Regional WA Ratings Survey #2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Tntnnbltn #1

• 864 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:45 AM

This didn't really it in with any other ratings post, so I hope this is okay...

From GWN:
GWN Dominates Regional WA Television
Ratings with a 61.7% Share

Once again, GWN has dominated regional television ratings with a massive 61.7% of the prime time audience share.

Nielsen Media Research today released the figures for the July/August regional television ratings survey, confirming GWN as WA’s leading regional television station.

GWN 61.7%
WIN 38.3%

GWN scored an impressive 61.7% commercial share of the prime time audience, which is an increase of 6.1% on the July 2004 ratings survey.

GWN took out the entire TOP TEN spots winning 10 out of the Top 10 Programs and 15 out of the Top 20 Programs.

SEVEN NEWS was the number one most watched program, followed closely by HOME AND AWAY, AUSTRALIA’S GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS, and the cliff-hanger final episodes of LOST. Ratings sleeper BORDER SECURITY also had a strong following coming in at Number 5.

GWN News at 5.30pm weeknights came in at Number 9, sharing in the ratings success with an audience share of 82.7%.

GWN General Manager Ian Jones was delighted with the results.

“It is very pleasing to see our position in the market place hold firm.”

“GWN has held the number one spot for 13 consecutive rating surveys, a result we are extremely proud of and a position we are determined to maintain. Our focus will be to continue to provide the best possible programming, news and entertainment to our regional viewers”, said Mr Jones.

TOP TWENTY MOST WATCHED PROGRAMS
    * Total People
    01. GWN Seven News
    02. GWN Home and Away
    03. GWN Australia’s Guinness World Records
    04. GWN Lost
    05. GWN Border Security
    06. GWN Today Tonight
    07. GWN Las Vegas (Sunday)/Mythbusters/Bali Bombing/Massive Nature
    08. GWN Las Vegas (Thursday)
    09. GWN Golden West News
    10. GWN Seven News [weekend?]
    11. WIN Australian Idol/AFL
    12. GWN Medical Emergency/True Stories
    13. GWN Beyond Tomorrow
    14. WIN McLeods Daughters
    15. GWN The Great Outdoors
    16. ABC ABC News
    17. GWN Desperate Housewives [down 12 spots from Survey 1]
    18. WIN Friday Night AFL
    19. GWN All Saints
    20. WIN CSI: Miami

Sunday 24 July to Saturday 20 August 2005 (All People)
GWN Commercial Share and Top 20 Programs
Prime Time 6.00pm-10.30pm

Total People 61.7% Commercial Share 15 of the Top 20 Programs
    People 18 + 62.2% Commercial Share 14 of the Top 20 Programs
    People 16-39 62.5% Commercial Share 15 of the Top 20 Programs
    People 25-54 69.4% Commercial Share 15 of the Top 20 Programs
    Grocery Buyers 62.1% Commercial Share 14 of the Top 20 Programs

* Source: Nielsen Media Research, 24 July - 20 August, Commercial Share, Total People
(Sat-Sun 6.00pm-10.30pm)
* Top Twenty Programs 6.00am to midnight

That Desperate Housewives figure is surprisingly low; it was the 5th most watched program in regional WA during the last survey. I checked over the schedules during the ratings period and only three episodes of Desperate Housewives aired (including the incredibly bad special with Tom Williams & Shelley Craft. The 3rd week of the survey had the Desperate Housewives finale, followed by Grey's Anatomy next week. I wonder if they forgot to combine the GA figure with the DH, as they did with other timeslots that had multiple things (It wasn't listed as "Desperate Housewives/Grey's Anatomy, so quite possibly)... I might email them and check up on that.

GWN's ratings have dropped by ~8% since earlier this year, which I suspect is contributed to WIN getting AFL from both Nine and Ten. AFL contributed to half of WIN's spots in the top 20 programs listing. In addition GWN lost it's top rating program from last survey (Dancing with the Stars) and high-rating My Restaurant Rules.

The Australian Idol/AFL combination isn't a typo. It's from Saturday afternoons, when it was usually Ten's Saturday arvo AFL in the timeslot, except for one week when instead there was Australian Idol - Semi-Final 1 and Verdict 1 back-to-back (first run, not encores).

I notice GWN's shares are lower in the total people group than all of the demographics spanning from 16 to 54 years old. I guess there are a lot of kids under the age of 16 who are more open to WIN? Either way, it's still a solid performance all round.
No sig - No bias

OFFLINE   dryfry #2

• 280 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:00 PM

What about ABC and SBS.
I know ABC's WAFL has a good following in the country and the cricket is on SBS.
Or was it just commercial share of the audience.
And teenagers do like the ABC's afternoon programs and of course Rage on the weekends...

OFFLINE   Tntnnbltn #3

• 864 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (dryfry @ Sep 12 2005, 10:00 AM)
What  about ABC and SBS.
I know ABC's WAFL  has a good following in the country and the cricket is on SBS.
Or was it just commercial share of the audience.

Audience shares were commercial from 6:00pm to 10:30pm.
Top 20 program listing was for all networks 6:00am to midnight.
No sig - No bias

OFFLINE   Tntnnbltn #4

• 864 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:19 PM

The Top 20 program represented graphically, with squares shaded in corresponding to a Top 20 program's timeslot.

No sig - No bias