Doctor Who

• Please log in to reply
642 replies to this topic

Poll: The Definitive Doctor (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is your favourite Doctor?

1. First Doctor (William Hartnell) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

5. Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison) (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

6. Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

8. Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

10. Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) (19 votes [44.19%])

Percentage of vote: 44.19%

11. Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #461

• 1,571 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

Truly devoted fans can. ;) Doing a new poll now: this one's out-of-date anyway, and it has a sacrilegious grammatical error, repeated ten times...

(For future reference: the Tenth Doctor led the poll comfortably.)

You mean the true long-term Who devotees who don't all just click David Tennant (because he's the only one they've really ever watched)? Posted Image
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, & those who can't.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #462

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

Indeed.Funny how David Tennant always tops these polls. :crazy: Good to see someone voted for Sylvester (not me-I voted Eccleston),though I have a hard time rating his Doctor on merit,as the material at the time was abominable.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong

OFFLINE   bambbbam #463

• 4,147 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

No love for Jon Pertwee?

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #464

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

No love for Jon Pertwee?

Oh yes,I loved him when I was growing up. :cloudnine: :old:

OFFLINE   PZ. #465

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,731 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

I think most of the best stories happened during the Jon Pertwee and early Tom Baker eras - for me it all went downhill after about 1978 but then we had Blake's 7 so it wasn't really the end of the universe.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #466

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

I think most of the best stories happened during the Jon Pertwee and early Tom Baker eras - for me it all went downhill after about 1978 but then we had Blake's 7 so it wasn't really the end of the universe.

Story-wise,the Tom Baker/Phillip Hinchcliffe era was easily the best.Growing up I was more a Peter Davison fan,though I watched everything from Jon Pertwee through until the start of Sylvester,Never saw much at all of the first two Doctors,worse luck.

The show started it's real,full-on decline when they took a year between Tom & Peter,then was all but dead after putting Colin Baker on 18 month hiatus.After that it was excruciating to watch.Like many,I'd given up over a year before they canned it.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #467

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:05 PM

Indeed.Funny how David Tennant always tops these polls. :crazy: Good to see someone voted for Sylvester (not me-I voted Eccleston),though I have a hard time rating his Doctor on merit,as the material at the time was abominable.

I voted for McCoy. For what it's worth, I disagree with your assessment of his era. I certainly won't defend Season 24: there were a couple of novel ideas, but the execution was horrific. As dramatic quotes go, "I have the Loyhargil! Nothing can stop me now!" was an absolute shocker, and probably defines the mediocrity of the stories.

But Seasons 25 and 26 (the final two before the axing) contained some of the finest work in the show's history, and I'd rank 26 right up there with 7, 13 and 14. Remembrance of the Daleks, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Ghost Light, The Curse of Fenric and Survival would all vie for a place in my top ten. Those stories were aesthetically fantastic given that the series was, by that time, starved of resources - and most importantly, they stand the test of time as great story-telling as well.

(As far as the other Doctors are concerned, I'm also a big fan of Pertwee - he'd probably be #3 in my book, behind McCoy and Tom Baker.)

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #468

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

I'd given up by then.In fact,I only watched his Dalek story in 2007.What ruined his era completely for me was the woefully out-of-place incidental music.Seriously crap music that didn't fit the on-screen action.Plus Ace & the "Professor"? :vomit:

Like I said a few posts ago-I find it hard to make an accurate assessment on Sylvester McCoy's Doctor.I'll amend the rest of that to exclude the actual stories due to the woeful production & execution of them.

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #469

• 1,571 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

But Seasons 25 and 26 (the final two before the axing) contained some of the finest work in the show's history, and I'd rank 26 right up there with 7, 13 and 14. Remembrance of the Daleks, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Ghost Light, The Curse of Fenric and Survival would all vie for a place in my top ten. Those stories were aesthetically fantastic given that the series was, by that time, starved of resources - and most importantly, they stand the test of time as great story-telling as well.

Indeed! I've said the exact same thing on this thread a couple of times in the past myself. Sylv & the writing team were just starting to hit their straps & create what could've been a second "golden era" so it's a pity they got cut down just as they were beginning to hit their straps.

The best thing about the series 25 & 26 is that they finally managed to get rid of the greatest Dr Who villan of them all - JNT!

PS: If we could've instead given points for the best three Doctors, mine would've been:

4th - 3 points
2nd - 2 points
7th - 1 point
And an honourable mention for the 3rd.
And I do like Doctors 10 & 11 (even though they missed out).
Best Master: Roger Delgado.
Posted Image
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, & those who can't.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #470

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

So no love for Eric Roberts then? :scratchchin: :duck:

OFFLINE   Aurora #471

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 6,001 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

My favourites would be Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Sylvester McCoy and David Tennant. Haven't seen any of Hartnell, Troughton or Pertwee (since when I started watching ABC1's weekday airings a few years ago, they were up to the first Baker). Don't mind many of the others either but those four I listed above would be my favourites.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #472

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Haven't seen any of Hartnell, Troughton or Pertwee (since when I started watching ABC1's weekday airings a few years ago, they were up to the first Baker).

Bit of a pity: you missed out on some great Doctors.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #473

• 4,147 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

And you missed out on Bessie!

OFFLINE   bambbbam #474

• 4,147 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

For the very avid collector

Posted Image

A set of all eleven Doctors with the TARDIS to hold them all. (Via http://www.buzzfeed....o-nesting-dolls

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #475

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,579 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

Nicholas Courtney, best known as Doctor Who's Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, has died, aged 81.
Doctor Who News Page

Edited by Johnson28, 23 February 2011 - 08:23 PM.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #476

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Sad news. He was much-loved by Doctor Who fans, not just for his on-air role as the Brig, but for his active participation in the Doctor Who community after the series came to an end in 1989. Ever-present at fan conventions and other events, and by all accounts a fine man.

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #477

• 1,571 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

Yes, very sad in deed. I'd been hoping he'd rekindle his role once again for an episode.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #478

• 11,579 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Doctor Who Magazine reports that the new season of Doctor Who will launch in Britain over the Easter weekend (April 23). It will also air in the US on the same calendar date, via BBC America.
This season is split in two blocksm with the tagline: "Trust Your Doctor."

TV Tonight

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #479

• 11,579 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

Michael Gough, the British actor best known for playing Bruce Wayne's butler Alfred in a series of Batman movies, has died at age 94.
Gough appeared in more than 150 movies and television shows, including Doctor Who in which he played the Celestial Toymaker.
Herald Sun

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #480

• 935 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

ABC1 has just run a promo for "Doctor Who", announcing "'Doctor Who' - coming soon to ABC1!". Promo was on immediately before tonight's episode of "Doctor Who"...

(The promo appears to have been announcing that, as of April 30, "Doctor Who" will be seen on Saturday nights instead of Sundays. Which is what they should have said - "Coming soon to Saturdays"...).