Doctor Who

• Please log in to reply
628 replies to this topic

Poll: The Definitive Doctor (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is your favourite Doctor?

1. First Doctor (William Hartnell) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

5. Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison) (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

6. Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

8. Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

10. Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

11. Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #361

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

It is indeed an RTD episode, co-written with Phil Ford.

:hissyfit:

Let's hope Phil Ford managed to correct the usual Russell errors.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong

OFFLINE   shinra_elite #362

• 497 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

:hissyfit:

Let's hope Phil Ford managed to correct the usual Russell errors.

How did Rusty D screw up Torchwood? Children of Men was the single greatest sci fi miniseries in the last 20 years!
Yes, I prefer Channel Seven, because it has the shows I like on it. Deal with it.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #363

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

How did Rusty D screw up Torchwood? Children of Men was the single greatest sci fi miniseries in the last 20 years!

Oh Gawd...

That thing had more holes than all the Swiss cheese ever made! If I started listing them I'd have to open up a new thread solely for it-& it doesn't deserve it! :box:

OFFLINE   shinra_elite #364

• 497 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:30 AM

If you're going to say there were plot holes in it, then you better discount nearly every show ever made....He can't have screwed it up, he brought Doctor Who back and made it more popular than ever, has brought Torchwood into the mainstream both here and in America, and has given us David Tennant, quite possibly the best doctor ever.
Yes, I prefer Channel Seven, because it has the shows I like on it. Deal with it.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #365

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

The vast majority of TV shows are going to have some sort of plot holes.I guess sc-fi shows,being much more "fiction" based (or speculative,if you prefer) will stretch things further still.

Russell did a great job re-inventing Doctor Who,no doubt.That alone shouldn't give him carte blanche to ride rough-shod over logic & continuity in his own stories,little lone what he's done to Doctor Who history.(Cyber-king,anyone?)

Without boring everyone rigid & going on about Torchwood,just take a look at the vast majority of Russell-penned Dr Who stories.I'll list a couple of notable examples:
There was that rot on the bus on that Midnight planet.
The fiasco that was the return of The Master-& obvious set-up to an imminent return.
The vomit-inducing return of Davros.
Pretty much the entirety of "The Next Doctor" & "Voyage Of The Damned".

Each of those just listed has major issues in both logic & continuity.

Kudos to RTD for bringing Doctor Who back from the dead.Pity his idiotic writing style seems determined to return it to the grave.

(EDIT:have just come across this item listing the cast for the last of the "specials",currently scheduled to air New Year's Day in England.If this list is correct it confirms one of my criticisms listed above.)

Edited by dbrmuz, 04 November 2009 - 08:41 AM.

OFFLINE   TV Addict #366

• 2,476 posts since
  • August 2009

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

I like the episodes of Doctor Who ... Blink and The Library.... Steven Moffet episodes.

It is a shame ABC 2 didn't get the rights to Torchwood back in 2006. I suppose at the time , the channel was only starting... but to give it to Channel 10 ! Since when does Channel 10 show these type of shows !

ABC 2 should be commended for showing all episodes of Torchwood from first episodes to last episode and going straight from 1 season to the next.

Torchwood - Children of the Earth is on in January 2010. ---Source Tv tonight

and a bit off topic.... Red dwarf easter special is on soon -- source tv tonight... on abc 2 over summer !

I don't care if it is bad.... I want to see it anyway.

Edited by tvaddict0909, 05 November 2009 - 10:54 AM.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #367

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

I can't wait until it's Steven Moffat who has final say over the scripts.The stories he has contributed have been easily the best written.

OFFLINE   shinra_elite #368

• 497 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

According to David over at TV Tonight, the ABC will air The Waters Of Mars on December 6th. I know it's only three weeks after it airs in England and America, but I personally believe the ABC is shooting itself in the foot by not airing it within a week of the BBC.

OFFLINE   shinra_elite #369

• 497 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

Alright, The Waters of Mars has aired in the UK (and America)....and I assume some people just love to fly overseas and watch it legally and everything. So, what did you all think?

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #370

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Have quite literally just finished watching ten minutes ago,so will battle the jet-lag ( ;) ) & join in the discussion.

Now,as previously noted,I'm not the worlds biggest Russell suck up fan,so I will admit not holding much hope going in.Shan't reveal too much,as I believe it's airing soon-ish on Aunty & don't want to be whacked with the big naughty stick by any mods (& too dumb to work the spoiler box).

Overall it was fairly enjoyable.At 62 minutes it was a good length,& managed to hold my two teenage boys interest the whole way through.My oldest has taken notice of my questioning of continuity,commonsense & logic to heart,& after the 45 minute mark had a few questions re:certain "liberties" (not quite the right word,but anyway...).Pleasingly (& amazingly) I was actually able to explain them to him,in context of previous episodes since Dr Who's revival.

I guess my main criticism is typical of my views re:Rusty.The first 40-odd minutes were reasonably well-paced & (relatively) logical.From around the 42-43 minute mark there were a few overly melodramatic moments that were obviously Russell,so that started to test my resolve a little,but ended up being resolved reasonably well (exceptionally well for no-leap-too-big-RTD).

So,on first viewing it gets a :thumbsup: Hopefully repeat viewings yield the same result (as a point of reference,I refuse to watch the last two Christmas eps ever again-once each was once too many).

OFFLINE   bambbbam #371

• 4,067 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:53 PM

I just finished it and I too won't say anything revealing.

I thought it a little slow around the 10-15 minute mark but picked up, and overall was actually a good 8/10 episode. And what an ending!

OFFLINE   shinra_elite #372

• 497 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

Agreed completely. Everything from the 40 minute was brilliant, and those last ten minutes or so were just phenomenal. Sets everything up for The End Of Time quite well - but by god I'm going to miss Tennant as the Doctor :(

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #373

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

So The Waters Of Mars airs tonight.How many of us on that plane last month are going to watch again? (seeing as none of us thought to copy it at the time. ;) )

OFFLINE   bambbbam #374

• 4,067 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

Just watching it now.. I still reckon (without spoilers) that the ending blew my mind!

OFFLINE   bambbbam #375

• 4,067 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

One thing I don't get.. they say at one point that the rocket was launched in 'July 2058'.

Then Adelaide says "we've been here 17 months' - then the date is given as 21 Nov 2059.

It can't be 17 months then.. unless they are just rounding now..?

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #376

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

One thing I don't get.. they say at one point that the rocket was launched in 'July 2058'.

Then Adelaide says "we've been here 17 months' - then the date is given as 21 Nov 2059.

What,some that's not me picking up a Russel fuck up continuity error? :eyepopping: :talktothehand: :shhh: :shhh: No-one around here wants to hear about that! :stirthepot:

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #377

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

If they departed, say, on 1 July 2058, then they would have been there for 16 months and 21 days. I'd call that 17 months.

Really enjoyable episode, although as a fellow Australian commented on another forum, it felt very much like part one of three (which it more or less is). A tad padded, too. But while I've found the Tennant era to be very up and down, this was definitely one of the strongest episodes.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #378

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

So,who's first then? The End Of Time,part one.Any good?

OFFLINE   mubd #379

• 731 posts since
  • August 2006
  • Location:Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way, Universe No. 279

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:14 AM

Are we allowed to talk about it before it comes out on the ABC? Because I know a friend of a friend of a friend who downloaded it illegally.

OFFLINE   Aurora #380

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 5,890 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:50 AM

Are we allowed to talk about it before it comes out on the ABC? Because I know a friend of a friend of a friend who downloaded it illegally.

If you must then please use spoiler tags.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.