watching 'The Bill' reruns at 2pm Mondays-Thursdays (when Parliament is not sitting). For example, yesterday, when the clock hit 2pm, there was a promo shown. Are they're going to go to the show being 2pm? No, they play one more promo. Then they go to the show, which by then was 2:01pm. Not a big deal for running overtime by one minute, but I've seen 'The Bill' reruns starting time being overruned by 5 minutes, in which a previous finished at around 1:50pm and playing a filler program along the way. That would finish a couple minutes after 2pm and then they played more promos for the next 2 minutes or so. Then the show started at around 2:05pm.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   dryfry #48

• 280 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

The Bill comes from the commercial ITV so ABC would have to pad it out somehow to fit between 2 and 3pm.
At least I hope thats why.

And ABC has fiddled with their blob (watermark) again making it brighter and moving it more toward the centre of screen.
How about get rid of it ...

Edited by dryfry, 21 April 2005 - 06:11 PM.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #49

• 8,408 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:25 PM

The Bill comes from the commercial  ITV so ABC would have to pad it out somehow to fit between 2 and 3pm.
At least I hope thats why.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's also the reason why a particular episode of The Bill finishes at around 2:50pm (the reruns). Likewise for the new episodes that finish at around 9:20pm.

For historical purpose, The Bill was shown on the ABC since 1986, and was often one of the top ratings show for the network. That is why the ABC rates quite well on a Saturday night because of it.

BTW, I do watch the show. It's good. :smirk:
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   MediaJunkie #50

• 153 posts since
  • March 2005

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:34 AM

Acccording to TV Tomé the new Dr Who begins Saturday, May 21 7.30pm

Source
Kaos is a friend of mine

OFFLINE   K #51

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

Acccording to TV Tomé  the new Dr Who begins  Saturday, May 21 7.30pm 

Source

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sure does (ABC's TV guide has got that week up today).

Interesting to see that the BBC made it a 45 minute episode. I guess they wanted to be sure that it would be on commercial networks around the world with little or no parts of the program removed. Of course, they could have just designed it for their BBC America service.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #52

• 3,253 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:09 PM

Saw in The Australian that the ABC is going broke! Managing Director Russell Balding has warned.

Balding has said that the ABC will soon stop all it's drama producing if it doesn't get a financial cash injection within a few months.
Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain

OFFLINE   Sharpy #53

• 5,866 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:09 AM

Saw in The Australian that the ABC is going broke! Managing Director Russell Balding has warned.

Balding has said that the ABC will soon stop all it's drama producing if it doesn't get a financial cash injection within a few months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the problem with a government funded project - the funding just keeps getting slashed and they still are expected to keep the high standard or operating as when they had alot more cash!

OFFLINE   K #54

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:22 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The story wasn't that ABC was going broke as such. It was that they couldn't fund drama anymore due to government cut backs and the increasing costs of doing a drama production.

Of course, they may start going broke if more ABC buildings get damaged due to the weather.

OFFLINE   RepoJake #55

• 1,163 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:39 PM

hopefully this doesn't mean my fav show mda is getting the chop from producing and being aired
Seven and Nine don't ring credibility.
Parx-e Web Zine
My MySpace Page

OFFLINE   Mitzi #56

• 121 posts since
  • March 2005

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:12 AM

Hi,

ABC viewers should have a look at The Last Detective on Ch 7 on Saturday nights, very late.

It stars Peter Davison (All Creatures Great & Small, A Very Peculiar Practice, Dr Who).

Why this is on seven is a mystery - it belongs on the ABC!

There is also another program called The Royal, which seven has hidden on Sunday afternoons. It should appeal to those who enjoyed Heartbeat.
Quote: "Join your Heartbeat favourites in the small hospital set in the heart of its 1960s community, with all the sounds and fashions of the era."

Another one wasted on commercial TV! Set the VCR or DVD!
Seven sux.

