ABC News US

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Woz #21

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (SydneySider @ Aug 8 2005, 06:52 PM)
Does anyone know if Seven covered it?

Might have been on 430 from NBC. Wasn't home in time to know though.

I have done the rounds of all the US tv news sites and as I predicted FNC has almost nothing about it. A written story is all that it has. Every other site had a full video report.

I really am sad to see Peter go. I just didn't expect this to happen. It's amazing how quickly things can change. Less than one year goes by and the big three of American news are gone. frown.gif
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Mark. #22

• 3,441 posts since
  • February 2003

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (SydneySider @ Aug 8 2005, 06:52 PM)
Does anyone know if Seven covered it?

Surprising that Nine didn't cover it seeing it was the lead news story on Ninemsn this afternoon.

It wasn't covered in the ABC's 7pm bulletin either.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #23

• 18,612 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (woz_331 @ Aug 8 2005, 07:23 PM)
I have done the rounds of all the US tv news sites and as I predicted FNC has almost nothing about it. A written story is all that it has. Every other site had a full video report.

What a surprise...Jennings was a leftie after all...and we all know how FNC treats those belonging to the liberal left no.gif
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Big Dan #24

• 18,612 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:46 PM

I'm not surprised Seven and Ten didn't cover his death...Nine, a little, but overall, not surprised overall. He isn't that well known amongst ordinary Australians.

OFFLINE   Woz #25

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (Big_Dan @ Aug 8 2005, 07:41 PM)
What a surprise...Jennings was a leftie after all...and we all know how FNC treats those belonging to the liberal left  no.gif

Oh yes of course. But it disgusts me that even at a time like this that they don't give the respect he deserves.
Compare this to MSNBC who seemed to have made a story in the middle of the night about him. (I am saying this because it was introduced by the guy that does the 12am-4am updates).
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Composition Dept #26

• 1,300 posts since
  • November 2003

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

I heard the news a few hours ago, it's a sad day. Rest in peace, Mr Jennings. My condolences to his family and the ABC News crew.

OFFLINE   Lepatron #27

• Retired Admin

• 8,864 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Big_Dan @ Aug 8 2005, 05:19 PM)
I'd say Elizabeth Vargas. Leave Charles at GMA, where they're doing bloody well against Today.

It's going to be a tough choice. Elizabeth and Charles have been sharing the duties the last few months, however Charles has been the main presenter - doing 3 or 4 days a week and presenting when all the major stories break. He'd have to be the front runner but if they don't want to leave a void in GMA, they may recruit someone from leftfield.

But its a sad day - and while he was 67 - he was very young looking I thought and was a very good presenter and surely he'll be sadly missed by many.

RIP

Edited by lepatron, 08 August 2005 - 08:58 PM.

<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Imagination #28

• 217 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:05 PM

CHarles Gibson was excellent tonight on WNT. He was obviously deeply saddened by the death of Jennings however he knew that Jennings would have wanted viewers to hear the news of the day. The image of CHarles hung over at the end of tonight's bulletin with a tear in his eye will stay with me for a long time to come. There is a wide respect for Jennings and his handling of 9/11. He made the other two guys look like fools. He was calm and collected and he knew exactly what the viewers were feeling.

OFFLINE   Lepatron #29

• Retired Admin

• 8,864 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Imagination @ Aug 8 2005, 08:35 PM)
CHarles Gibson was excellent tonight on WNT. He was obviously deeply saddened by the death of Jennings however he knew that Jennings would have wanted viewers to hear the news of the day. The image of CHarles hung over at the end of tonight's bulletin with a tear in his eye will stay with me for a long time to come. There is a wide respect for Jennings  and his handling of 9/11. He made the other two guys look like fools. He was calm and collected and he knew exactly what the viewers were feeling.

How could it have aired already? It's only Monday morning over there.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Big Dan #30

• 18,612 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (woz_331 @ Aug 8 2005, 07:51 PM)
Oh yes of course. But it disgusts me that even at a time like this that they don't give the respect he deserves.
Compare this to MSNBC who seemed to have made a story in the middle of the night about him. (I am saying this because it was introduced by the guy that does the 12am-4am updates).

I agree. Which is why if I ever get pay TV, I'm blocking FNC. yes.gif I may get my info a variety of news sources, both left and right, but FNC is way beyond the right-wing...it's a joke! yes.gif

QUOTE (lepatron @ Aug 8 2005, 08:57 PM)
It's going to be a tough choice. Elizabeth and Charles have been sharing the duties the last few months, however Charles has been the main presenter - doing 3 or 4 days a week and presenting when all the major stories break. He'd have to be the front runner but if they don't want to leave a void in GMA, they may recruit someone from leftfield.

But its a sad day - and while he was 67 - he was very young looking I thought and was a very good presenter and surely he'll be sadly missed by many.

