Climate & Weather

• Please log in to reply
3995 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mawk #81

• 4,829 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:37 AM

Im not sure if Brisbane will get the humidity tomorrow. the other week when it was hot and humid we had just had some rain/storm the night before and today was quite hot but bairly no humidity when the breeze blue it felt great
[b]Love you Queensland!
Mawk @ MediaSpy
Your regular video contributor from Brisbane

OFFLINE   Big Dan #82

• 18,319 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:06 PM

This is tomorrow's forecast for the Central Tablelands...

CENTRAL TABLELANDS

Tonight
Sheep Graziers Warning.
Severe Weather Warning for gale force winds.
Isolated showers. Strong west to northwest winds reaching gale force at times, easing tonight.

Sunday
Isolated showers, more likely in the southwest, clearing. Cool to mild. Moderate to fresh west to southwest winds.

Monday
Fine, partly cloudy. Warmer with light to moderate west to northwest winds.

Tuesday
Fine. Mild. Northwest winds.

Wednesday
Isolated showers in the east. Fine remainder. Cool to mild. East to southeast winds.

Orange for Sunday
Morning shower or two. Moderate to fresh west to southwest winds. UV Index 6 [High] decreasing to 4 [Moderate] under cloud.
Min:5 Max:11

Orange for Monday
Fine, partly cloudy. Light to moderate west to northwest winds.
Min:3 Max:16

Precis and temperatures for Sunday
Orange :Morning shower or two.
Min:5 Max:11
Mudgee :Morning shower or two.
Min:6 Max:16
Bathurst :Morning shower or two.
Min:4 Max:14

Katoomba :Chance morning shower.
Min:6 Max:13

Bold areas are for those following tomorrow's Great Race! biggrin.gif
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #83

• 8,153 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (mawk @ Oct 8 2005, 12:37 AM)
Im not sure if Brisbane will get the humidity tomorrow. the other week when it was hot and humid we had just had some rain/storm the night before and today was quite hot but bairly no humidity when the breeze blue it felt great

Looking at the BOM observations, Brisbane was cooler than expected, but not for Ipswich.
It reached 28'C in the airport & 30'C in the centre of Brisbane. In Ipswich (Amberley), it reached 40'C!!!
Just 40km apart, and they're like 10'C difference between Brisbane CBD & Ipswich!!!

I was in the outskirts of Nowra today, and it was very windy that walking around is almost impossible by the force of the wind!!! cold.gif

Here are the maximum temperatures recorded today in Sydney, Hunter & Illawarra, along with Max. Wind Gust in km/h.

Sydney CBD - 25'C - n/a
Sydney Airport - 26'C - 72 km/h
Penrith - 26'C - 74 km/h
Holsworthy (Liverpool) - 27'C - 61 km/h
Newcastle (Nobbys Head) - 25'C - 85 km/h
Bellambi Point (Wollongong) - 26'C - 102 km/h
Nowra - 23'C - 89 km/h

Edited by TV_Expert, 08 October 2005 - 11:45 PM.

TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   Mawk #84

• 4,829 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (TV_Expert @ Oct 8 2005, 11:03 PM)
Looking at the BOM observations, Brisbane was cooler than expected, but not for Ipswich.
It reached 28'C in the airport & 30'C in the centre of Brisbane. In Ipswich

Iwell it was hotter than 30'C on the northside of Brisbane.
I went past a Storage polace that has a screen that tells you the temp and t said 35'C.
Really shows in a little amount of distance how much the temperature can change.
[b]Love you Queensland!
Mawk @ MediaSpy

OFFLINE   News24 #85

• 1,042 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:31 AM

This is what I woke to outside my house on Monday night.

Auckland Tornado

Not your average wake up call. BOY was it loud!

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #86

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

I hate that term "Mini Tornado".
Either it is a tornado, or it is just severe winds.

OFFLINE   News24 #87

• 1,042 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (MelbourneTV @ Oct 12 2005, 07:42 PM)

Well, not quite.
It is a tornado, just not the size of the ones you would see in the US.
It looks like one, just smaller.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #88

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (ANC @ Oct 13 2005, 10:30 AM)
Well, not quite.
It is a tornado, just not the size of the ones you would see in the US.
It looks like one, just smaller.

I know what it is, but it is a tornado none the less.

It's a term used far too often - when ever there is are strong winds that bring down trees, it is always called a "Mini Tornado".

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #89

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:22 PM

The weather bureau has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Metropolitan Melbourne, including Geelong and both the Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas.
Today is the 6th consecutive day in which Melbourne's temperature has been above 20*. smile.gif
Though it is very muggy today, and is expected to remain so the next couple of days. Typical late October/November weather really.
2 of the past 9 birthdays of mine (which is early November) have been days in which it has not been warm and wet - most of the days have been 26* with thunderstorms!

http://www.bom.gov.a...pl?IDV26500.txt

And this shows the storms starting to pop up.

http://mirror.bom.go...R022.loop.shtml

Edited by MelbourneTV, 20 October 2005 - 02:24 PM.

OFFLINE   K #90

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:35 PM

And they are forecasting showers for the next couple of days for the ACT.

As of the 10:14am forecast, it will be showers and a chance of thunderstorms for the rest of today. Tomorrow will be the same.

Saturday will have a few showers.

Sunday and Mondey with have showers and thunderstorms with Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday expected to have the showers clearing.

