British Television

• Please log in to reply
611 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   bambbbam #501

• 4,091 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

Has anyone else been following the Midsomer Murders story?

The executive producer has been sacked after this came out: "The controversy erupted after he said he did not use black and Asian people in the series because ‘it wouldn’t be an English village with them’.

In the Radio Times he described Midsomer Murders as the ‘last bastion of Englishness’ which relied on an ‘English genteel eccentricity’, and suggested it would not work if there was racial diversity in the village. He also said that if he had more minority cast members ‘we might be in Slough’."

"Mr True-May was adamant that he was not stepping down from his role. He claimed that his comments may have been misinterpreted.

Many fans of the show expressed their anger on the internet over what they saw as an overreaction by ITV and the production company.

But Labour MP Keith Vaz, chairman of his party’s Ethnic Minority Taskforce, said: ‘I am appalled at Mr True-May’s comments.

‘The decision to exclude ethnic minorities from Midsomer Murders not only misrepresents modern Britain, but also dismisses the valuable role ethnic minorities play in enriching our country.’"

http://www.dailymail...k-gardener.html

Edited by bambbbam, 16 March 2011 - 08:43 PM.

OFFLINE   craig77 #502

• 858 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

Well, Simon Cowell's new show "red or black" has began in the UK, ITV has made some serious changes to it's schedule for this week to strip the show across the whole week. It started well out of X-factor on Saturday night with around 8.5m, dipped to about 4.5m on Monday but seems to have settled around the 5 million mark. While the numbers aren't bad, they arent that great either for an enormously expensive show and one would think that ITV were hoping for more.

OFFLINE   tvworld #503

• 153 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:42 AM

The X Factor has finished, what will now make the primetime slot on Saturday now?
thetvworld.org/ftvworld

OFFLINE   newtaste #504

• News Contributor

• 5,141 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

Virgin Media have started to censor their pay TV EPG, censoring filthy words such as Arsenal and Hitchcock.

http://themediablog....p-gone-mad.html

OFFLINE   Moe #505

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

http://tvtropes.org/...unthorpeProblem is a fun read.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #506

• 18,508 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

FremantleMedia are bringing back the old Thames brand...but this is as far removed from that iconic rising building and the River Thames that you can get...

Posted Image

and if you don't know or remember who Thames are/were (former London weekday ITV company formed as a joint venture between Rediffusion and ABC, lasted from 1968 to 1992)...you might remember this...

Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   kevizz #507

• 4,746 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

Ooph! That is a truly hideous logo.

OFFLINE   tvworld #508

• 153 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

British desiner truly do know how to create a logo... NOT. Look at Daybreaks and More 4's

Attached Files

thetvworld.org/ftvworld

OFFLINE   JamesJ #509

• 223 posts since
  • May 2011

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

More 4 isn't the greatest logo, the watermark for it is just a confused grey mess, but the idents are very well done. It's a good rebrand, but IDK, maybe just put the MORE below the 4 instead of in it? It gets lost in the colour.

Daybreak is a bit plain, but it's not dreadful. I'd put it above the text of the new Today logo!

Edited by JamesJ, 01 February 2012 - 01:10 AM.

OFFLINE   JamesJ #510

• 223 posts since
  • May 2011

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

OFFLINE   tvworld #511

• 153 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

Yeah, the more4 rebrand is good, I like the style of the Idents... but the logo on its own is a bit... *Blah*

Is Britain the only country that have voiceovers over the idents?
thetvworld.org/ftvworld

OFFLINE   newsboy29 #512

• 118 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

I've said it before, I think it's brilliant. Australian networks could definitely learn from this approach.

Because it's for tv, they've designed it to be an animated logo, not just a static logo. That's how you have to judge it. Over time, when people see the static logo, in their heads they will see it animating (flipping). That's when the static logo will start to mean more on its own.