Mitzi

OFFLINE   Mitzi #57

• 121 posts since
  • March 2005

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:27 AM

On Compass tonight the documentary "Madamemoiselle and The Doctor" was shown - but it was censored!

quote from EXIT:
At the 11th Hour and as a result of extraordinary political interference
by the presenter of the ABC's Compass Program, Australia's National
Broadcaster has censored 3 key sequences from the TV version of
award-winning film maker Janine Hosking's outstanding documentary
Mademoiselle and the Doctor.
unquote.

"When healthy 79 year old Lisette Nigot took her own life in her Perth flat in 2002 it caused worldwide outcry. The story of her life and her relationship with Dr Phillip Nitschke pushes the euthanasia debate into unchartered and morally confronting territory."

Apparently it was too morally confronting for Australian audiences to see!
One missing bit showed Ms Nigot demonstrating a plastic bag she had made herself, trying it on, and saying she didn't want to have to die that way.
(It can be seen on the EXIT International website)

Shame on the ABC, for letting the Catholic Geraldine Doogue censor an award-winning program.
We can make decisions ourselves, Geraldine. We don't need you or your church to interfere in our lives - or our deaths!
She should be sacked.

Mitzi

OFFLINE   franco #58

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:18 AM

[quote=Mitzi,Jun 6 2005, 12:27 AM]
On Compass tonight the documentary "Madamemoiselle and The Doctor" was shown - but it was censored!

Would Doogue , as a talking head, have that sort of power? Surely such a decision would have been taken by a grown-up, however misguided. And is she a Catholic? That must be a relatively recent thing, given her adulterous past, for those of us who can remember her time on the ABC's ill-fated "The National" with Ian whatsisname.

OFFLINE   modecko #59

• 3,090 posts since
  • November 2002

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

Does this sound familiar:

This shameful vote is only the latest partisan assault on public TV and radio. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which exists to shield public TV and radio from political pressure, is now chaired by Kenneth Tomlinson, a staunch Republican close to the White House. Tomlinson has already forced one-sided conservative programs on the air, even though Tomlinson's own surveys show that most people consider NPR "fair and balanced" and they actually trust public broadcasting more than commercial network news.2

Tomlinson also spent taxpayer dollars on a witch hunt to root out "liberal bias," including a secret investigation of Bill Moyers and PBS' popular investigative show, "NOW." Even though the public paid for the investigation, Tomlinson has refused to release the findings.3

The lawmakers who proposed the cuts aren't just trying to save money in the budget—they're trying to decimate any news outlets who question those in power. This is an ideological attack on our free press.

The Bush Administration is bringing in legislation to slash funding to all public broadcasters this budget and to do away with all funding for any public media within 2 years even putting up Alston type witch hunts for "perceived bias" and in an identical move not releasing the results (because they showed absolutely no bias).
All content is from the author's twisted mind and does reflect his bent personality. He is seeking professional help.

OFFLINE   Mr Q #60

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:51 PM

The issue with PBS is that many see the success of fundraising efforts for the service as a legitimate reason for government funding to it to be cut. The view is that it can be self-sufficient without government funding. Now, to be honest, I don't accept that view, and I do think there is definitely a place in the market for PBS - a place that needs to be ensured by the government, because PBS as a public broadcaster, exists to correct market failure. There are some conservatives who don't understand the economic principle behind public broadcasting (I've heard numerous personalities on the Fox News Channel criticise PBS on a regular basis - "Why do they need our tax dollars?! Blah... blah... blah..."), and that's where this debate comes from.

I think that's clearly different to the situation with the ABC. While I think the ABC needs to strive for greater efficiency so that they're not taking in more taxpayer funding than they actually need, I don't think there's any concerted effort to destroy public broadcasting - certainly not on the scale that is being witnessed in the US. And for that matter, I don't think we'll ever get to that point either. The ABC here (on TV, on radio and online) is a far more valued service by the public at large than PBS is in the US.
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.