Climate & Weather

• Please log in to reply
4007 replies to this topic

ONLINE   TV_Expert #1

• 8,407 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Mark @ Aug 30 2005, 06:13 PM)
Jaynie Seal did a feature report in tonight's bulletin about the weather patterns that are causing the prolonged drought and above average temperatures.

I haven't seen tonight's report on N9N Sydney, but I'm quite an expert on climate as well without having seen the report. Hopefully, anyone watching that report can tell me. wink.gif

Anyway, what is interesting is that tomorrow, Sydney & Brisbane will be in around the mid-20s on the last day of winter, while other capital cities (exc. Darwin) will be in their mid-teens (14-17'C) which is actual real winter weather. How does that work? It happens more often than not at this time of the year.

Personally, I want the weather during winter to be REALLY just that, winter, not having some elements of early spring or late summer, which Sydney seems to have. Because of that, I sometimes think that Sydney only has two seasons, Summer & Winter, while other capital cities (except Brisbane & Darwin) have four distinct seasons.

Talking about the city's climate in which I live in, Sydney, summer is so humid that it is so uncomfortable to settle into. no.gif
Personally, my parents don't really like summer and often think of better places where it is not so humid, let alone not so hot, which is why my parents would like to live in Tasmania, if they could move out of Sydney.
Melbourne has a more comfortable summer weather, which is not as humid as Sydney, although it has more days above 35'C than Sydney (city centre).

If you like to check the climate in your town, suburb or city, click on this link: http://www.bom.gov.a...clim_avg1.shtml

What do you think of the climate in your city?

Edited by TV_Expert, 30 August 2005 - 07:55 PM.

TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   Big Dan #2

• 18,597 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:03 PM

I don't mind Bathurst or Scone's climate...the only thing I don't like are the 40 degree days in summer! scared.gif crazy.gif
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Tom #3

• 3,411 posts since
  • June 2004

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:06 PM

Melbourne's weather is terrible at times and beautiful at times.

But when it is beautiful, it is beatuful and when it is terrible, it is terrible.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #4

• 3,252 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (Tom @ Aug 30 2005, 08:06 PM)

But when it is beautiful, it is beatuful and when it is terrible, it is terrible.

Same i can put for Sydney's climate, except it's slightly hotter the Melbourne's beautiful and terrible weather
Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #5

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:11 PM

I like Melbourne's climate.
Sure its unpredicatable, but so is life, and thats what makes it interesting.
The thing I dislike most is the on-going rainfall deficiency. Although "Officially" the "Drought" has only been going on 3-4years north of the Murray, much of Victoria has not had near average rainfall for atleast 8 years.
Melbourne's resevoirs are about 53% full, thanks to our stringent water restrictions, which I think arent hard enough. We never should have moved off stage 2.

This winter has been hopelessy mild and dry.
The "cold" came late, and we only really had 3 days that I'd call cold - the 10* ers. Much of the time we've had 14-16* days.
Last night it was 19* at midnight, with the min being reported at 7:30am (15*). We hit 20* this arvo.

I can put up with Melbourne's 35+ days, I cant put up with the awful 20*+ nights.
Some nights the temperature does not go below 28* - that is warmer than Brisbane's temperature some days in summer (Minus humidity).
I do love the storms we get when a cool change comes in, usually not bearing much rain though, but lots of wind.
I hate the fires that are associated with summer too.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #6

• 3,252 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (MelbourneTV @ Aug 30 2005, 08:11 PM)
I like Melbourne's climate.
Sure its unpredicatable, but so is life, and thats what makes it interesting.
The thing I dislike most is the on-going rainfall deficiency. Although "Officially" the "Drought" has only been going on 3-4years north of the Murray, much of Victoria has not had near average rainfall for atleast 8 years.
Melbourne's resevoirs are about 53% full, thanks to our stringent water restrictions, which I think arent hard enough. We never should have moved off stage 2.

This winter has been hopelessy mild and dry.
The "cold" came late, and we only really had 3 days that I'd call cold - the 10* ers. Much of the time we've had 14-16* days.
Last night it was 19* at midnight, with the min being reported at 7:30am (15*). We hit 20* this arvo.

I can put up with Melbourne's 35+ days, I cant put up with the awful 20*+ nights.
Some nights the temperature does not go below 28* - that is warmer than Brisbane's temperature some days in summer (Minus humidity).
I do love the storms we get when a cool change comes in, usually not bearing much rain though, but lots of wind.
I hate the fires that are associated with summer too.

eyepopping.gif sigh: blame global warming
Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain

OFFLINE   Woz #7

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:59 PM

Well I just went for a walk in the rain and the wind in the lovely city of Melbourne, and I have to say I am absolutely loving it.

It really is great at the moment, so exhilerating. biggrin.gif
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Jac2287 #8

• 2,215 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Tom @ Aug 30 2005, 08:06 PM)

Totally agree with you there cheerful.gif It was to windy today though no.gif My hair was driving me crazy crazy.gif

OFFLINE   Woz #9

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Jac2287 @ Aug 30 2005, 09:28 PM)
It was to windy today though no.gif

It was fun!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Jac2287 #10

• 2,215 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (woz_331 @ Aug 30 2005, 09:32 PM)
It was fun!!!!  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

It was horrible confused.gif I don't like the wind... Especially when I am outside all day and I don't have a hair tie :grumpy: silly.gif

OFFLINE   mattrobts #11

• 4,518 posts since
  • December 2004

QUOTE (Jac2287 @ Aug 30 2005, 09:35 PM)
It was horrible confused.gif I don't like the wind... Especially when I am outside all day and I don't have a hair tie :grumpy:  silly.gif

It is a very windy and wet night here in Melbourne..

