BBC News

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #21

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (MelbourneTV @ Jun 25 2005, 02:09 PM)
I'd rather the full story than edited highlights.... to quote Sky News.

Well sometimes you're never going to see it because there is stuff that will just never get to air.
And the question has to be asked how goes shockingly violent or explicit video actually help tell the story.
In some instances it can be so shocking everything else just ceases to have an impact.
When the hostages were being beheaded in Iraq; would you want to see that?
Does it help to the story? Would you have understood the story any better?
The footage was available... it's just that journalists took the decision not to air it.
You never get the "full story" anyway... every minute of every day a producer somewhere is making judgements about what to put to air... how to put it to air... and assigning a level of importance to the story.

OFFLINE   regionaltv #22

• 3,844 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (Big_Dan @ Jun 2 2005, 01:36 PM)
It's from a local BBC news bulletin...apparently it was the weather girl's last day, and they've decided to muck up a little...it caused an uproar, even though the places are real!
eek.gif  eyepopping.gif  biggrin.gif

On a totally non-related manner, Is that FOXTEL Iq?

OFFLINE   Woz #23

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (regionaltv @ Jun 25 2005, 10:14 PM)
On a totally non-related manner, Is that FOXTEL Iq?

SKY+

It's what the iQ is based on.
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Composition Dept #24

• 1,295 posts since
  • November 2003

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:58 PM

BBC World have changed the break-filler music. I haven't heard it fully yet to give my thoughts of it.

OFFLINE   Woz #25

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Compdept @ Aug 25 2005, 09:58 PM)
BBC World have changed the break-filler music.  I haven't heard it fully yet to give my thoughts of it.

Yes it is much nicer now I reckon.
IPB Image

OFFLINE   The Whipster #26

• 46 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Big_Dan @ Jun 2 2005, 04:36 AM)
It's from a local BBC news bulletin...apparently it was the weather girl's last day, and they've decided to muck up a little...it caused an uproar, even though the places are real!
eek.gif  eyepopping.gif  biggrin.gif

The weather girl in question is Kaddy Lee Preston and the programme is South East Today. It wasn't her last day, Kaddy still very much presents the weather on SET. The place names which Bigdan is correct in saying are genuine and she chose them herself for a bit of fun, which is typical of Kaddy. The bosses weren't impressed but from what I can make of it the viewers saw the funny side and many people (including me) emailed in to support her.

She is a great weather presenter with a superb presentation style and is very popular.

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #27

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

A new look top of the hour countdown on BBC World.

The animation has been replaced by images of people and places from around the world with a digital countdown in the bottom right hand corner.

The countdown looks a bit ordinary... but the fast cut images look good.

As I understand it this is more in line with the countdown used on News24.

OFFLINE   Mr Q #28

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (NewsWorld @ Sep 6 2005, 01:04 PM)
A new look top of the hour countdown on BBC World.

The animation has been replaced by images of people and places from around the world with a digital countdown in the bottom right hand corner.

The countdown looks a bit ordinary... but the fast cut images look good.

As I understand it this is more in line with the countdown used on News24.
Yeah - I'm not such a fan of it. I mean, I like the images and such - it's an improvement... But that ending with the red background and the BBC World logo and "Putting News First" underneath looks pretty ordinary. Surely they could have integrated the globe-and-ribbons logo into the end...
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #29

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Mr Q @ Sep 6 2005, 11:12 AM)
Yeah - I'm not such a fan of it. I mean, I like the images and such - it's an improvement... But that ending with the red background and the BBC World logo and "Putting News First" underneath looks pretty ordinary. Surely they could have integrated the globe-and-ribbons logo into the end...

Yes you're right the logo at the end was a bit average.
But that design seems to be the new corporate look.
A shame really, because as you mention the globe and ribbons are still used in the opener.

OFFLINE   Mr Q #30

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (NewsWorld @ Sep 6 2005, 01:22 PM)
Yes you're right the logo at the end was a bit average.
But that design seems to be the new corporate look.
A shame really, because as you mention the globe and ribbons are still used in the opener.

It's not that I particularly like the globe-and-ribbons... I've seen far, far better mocks than what BBC News is currently using... But for consistency's sake, I think it would be nice for them to have integrated the design better.
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.

[Guest] damo88 #31

• --

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

The globe and ribbons would not suit it at all I dont think, and It is a pretty good countdown, although the numbers are squashed!

New things over the part two and a half weeks on BBC World is the new Breakfiller tune, the new countdown that premiered yesterday and although that showed yesterday was the 6 second or 5sec weather sting.

There are more changes to come though!!

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #32

• 19,995 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:14 PM

Some caps of the BBC World countdown, including EarthTV

OFFLINE   Woz #33

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Reuder7 @ Sep 6 2005, 04:14 PM)
Some caps of the BBC World countdown, including EarthTV
Thanks for those.
Looks a lot like the 24 countdown, apart from the clock being on the other side. That ending looks terrible though.
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Nos #34

• 446 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:14 PM

I saw the countdown for the first time tonight. It doesn't seem to fit with their news presentation as well as the previous one did.

OFFLINE   Woz #35

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:54 PM

For anyone who is interested, here is the countdown and news opener. Recorded at 13:00 AEST today.

I presume it was when News24 and World broadcast the same bulletin, as it simply said BBC News at the start, and the World logo was permantly on, instead of spinning in at the start.

Link To Video - Click Here
Do not attempt to right click and save as. The link above will take you to the download page for the video. yes.gif

If the link stops working, PM me and I will upload again.

Edited by woz_331, 08 September 2005 - 06:36 PM.

IPB Image

[Guest] damo88 #36

• --

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:05 PM

Cheers woz

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #37

• 19,995 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:08 PM

Thanks woz! May I ask how you capped it?

[Guest] damo88 #38

• --

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:44 PM

From an online stream, which im unable to mention on the forum as the stream will be stopped for a certain amount of time.

[Guest] damo88 #39

• --

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:30 PM

Wtf!! Who would of thought the weather on bbc world would of been sponsored by 100% Pure New Zealand! Woooooooo go New Zealand lol.

OFFLINE   The Whipster #40

• 46 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:14 AM

Just for personal interest as we don't get BBC World in the UK, what type of programmes do they show? Sorry to sound thick, but i have never seen the channel!