Here's a backgrounder from thre creators... It's worth a look

http://manvsmachine....t/more4_rebrand

OFFLINE   Big Dan #513

• 18,508 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Is Britain the only country that have voiceovers over the idents?

No, European countries generally do it as well...it's called out of vision continuity annoucements.
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   tvworld #514

• 153 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

5 News moved from Sky News to ITN. Here is the video from the opening. Nice set but CSO seems bad - most likely due to them using an old studio at ITN headquarters. And dont even go there with the music

Full coverage here, http://thetvworld.or...-5-news/current

Edited by tvworld, 21 February 2012 - 04:05 AM.

thetvworld.org/ftvworld

OFFLINE   Matlock #515

• News Contributor

• 6,076 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Out of Australian, American and British TV, I can safely say that British television is probably the most unique and interesting. TV over there seems so much more vibrant and interesting...

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #516

• 6,329 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Agreed. I'd wouldn't be dissapointed if our networks adopted some elements of British Television. As for the new 5 News Opener, what's with the music? It screams "Generic News Theme from a Production Music CD" to my ears.

OFFLINE   kevizz #517

• 4,746 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Unique and interesting in isolation, perhaps. But when compared to ITV and Channel 4's news programs, it looks bland and repetitive. There's nothing new about its presentation that isn't already being done by ITV and 4, which I suppose is down to the fact that all three are produced by the same external company.

It still looks good (and will look better when their physical set is completed), but it would be nice if ITN put more effort into differentiating their productions.

I also can't help but see similarities to ABC News' look. Not suggesting they copied, but BDA's work for ABC has definitely created a design trend.

Edited by kevizz, 21 February 2012 - 06:26 PM.

OFFLINE   Matlock #518

• News Contributor

• 6,076 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Unique and interesting in isolation, perhaps. But when compared to ITV and Channel 4's news programs, it looks looks bland and repetitive. There's nothing new about its presentation that isn't already being done by ITV and 4, which I suppose is down to the fact that all three are produced by the same external company.

I wasn't referring so much to the news graphics but rather British television in general- the VO between promos with a generic bumper ID is something unheard of here in Australia, yet most of the cable channels in the UK have them. It's a completely different, laidback and refreshing approach.
Probably the only package here which even barely resembles the UK syle was Nine's 2006 'This is Channel Nine' IDs with celebs doing random stuff.

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #519

• 6,329 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

There's nothing new about its presentation that isn't already being done by ITV and 4, which I suppose is down to the fact that all three are produced by the same external company.

That's one thing I'm glad we have in Australia, every network broadcasting different news bulletins with different viewpoints. Not to mention our composite Local/National/International evening news bulletins in the 5 capital cities on the ABC & the commercial networks. I wouldn't want to see a UK style local bulletin with local news content which is not too far removed from what WIN churns out in regional Australia.

The VO between promos with a generic bumper ID is something unheard of here in Australia, yet most of the cable channels in the UK have them. It's a completely different, laidback and refreshing approach.

From what I've seen, the VOs on idents they have over there work well, although the announcements can be a mouthful when they're including content advisories that should be left to a separate screen like what we've got on our FTA/Pay TV channels. And the FTAs have continuity announcements on their idents as well as the Pay TV channels.

Probably the only package here which even barely resembles the UK syle was Nine's 2006 'This is Channel Nine' IDs with celebs doing random stuff.

Wrong thread, but I quite liked the original 2006 Nine package. I was very dissapointed when they dumped it for the "warehouse" look around May that year.

Edited by SydneyCityTV, 21 February 2012 - 06:32 PM.

OFFLINE   tvworld #520

• 153 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

Here in UK we must be the only country that have Continuity announcers. Our Idents are longer but then we don't have lineups... well only at the end of programs for whats coming up on other channels ie, on ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and you rarely see them now days.

All our local stations have the same or similar looks (Except STV and UTV on ITV1 due to them not been owned by ITVplc)...
thetvworld.org/ftvworld