ONLINE   TV_Expert #12

• 8,407 posts since
  • August 2004

QUOTE (Big_Dan @ Aug 30 2005, 08:03 PM)
I don't mind Bathurst or Scone's climate...the only thing I don't like are the 40 degree days in summer!  scared.gif  crazy.gif

Me neither. crazy.gif
I hate hot days like this. Where I live, we get an average of 2 days above 40'C in Camden (nearest AWS to Campbelltown) and when taking into account with a high relative humidity that Sydney has in the summer, it can be really uncomfortable.
Because of that, I dreaded myself when summer comes around, to put up with this! hot.gif

As far as water storage is concerned, at least you guys in Melbourne fared better than Sydney.

I agree that it can get uncomfortable on a hot summer night, especially if you have humidity around like I have in Sydney.

I like that too as it brings a nice change from a typical heatwave. yes.gif

OFFLINE   Tanaya #13

• 488 posts since
  • September 2003

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

Today in Wollongong, we went through all four seasons in the space of an hour. It started off with spring, went to summer, then to autumn, and now it's winter.

Fantastic. cold.gif
<span style='color:purple'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Gill Sans'>this has been another post by </span></span></span><span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Courier'>Tanaya</span></span></span>
<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Gill Sans'>I watch Sunrise. So what?</span></span></span>

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #14

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

And Sydney siders say Melbourne is four seasons in one day - look no more than your souther outskirts eyepopping.gif

Having said that, the overnight rain has gone, but the wind remains very blustery.

On 3AW last night they were talking about the violent weather of the past 2 days being somehow related to the re-alligning of the equinox or something along those lines.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #15

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:59 PM

Falling tree kills teen on school camp
14:00 AEST Wed Aug 31 2005
AAP
By ninemsn staff and AAP

The teenager killed by a falling tree at a school camp in Victoria's east overnight was a vibrant and popular girl, her school has said.

Sixteen-year-old Alice Sloan is thought to have died instantly about 2.30am (AEST) today when a tree fell across the tent she was sleeping in.

Alice, who has three younger sisters, was one of a group of 12 camping at a site near McKillops Bridge, a remote East Gippsland town about 540km east of Melbourne.

A second girl in the tent escaped injury.

Margaret Webb, principal of Toorak College at Mt Iliza where Alice was a student, said all members of the school community were devastated by the tragic news.

"We held this girl in the highest regard, and we feel compassion and concern for the family," she said.

The school's deputy principal, Jeanne Shaw, said Alice would be remembered as a vibrant, popular and enthusiastic student.

She said the school was satisfied every precaution had been taken on the trip.

The tree was felled during storms that battered much of south-eastern Australia overnight.

State Emergency Service crews were kept busy as winds gusted to more than 100km/h .

Spokesman Peter Cocks said the SES has received 1150 calls for help right across the Melbourne area.

He said most calls related to trees or branches falling on houses, driveways and roads.

OFFLINE   Splashmo #16

• 11,390 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:38 PM

I think Adelaide has a great climate. Nice and mediterranean.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #17

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

Shame about the town biggrin.gif (Joking)

Victoria broke another record last night, a gust of wind blew at 198kph last night at Mount Hotham.
The strongest gust of wind ever recorded in Victoria.

ONLINE   TV_Expert #18

• 8,407 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (splashmo @ Aug 31 2005, 04:38 PM)
I think Adelaide has a great climate. Nice and mediterranean.

I haven't been to Adelaide myself, but I might agree with you. Whilst it can get quite hot during the summer in Adelaide, it is not too humid, unlike in Sydney & Brisbane. The relative humidity at 3pm in Adelaide during February is 37%, in contrast to Sydney's 64% & Brisbane's 61%.
Now that's comfortable summer weather that Adelaide has in contrast to Sydney's, even though it can get very hot! wink.gif

Perth is another city which has a mediterranean climate. It is about the same as in Adelaide: it can get hot during summer but it is not as humid as in Sydney. However, Perth is slightly warmer than Adelaide in general.

For those who don't know, the definition of mediterranean is: surrounded nearly or completely by dry land; used of large bodies of water, such as lakes or seas.

Edited by TV_Expert, 31 August 2005 - 09:39 PM.

OFFLINE   slj #19

• 2,270 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (MorningDude @ Sep 6 2005, 10:39 PM)
I like Perths climate. Its hot and dry in summer, and cool and wet in winter. Thats how weather should be. Not like Sydneys weather where Summer is in September and it rains in February and Ice Storms occur in April..and who knows what else.

Wasn't nice today. scared.gif

OFFLINE   Big Dan #20

• 18,597 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:11 PM

Today was so nice outside. I walked around in my shirt, long pants and sandals...it was nice! biggrin.gif
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985