RIP

It will be a tough choice. If they were to go for Charles, and if he were to keep his existing roles, it would be a stretch for him. It'd be interesting to see how they go.

OFFLINE   Imagination #31

• 217 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:11 PM

He anchored the sunday evening edition

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #32

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

A sad day in Television news. End of an era - the 3 big US anchors have now left.
Jennings was a great newsreader, my favourite American anchor. He had his own unique style - arguably more "British" or conservative to Rather and Brokaw.
He also was more calm and collective.
ABC News will sure be a lonelt place for a while now.

I agree that Vargas should take over - but the question is, would the market warm to a female? She sure is a good presenter!

I heard on CNN (flicking channels so missed the commemorative report), but I think they said he anchored coverage of the September 11 attacks for 60 hours!
They also said he was a critic of how it was left to the media to re-assure residents of New York and DC to remain calm.

For the record, Sky led their bulletin with the news at 3pm.
Some Articles:
http://abcnews.go.co.../PeterJennings/
http://www.cnn.com/2...obit/index.html
http://www.ctv.ca/se...?hub=TopStories

OFFLINE   Lepatron #33

• Retired Admin

• 8,864 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Imagination @ Aug 8 2005, 08:41 PM)
He anchored the sunday evening edition

But i thought i read he died just before midnight.

OFFLINE   Imagination #34

• 217 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (lepatron @ Aug 8 2005, 09:22 PM)
But i thought i read he died just before midnight.

I was confused because the WNT graphics were being used. It must have been a special report.

OFFLINE   Jimmy James #35

• 4,884 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:27 PM

OMG - this comes as a shock - I remember hearing that he had some medical problems but I didn't know it was that bad.

I loved to watch WNT on Nine and later when I got sky news. The US National Newscasts are more like current affairs shows - quite interesting and in depth - not the nightly crime spree which characterises our national bulletins!

Jennings was the quintessential foreign correspondent out in the field type anchor. Negus and Waley would've taken a lot of image cues from this guy.

There's a moment in an early episode of Seinfeld where George claims that Jennings must have had "work done" - meaning plastic surgery, marking Jennings as the best looking of the news anchors (also the clearest speaking!)

This is incredibly sad news - I'll be watching GMA tommorrow morning to see what they do.
Words to live by...
Follow the RANT
TELEVISION RANT

OFFLINE   Mr Q #36

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:31 AM

Well, Monday's edition of ABC World News Tonight was one of the most moving broadcasts I have seen. Virtually the entire half hour was dedicated to the life and memory of Peter Jennings, apart from a brief overview of the news headlines in an abbreviated second block. I dare say it was precisely the sort of broadcast that Peter Jennings himself would have hated - but equally I'm sure it's something that the long time viewers of his would have greatly respected and appreciated.
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.

OFFLINE   Jac2287 #37

• 2,215 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:44 PM

NBC Today started the show with a tribute to Peter and they then crossed to Tom Brokaw for a quick interview. Towards the end of the show Katie talked to Barabra Walters in the ABC studio which I thought was nice.

OFFLINE   Jac2287 #38

• 2,215 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (news4U @ Aug 9 2005, 02:42 PM)
GMA devoted almost the entire broadcast to Jennings. Various tributes from colleagues (including Rather and Brokaw), interviews with experts on lung cancer, career retrospective... The only thing not related to the passing of Jennings were the news breaks, a piece on the delayed shuttle landing and the weather segments. For a TV news history buff, it was quite a treat.

I should have taped GMA in stead eyepopping.gif I never thought about that I only watch NBC frown.gif

OFFLINE   Lepatron #39

• Retired Admin

• 8,864 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:59 PM

ABC News isn't ready to let the late Peter Jennings go just yet, saying its nightly news program, "World News Tonight With Peter Jennings," will retain that title for the near future.

OFFLINE   Mawk #40

• 4,829 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (news4U @ Aug 8 2005, 07:40 PM)
I had the same thought.

Very poor form on the part of N9N tonight not to mention the passing of Peter Jennings, a man who appeared on Nine for more than two decades anchoring major world events and disasters through their exclusive rights to ABC News America. He was also very familiar to daytime viewers who saw him anchor "ABC World News Tonight" for many years in the 10:30am slot on Nine and now on Sky News. You're right MARK!, at the very least It deserved a brief v/o. It wasn't covered by Seven (not surprised) and I saw most of Ten News from 5:10pm and didn't see it there. I recorded Nine's 4:30 News and just spooled through most of it. It didn't get a mention there either. Bloody pitiful.

(EDIT:  Sorry Mark, it was your post I was referring to).

research your information first news4U
I remember seeing it on seven on one fo their bullitens
Can't remember which one though
It is also on their news website as one of their top stories
http://seven.com.au/...opstories/98626

Edited by mawk, 09 August 2005 - 03:10 PM.

[b]Love you Queensland!
Mawk @ MediaSpy
Your regular video contributor from Brisbane