OFFLINE   jezza #91

• Chief Administrator

• 682 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (MelbourneTV @ Oct 12 2005, 05:42 PM)

Yep you are correct MelbourneTv, the term "mini tornado" is totally misleading and in reality doesn't exist.
All storms, especially severe storms are capable of producing damaging winds ie squall fronts, downbursts, groundbursts, inflows, outflows etc... these winds could bring down trees, powerlines, take your roof off and even blow a small car off the road. But they are not tornados or even mini-tornodos.
A tornado occurs in a severe storm where there is ROTATION of the cell or within the cell and that rotation extends to the ground. A weak tornado may do little damage but it is NOT a mini tornado.
Yes we do get many tornadoes in Australia even severe tornadoes but fortunatly most occur in remote areas and are rarely documented.

Chief Administrator

Media Spy

www.mediaspy.org

jezza@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Jac2287 #92

• 2,215 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (MelbourneTV @ Oct 20 2005, 02:22 PM)
The weather bureau has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Metropolitan Melbourne, including Geelong and both the Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas.
Today is the 6th consecutive day in which Melbourne's temperature has been above 20*. smile.gif
Though it is very muggy today, and is expected to remain so the next couple of days. Typical late October/November weather really.
2 of the past 9 birthdays of mine (which is early November) have been days in which it has not been warm and wet - most of the days have been 26* with thunderstorms!

http://www.bom.gov.a...pl?IDV26500.txt

And this shows the storms starting to pop up.

http://mirror.bom.go...R022.loop.shtml

It was absolutely pouring when I was walking home it was horrible! The roads were flooding and my umbrella broke, my shoes were really slippery I had to walk home in bare feet, by the time I got home I was saturated from head to toe no.gif Stupid rain :sarcastic:

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #93

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (jezza @ Oct 20 2005, 03:41 PM)
Yep you are correct MelbourneTv, the term "mini tornado" is totally misleading and in reality doesn't exist.
All storms, especially severe storms are capable of producing damaging winds ie squall fronts, downbursts, groundbursts, inflows, outflows etc... these winds could bring down trees, powerlines, take your roof off and even blow a small car off the road. But they are not tornados or even mini-tornodos.
A tornado occurs in a severe storm where there is ROTATION of the cell or within the cell and that rotation extends to the ground. A weak tornado may do little damage but it is NOT a mini tornado.
Yes we do get many tornadoes in Australia even severe tornadoes but fortunatly most occur in remote areas and are rarely documented.

Indeed. There have been several tornadoes in recent years in built up areas in Victoria.
Sunbury, Bendigo and a suburb of Geelong that slips my mind atm... I'm tempted to say Waurn Ponds, but I may be wrong.
There was also a tornado in Brighton (Melbourne) many many years ago that killed 3.
We do get them, often too, as you say - we're just fortunate our populations are more concentrated than they are in the US. (If that makes sense).

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #94

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Jac2287 @ Oct 20 2005, 05:58 PM)
It was absolutely pouring when I was walking home it was horrible! The roads were flooding and my umbrella broke, my shoes were really slippery I had to walk home in bare feet, by the time I got home I was saturated from head to toe no.gif Stupid rain :sarcastic:

The traffis was awful tonight I heard on the radio.
The Monash was down to 45minutes Kings Way to Jacksons Rd..
The Western Ring Rd had problems too - as did many feeder roads.

I love it though when they report traffic nightmares on all freeways, than "The Eastern is a breeze, 13minutes Hoddle Street to Spingvale Road", which is the enite route of the freeway, about 22-25kms.
It is one of the few decent motorways out there. 4 lanes each way most of the way.

OFFLINE   News24 #95

• 1,042 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (jezza @ Oct 20 2005, 05:41 PM)

So I am to call it a "weak tornado" not a "mini tornado" ?

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #96

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (ANC @ Oct 21 2005, 09:13 AM)
So I am to call it a "weak tornado" not a "mini tornado" ?

Well as Jezza said,
A tornado occurs in a severe storm where there is ROTATION of the cell or within the cell and that rotation extends to the ground.
, so if that's what happens - its a tornado.
If its just strong gusts of winds etc, its a severe storm, or just a storm.

Another weather event people get confused about are Hurricanes/Cyclones and Tornadoes.

OFFLINE   News24 #97

• 1,042 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (MelbourneTV @ Oct 21 2005, 01:51 PM)
Another weather event people get confused about are Hurricanes/Cyclones and Tornadoes.

OHH I hate that one.

Well, What I am saying is it was a tornado ('that had ROTATION of the cell or within the cell and that rotation extended to the ground') Just not a big one.

ONLINE   mattrobts #98

• 4,350 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

It is pouring right now here in Melbourne!!

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #99

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:09 PM

It's wierd... the radio was reporting heavy rain here and there, yet we didnt get much at all.
Normally when the CBD gets rain, we get it 10minutes later... but today it just didnt happen - though there was a big rain band crossing Caulfield etc I saw from our balcony today.
David Brown said it had been "very wet" today... yet apparantly only 10mm has fallen in the past 48hours, as another report on Seven News stated.

Melbourne is such an expansive city... the weather changes as you go from A-B.
Werribee gets about 500mm a year or something, the CBD 650... then the closer you get to the mountains the higher it is... the Dandenongs get about 1000-1200mm.

OFFLINE   Mawk #100

• 4,829 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

Seven News reports the storm in Brisbane last night was powerful enough to create a tornado
[b]Love you Queensland!
Mawk @ MediaSpy